Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501?

/ Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501? #1  

jmt1271

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
About to purchase a tractor for our 10 acres. Prefer kubota or Deere.

Primary use will be managing 2 long gravel drives, FEL work clearing a few wooded acres, (will be adding grapple) and maintenance and over seeding 3 acres pasture and 5 acres yard.

Really closeon a deal for a new L2501 as I don't know of any options heavier or with higher loader specs that will stay under the threshold for dpf.

Am I missing any?

/ Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501? #2  
Consider also requiring an engine of <25-horsepower engine with 100 cubic inch displacement. This large displacement engine, with torque coming on at low RPM, is one factor that has made the L2501 so successful.

I had an L2501 predecessor model, a Kubota B3300 SU. Weight was about the same as L2501. B3300 SU engine is four cylinders/ 91.4 cubic inches / 33-horsepower gross @ 2,700 RPM. In limited play time with an L2501 at my Kubota dealer, I found the L2501 at least as capable. I prefer simpler three cylinder L2501 engine over four cylinder B3300 SU engine.

Last edited:
   / Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501? #3  
I think you found the right tool already(if you are trying to stay under 26 H.P.).My son has a similar sized tractor but straight gear and it's a real work horse.Go with the HST and ballast.
Only other option is an older(pre-DEF) used;they are out there if you look and are not in a hurry.

/ Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501?
Consider also requiring an engine of <25-horsepower engine with 100 cubic inch displacement. This large displacement engine, with torque coming on at low RPM, is one factor that has made the L2501 so successful.

I had an L2501 predecessor model, a Kubota B3300 SU. Weight was about the same as L2501. B3300 SU engine is four cylinders/ 91.4 cubic inches / 33-horsepower gross @ 2,700 RPM. In limited play time with an L2501 at my Kubota dealer, I found the L2501 at least as capable.

Yes sir. Fully agree. That fact was one of the things that I liked when I started researching in January.

I think you found the right tool already(if you are trying to stay under 26 H.P.).My son has a similar sized tractor but straight gear and it's a real work horse.Go with the HST and ballast.
Only other option is an older(pre-DEF) used;they are out there if you look and are not in a hurry.

Yes. Getting filled R4 tires and hst. Also Land Pride 3rd function and at least one RR. But I deleted the Land Pride grapple. Going with the wicked root grapple.

/ Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501? #6  

Primary use will be managing 2 long gravel drives, FEL work clearing a few wooded acres, (will be adding grapple) and maintenance and over seeding 3 acres pasture and 5 acres yard.

Really closeon a deal for a new L2501 as I don't know of any options heavier or with higher loader specs that will stay under the threshold for dpf.

Am I missing any?
Go with the L2501 in 4wd and HST.

I have one. It is great.

You won't be disappointed

/ Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501? #7  

Am I missing any?

As long as it's a preference and not a "must be" I have a couple suggestions.

We had never heard of a lot of the brands on the market today when we were shopping in 2014. I learned names we didn't know like Kioti, Branson, Mahindra, TYM, and LS along with the regulars like Massy, New Holland, Kubota, and Deer.

From my personal shopping experience I would strongly suggest looking at Kioti & LS if for no other reason than to have something to compare to. I think Mahindra & Branson have decent offerings but for your requirements I would just rank them lower on the list.

Kioti CK2610 - Heavier, stronger loader than Kubota (Admittedly biased)
LS XG3025H - Only slightly lighter, Still a stronger loader (No dealers close enough when we bought or this would have been a stronger contender for us)
Mahindra retooled and went Tier IV compliant without a DPF so there are a couple models you could look at there MAX 26XL or the 1526 HST
Branson I can't find anything that confirms DPF/DEF or not. the 2400H is a little light to really be in this list and the 3015H is the next step up so it's a little over HP

Right now it only cost you a little time and a phone call to see if the Price & Dealer are worth more thorough investigation.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

As long as it's a preference and not a "must be" I have a couple suggestions.

We had never heard of a lot of the brands on the market today when we were shopping in 2014. I learned names we didn't know like Kioti, Branson, Mahindra, TYM, and LS along with the regulars like Massy, New Holland, Kubota, and Deer.

From my personal shopping experience I would strongly suggest looking at Kioti & LS if for no other reason than to have something to compare to. I think Mahindra & Branson have decent offerings but for your requirements I would just rank them lower on the list.

Kioti CK2610 - Heavier, stronger loader than Kubota (Admittedly biased)
LS XG3025H - Only slightly lighter, Still a stronger loader (No dealers close enough when we bought or this would have been a stronger contender for us)
Mahindra retooled and went Tier IV compliant without a DPF so there are a couple models you could look at there MAX 26XL or the 1526 HST
Branson I can't find anything that confirms DPF/DEF or not. the 2400H is a little light to really be in this list and the 3015H is the next step up so it's a little over HP

Right now it only cost you a little time and a phone call to see if the Price & Dealer are worth more thorough investigation.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

All good advice and appreciated.

Primary reason for being partialto JD and Kubota is my personal history of good reliability from both.

Other reason is that they're the only two dealers near me.

/ Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501? #9  
If you liked the Deere products in the past then you most likely had a Yanmar. They have models that bookend the L2501 with the 35 horsepower model being a similar size with higher capacities and the 25 horsepower model being smaller and slightly lower capacities. I did extensive test driving and research on all the brands near me and where I plan to move and was surprised how good most brands are in the 25hp category. They all have very good engines, buy their hydros from the same suppliers etc.. What sold me on the Yanmar 424 was first the operator's station (ergonomics), second the dealers, and third value (price). The strength of Kubota besides quality is the massive dealer support and implement availability. The front end quick attach system for Yanmar is proprietary and since they are relatively new in the market place options for front end attachments are limited and kind of expensive. In all my research I have never met anyone that has regretted buying a Kubota. I haven't seen any data on this but Kubota brand loyalty is off the charts and any marketing person will tell you that kind of brand loyalty can only be achieved thru exceeding expectations. The L2501 seems to have good availability used at excellent prices for example: KUBOTA L251 For Sale In Southington, Ohio | TractorHouse.com Good luck but I don't think you can go wrong.

/ Anything heavier/ stronger for the money than L2501? #10  
The new Yanmars YT series have SSQA front ends. Not sure about the SA324/424.