Vehicle keys - making duplicates

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #41  
Note to self: When buying a vehicle, see how much a spare key costs...
Bird, no offense, but your story takes Ford escape off my list.

Meh, a laptop with ForScan (free from What's new) and a $30 OBD-II adapter that will talk to your laptop (Amazon.com: forscan) will take care of that and let you program new keys as long as you have at least 1 good key (my 2008 Taurus X came with 1 key and now has 4).

Aaron Z

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #42  
Meh, a laptop with ForScan (free from What's new) and a $30 OBD-II adapter that will talk to your laptop (Amazon.com: forscan) will take care of that and let you program new keys as long as you have at least 1 good key (my 2008 Taurus X came with 1 key and now has 4).

Aaron Z

Got anything like that for Chevy?

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #43  
Got anything like that for Chevy?
Sadly, not anywhere near that cheap. I have looked (to find something for the wife's Yukon), but haven't found anything (another reason why Ford>Chevy :stirthepot: )

Aaron Z

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #45  
A locksmith once told me to cut the key in half (so that nobody can use it) and duct tape the chip to the steering column. He says that will allow you to use a $3.00 steel key. I just have a hard time cutting a $60 key, and on the newer GM's you would need to be really good with a dremel tool to duplicate a key.

My Toyota MR2 came only with the Valet key.
The bummer is that their are glove boxes and compartments that need the 'owner' or master key to access.
I tried the idea of taping or placing the CHIPPED key nearby but it would not communicate other than right in the key slot.
A dealer suggested I could get a transponder to do the job.
I was able to get the code for the glove box etc but it means I have to carry 2 keys.

My understanding is that often used cars are consigned to retailers and the wholesaler retains the master to make repos easy.
Also I believe I should be able to get a remote to unlock my doors but that is another thing altogether. (found a link for that)

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #46  
I knew these "coded keys" for newer cars were expensive - but Lordy - those prices are ridiculous. Thank goodness I still have two key for each of my vehicles. I'll be sure to store the second keys in a really safe place.

My new motorcycle - 2018 BMW R1200GSA - has a keyless system with a transmitter. No buttons to push - no keys to use - the transmitter has to be within about ten feet and stay within that distance while the M/C is in use. I've heard ***** stories about the cost of a new transmitter and getting it and the bike linked up. And with the BMW - you DO NOT get a second transmitter with the new bike.

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #47  
Ya'll realize we as consumers did this right??

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #48  
How about we just execute car thieves! Problem solved.
It worked for horses!

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #49  
Ya'll realize we as consumers did this right??

Yes, I think we did it to ourselves by purchasing their overpriced crap in the first place. The Consumer has lost his/her voice and either buy what is offered, or not. Other than my new tractor, my newest vehicle is a 2002 and WAALAA, no "chipped" keys. I don't want or need a car or truck that must be tethered to a dealer to be kept running.

/ Vehicle keys - making duplicates #50  
How about we just execute car thieves! Problem solved.
It worked for horses!

Remember the old chevys that didn't even need a key? Those were the days!