GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #22  
OUCH, Ray, ouch!!:laughing:

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #23  
OUCH, Ray, ouch!!:laughing:

Greetings Irving,

I'm guessing you are much younger than Ray and I. My reference was to 8 inch floppy disks, not 5.25 inch lol.

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #24  
The reservoir is not pressurised. It's like the pump on a cars power steering, the fluid is only pressurised when it goes through the pump and out to the cylinders. Otherwise there is no pressure in the system.

Excellent and accurate description. The oil in the gearcase/hydraulic reservoir is at atmospheric pressure otherwise, you would have oil gushing out everywhere.

A slight overfill is of no concern. The oil levels are designed so that oil wets the friction components to lubricate, prevent corrosion and clean. If the oil is severely overfilled, air is whipped into the oil causing lubrication issues and in some cases the milkshake appearance. Air entrained oil left at rest will eventually rid itself of air.

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #25  
Your new nickname: "Irving the kid".

Hows that sound Grandpa? :jump:

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #26  
Ray,

As long as you aren't referring to me as "GrandPa". GrandPas are practical, safe, and wise - I've been energized and comical since I was a kid LOL. (of course I was a "kid" quite awhile ago too LOL)

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #28  
"Start by taking the smart phone away from them." Yes, that was my thought and I really pushed it, but it never gained much traction. I suggested (at our middle school) there be a large box --or something similar-- where ALL smartphones and other personal "devices" would be deposited when kids entered, to be picked up as they left, and locked up the rest of the day. Went over like a lead balloon....

No Axle, I'm not a kid by any stretch! I was into computers in 1965 when we all used time-sharing mainframes (GE 235, IBM 360, etc.) via a teletype and you had to write your own programs. Got out of it completely while I did some college, some military, quite a bit of traveling, working in a variety of service/tech trades, more college, 12 years in HVAC, then 23 years in the middle school.

Got back in to computers with our MacPlus, with the "heretofore unheard-of capacity of ONE WHOLE MEG" of RAM! (Still have it, still works.) So I bypassed the 8" floppies, only used 5.25s.

Retired (from the middle school) 4 years ago, will hit 70 this year (man, that's scary!). Now I play with my tractor, my boat, my airplane, my old motorcycles, and take trips in a small RV. But still a teacher, I guess.

Whew! Apologies for the off-topic, but being the youngest of my mother's (first-marriage) three kids -- you know, the "youngest brother" thing -- and looking 20 years younger than I am, I'm a bit sensitive to the "kid" thing. Been dealing with that all my life. No offense taken, I just thought I'd edumacate ya.

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #29  
I had an Ohio Scientific Computer, with 8K of ram.

It didn't need no stinkin' floppy drive. It had cassette tapes for storage.

When you bought a program, you had to play a game called find the bugs in the code, before you could run it. :laughing:

/ GC1705 - Hydraulic Reservoir Overfill Question #30  
Yeah, well I used to operate and maintain gunfire control shipboard RADAR in the USN...that was back in the day of vacuum tubes.