Snow Problems with Loader Hydraulics

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics #1  

GarthH

Silver Member
I'm setting up a new Kubota front snowblower on my L3940. The setup wasn't too bad although the PTO linking to the blower was more than a challenge.

Anyway got most things running, the subframe would nice pickup the blower.

I am working on the chute rotator and having major problems - one of the simple things I thought.

I have plugged the chute hydraulic lines into the Loaders hydraulics - the ones that would dump the loader bucket - its is ideal as it will be left and right on the chute.

Anyway, the motor would only rotate one way. I've been following the troubleshooting guide, move the hydraulic to the other loader hydraulic ports - no better. I removed the chute thinking that maybe it was binding on something, but nothing. Next I've been working on making sure the fluid is working properly. The motor was great as I removed the quickcoupler off the return line shooting the oil into a bucket. I put the coupler back on and then nothing. Next I tried to put a spare male couple onto the female to see if the valves in the coupler would work - yep it was perfect. I replaced the maie coupler on the hydraulic side - the motor worked until the return line filled and then nothing.

It seems like the return line is not letting the oil to return to the resevoir.

I still have my rear PTO blower on the tractor with the chute attached to the rear hydrualic outlets. They operate perfectly.

There is a switch below the joy stick that I have never used and do not see anything in the manual describing its purpose. I has a lock /unlock picture on it. I'm wondering if it might be part of the problem? Does anyone know what it does? Maybe it locks the Loader? I wonder if it closes a valve on the return lines?

I'm at a loss for what next to try. It seems the hydraulics work well - the rear hydraulics are working. Maybe there was something in the motor or the new lines that has caused the problem although the covers were on each port and line ends, I did not notice anything. The new hydraulic motor worked well when the return line was not connected.

Also interesting is that the hydraulic on the subassembly is now acting the same. It will pick up the blower 3" or 4" but not like before that it would life it a couple feet.

I down to thinking about the switch or something got into the return line.

Any thoughts?

Thank you again.

Garth

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics #2  
My Deere has Regen on the dump. Your Kubota might as well. Try varying the position of the lever in the dump position, hopefully it has a position for full pressure dump in addition to Regen dump.

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics #4  
A common problem people experience when using a Kubota front mounted snowblower with hydraulic chute rotation is the inability for it to turn in one direction including myself. It would rotate in one direction but not the other. It would even seem to be locking up. The solution is simple. Push the joystick lever further to the right. There is another detent in this direction and it's easy not to know you have to push beyond this point. The first couple of times it may even be hard to do or feel very unnatural. At least that was my experience.

The motion will become second nature after a while.

Good luck

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics #5  
Unfortunately most of the "L" series Kubota's have full time regen on the dump side of the valve, so operating a motor or DA cylinder in some applications is impossible.

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics #6  
Unfortunately most of the "L" series Kubota's have full time regen on the dump side of the valve, so operating a motor or DA cylinder in some applications is impossible.

My description above is based on both my L3130 and L4740. I would think the OP's FEL controller would be very similar to the L4740. Even the B3030 I recently purchased for my Dad functions the same way with the blower chute rotation.

Perhaps the OP can verify the joystick will go to this second position while the tractor is off. I can't stress enough how awkward this position to the full right feels past the detent. Much stiffer than going into float.

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics
A common problem people experience when using a Kubota front mounted snowblower with hydraulic chute rotation is the inability for it to turn in one direction including myself. It would rotate in one direction but not the other. It would even seem to be locking up. The solution is simple. Push the joystick lever further to the right. There is another detent in this direction and it's easy not to know you have to push beyond this point. The first couple of times it may even be hard to do or feel very unnatural. At least that was my experience.

The motion will become second nature after a while.

Good luck

Thank you you are correct. It seems like the right side of the joystick has a slot that is a bit lower than the normal resting spot of the joystick so when you push it wide right you hit up against the slots, move it down a bit and there is another 6 inches. That **** motor was spinning like a wild man - nice to see!

Garth

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics #8  
I'm glad it was something simple and you're on your way to having fun in the snow.

If you don't mind me asking what blower and quick hitch do you have? Are you having any success getting the QH connected or disconnected using only the hydraulics? I've seen videos where someone did it without any aids, but I've never had any luck and always need a floor jack to assist. For reference I have the L2180 QH. Mine doesn't seem to balance (teeter) on the park stand.

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics #9  
I bought a L3540HSTC and the 6 ft snow blower, plus other stuff. I had the same problem you had with turning to the right. I called the dealer and fixed me up.
I bought mine in 2012 so they may have changed the linear actuator by now. In my opinion the actuator moves too fast and isn't geared low enough. Mine quit working after a couple of winters, but they gave me new one. To buy it from the dealer it is $750.00.
To save mine from quitting again, I don't power down on the chute when I'm blowing snow. Powering up is fine, just not down. If I won't to go down, I stop and back up a little and then power down.
I had a linear actuator on my 50" snow blower on my B7100DT that was geared much slower (1/2" per second) and never had trouble with it.

/ Problems with Loader Hydraulics #10  
I bought a L3540HSTC and the 6 ft snow blower, plus other stuff. I had the same problem you had with turning to the right. I called the dealer and fixed me up.
I bought mine in 2012 so they may have changed the linear actuator by now. In my opinion the actuator moves too fast and isn't geared low enough. Mine quit working after a couple of winters, but they gave me new one. To buy it from the dealer it is $750.00.
To save mine from quitting again, I don't power down on the chute when I'm blowing snow. Powering up is fine, just not down. If I won't to go down, I stop and back up a little and then power down.
I had a linear actuator on my 50" snow blower on my B7100DT that was geared much slower (1/2" per second) and never had trouble with it.

I have a 2016 KUBOTA B2782B snow blower on a B2650 and experienced the same problem, the chute wouldn稚 turn to the right. After much aggravation I turned to 典ractorByNet and found these posts. So back to the tractor and lone behold, it worked! Thanks to all who posted .... now I知 ready for the pending storm!