being banned

/ being banned #71  
...I've wished my tractor was smaller, lots of times I wish it were bigger.
I think we can ALL agree that everyone should have at least 2 tractors!!! :D :D One Big and one small :D (only if they can afford it and house them and use them both and wash and wax them both and... I'll stop there) :eek:

/ being banned #72  
I think we can ALL agree that everyone should have at least 2 tractors!!! :D :D One Big and one small :D (only if they can afford it and house them and use them both and wash and wax them both and... I'll stop there) :eek:

My Wife, Bless her heart, has accepted it and just sternly looks at me when I discuss buying another tractor. In the end she is always supportive. I only have four. 24hp, 47hp, 56hp and 95hp. All four fill a specific niche. Removing any one would add work for one of the others that would not be as well suited to the task.

/ being banned #73  
So after all the name calling and trolling no one can say why a member shouldn't be allowed to leave a forum clean.

I have no axe to grind. On another forum I sometimes visit, a member had gone to court to resolve just such an issue. I think he wanted all his posts deleted too. I don't know how that worked out for him but it got me thinking. I thought it would be interesting to know why forums won't let you go.

No one has responded to this, so this is a dead end. If the moderators want they can ban this thread. I guess the days are over when you can have a civil conversation on a controversial subject on this forum. So sad.

I think Muhammad answered that question pretty well in post #31 of this thread.

Q: Why wont an internet forum let you leave clean (remove all of your content you have ever posted)

A:
1) Its alot of work to do so. Cost alot of money because its not simply deleting all your posts.....but anytime your posts have ever been quoted.
2) As a member, you agreed to the terms. And the terms clearly state that any information you post...is the intellectual property of this site. So since this site is free to us....no membership fees....we consent to allow TBN to make money off of our content
3) The site makes money off advertisers. Advertisers pay based on the traffic coming to the site. Content generates traffic. So financially, it isnt in the best interest of the owners to remove general content that is helping generate traffic.
4)As Muhammad said.....generally people want to be removed in haste.....and 9 out of 10 times they cool down and change their mind. Now imagine if 9 out of 10 times you they spend $1000 purging someone from the archives only to have them want restored 2-3 days later.
5) He has already said that they comply with requests to remove content that could be harmful and damaging to a member. Like in a legal matter or whatever.

Basically....they own the content. You agreed to give it to them so that they may use it as they wish. Even after you are banned. Why do you feel you should be entitled to it back?

Thats like breaking up with an ex girlfriend and asking for her to return the victoria's secret panties you got her last valentines days......

/ being banned #74  
Kidr wants his panties back - so to speak :eek:

/ being banned #75  

I was with you right up to the wax thing.

My son hosts a fund raiser for the local volunteer fire company, an antique tractor pull & chicken barbecue. I'm drafted to help. In the aftermath & cleanup, (I haul tractors for other people also), My wife looked at me, and asked: "How many of these are yours?"

I figured out a long time ago, when asked; "What kind of tractor does Bill own?", she answers "red". She can't tell them apart. If she sees one at a time, I own one tractor. Size doesn't enter her mind. There are only a few uncomfortable moments. The same is true of welders. I have one, it is blue. Please don't mention otherwise.

/ being banned #78  
So after all the name calling and trolling no one can say why a member shouldn't be allowed to leave a forum clean.

I have no axe to grind. On another forum I sometimes visit, a member had gone to court to resolve just such an issue. I think he wanted all his posts deleted too. I don't know how that worked out for him but it got me thinking. I thought it would be interesting to know why forums won't let you go.

No one has responded to this, so this is a dead end. If the moderators want they can ban this thread. I guess the days are over when you can have a civil conversation on a controversial subject on this forum. So sad.
As LD1 stated, Muhammad already answered that (quoted below). Additionally, sites like archive.org will still have a copy of the thread with the posts in it.

Aaron Z

Technically we could remove all posts of a banned member but anybody who quoted them would still have those quotes in the messages, which would just create a mess in the discussions that included posts by a banned member.

If you were previously banned, reinstatement is always an eventual possibility which is why we leave the posts and the account on the site.

I'd say 9 out of 10 times somebody asks us to delete an account they are doing so in haste and after a few days reconsider their request. If we were to delete the account and thousands of posts, there would be no way to restore it without shutting the entire site down, merging from a backup, etc, which would literally cost us about $1,000 in fees since we pay by the hour for that type of database work.

Granted, if somebody is really sure that they want to leave and never ever return and are okay with their account being lost, we could change their username to guest and reassign all posts, thereby removing their name/username/signature from the site. But we'd have the rights to keep the content on the site.

Whenever we get a request to remove old content that could be harmful or damaging to a member, we comply with those requests.

/ being banned #79  
As LD1 stated, Muhammad already answered that (quoted below). Additionally, sites like archive.org will still have a copy of the thread with the posts in it.

Aaron Z

Just curious. Does that site archive posts in the (Un)Friendly Politics and Front Porch sections that require members to request admission?

Steve

/ being banned #80  
Basically....they own the content. You agreed to give it to them so that they may use it as they wish. Even after you are banned. Why do you feel you should be entitled to it back?

Thats like breaking up with an ex girlfriend and asking for her to return the victoria's secret panties you got her last valentines days......

No, it's more like you installed a wax ring on her toilet a year ago, now you want it back so you can wear it like a crown