Mowing linked pedal question

/ linked pedal question #11  
**Update** NX50 hst cab

[snip]

THe other odd thing I noticed is when I would back up (with pto running) to cut around something, when I pushed the forward pedal again nothing happened. SO, I pressed the rear pedal again, then the front and it would move forward then. I got into a bind where I couldn't back up any further by a tree, and the only way I could get it to go forward again was to depress the brake pedal for about a second or two then it would go forward. Is this a new feature on the HSTs? IF so I really hate it. My last tractor was super sensitive, back forward, it would just go. I became very accustomed to this movement and I don't like the way this one is working. Maybe it needs an adjustment.

Any ideas or tips? I have no way to know if this is normal or not for these NX's.

I don't know if this might be what happened, but I'll mention it. With the Kioti side-by-side HST pedals, if you happen to accidentally press on the forward and reverse pedals at the same time, even lightly, it will cause the HST to go into safe mode momentarily, and the Calibration light will come on. You have to wait for maybe three seconds before either pedal will make the tractor move again. In the meantime, if you press either pedal without waiting, safe mode will not clear. You must keep your foot off the pedals for the full three seconds. If you're not aware of this, it's easy to cause an endless cycle, as the tendency is to keep trying to nudge the tractor either forward or backward while fiddling with the range selector lever! Again, I don't know if this might have contributed to what you describe, but next time you are on the tractor, try experimenting with it.

/ linked pedal question #12  
PA hayseed, I have the same tractor just no cab. One of the things that has happened to me is if I am trying to get a close cut on uneven ground sometimes the sides of the brush hog will drag on the ground which will give that feeling of surging once it stops digging into the high place in the ground. Not saying that's your issue but did want to point out that it can happen.

Cheers,
Bob

/ linked pedal question #13  
Are you seeing the "CAL" (green light) illuminating on the dash? (sorry if this was already covered- I'm doing a quick on-the-fly reply)

/ linked pedal question
With the Kioti side-by-side HST pedals, if you happen to accidentally press on the forward and reverse pedals at the same time, even lightly, it will cause the HST to go into safe mode momentarily, and the Calibration light will come on. You have to wait for maybe three seconds before either pedal will make the tractor move again. In the meantime, if you press either pedal without waiting, safe mode will not clear.

This may explain it, some new fangled safety feature that isn't needed. Guess I'll have to talk to my dealer about getting rid of this but keeping my warranty. My last Kioti HST tractor didn't have it, and I am not dead or missing limbs, and that thing was sensitive. bump the forward or back pedal and away it went. This thing is going to be slower. How the heck do they expect someone who may be in snow or mud with boots on to operate an HST tractor?

I'm going to call him now. I'll see what he says.

/ linked pedal question
Called them, they are calling the factory and will get back to me. I will update once I have the info. Thanks.

/ linked pedal question #16  
This may explain it, some new fangled safety feature that isn't needed. Guess I'll have to talk to my dealer about getting rid of this but keeping my warranty. My last Kioti HST tractor didn't have it, and I am not dead or missing limbs, and that thing was sensitive. bump the forward or back pedal and away it went. This thing is going to be slower. How the heck do they expect someone who may be in snow or mud with boots on to operate an HST tractor?

I'm going to call him now. I'll see what he says.

I think the momentary "safe mode" feature is to protect the tractor, not us. :)

Some of the functions that were controlled mechanically on older tractors are now "fly by wire" on the more heavily computer-controlled machines. So, for example, when you switch between the forward and reverse pedals, there will be a slight delay in response. It's quite slight but noticeable if you're used to a mechanical linkage, as I was, especially doing quick loader work. On your NX, there is a knob on the panel to the right of your seat to adjust the speed of HST pedal response. But even dialed to the fastest setting, there will be a slight delay.

As for disabling the "safe mode" delay when you hit both forward and reverse simultaneously, I'm certain that's not an option. You're right, with heavy boots in the winter, it's easier to misjudge and hit both pedals at once when you're hurrying or tired. But since I became aware of that 2-1/2 yrs ago, it hasn't happened to me again.

/ linked pedal question #17  
Drive-by-wire is never going to be as responsive as mechanically controlled machines. My B7800 is rabbit quick compared to my NX. But, given the larger size of the NX I've come to appreciate it being a bit slower to launch- it's really easy to stomp on the WRONG pedal and if it were quicker to respond (though it's really not that slow, if working correctly) one might really end up causing some damage.

/ linked pedal question #18  
Drive-by-wire is never going to be as responsive as mechanically controlled machines. My B7800 is rabbit quick compared to my NX. But, given the larger size of the NX I've come to appreciate it being a bit slower to launch- it's really easy to stomp on the WRONG pedal and if it were quicker to respond (though it's really not that slow, if working correctly) one might really end up causing some damage.

DieselBound, Hah! My oldest loader tractor is a 25 y/o B2150HST, so I know exactly what you mean by rabbit quick with your B7800! But I too appreciate the trade off of speed for the benefits of my NX and my CK. I've also come to prefer a side-by-side HST pedal setup to the treadle pedal on my two Kubotas. That's just a matter of personal preference, but for me just being able to pivot my foot on its heel takes much less leg movement. If I'm doing 3 or 4 hrs of loader work or mowing, my right leg will sometimes get so tired with the treadle that I'll actually use my hand to help lift my knee. :laughing:

/ linked pedal question #19  
I have an issue with mine which could be what you are describing. Dealer contacted Kioti, they said it's a known issue, shouldn't have left factory that way, and a simple transmission computer update is the fix. Here's what mine does...and bear with me as it's difficult to describe.

I noticed the tractor "surging" while moving at times. Acts like a automatic transmission that can't seem to find a gear...imagine you're driving down the highway in your car with cruise control set at 55mph and the transmission keeps going between 4th & 5th gear. Kind of that feel and best as I can describe it. Doesn't happen often and I can go for long periods and never have it happen. Where I DO notice it is transport and bush hogging. Anytime I have the HST pedal nearly wide open, but not quite all the way. In fact at first I thought it was me doing it - hitting bumps or whatever and my foot just releasing or mashing the pedal a bit. But not me or operator error...transmission issue. Never happens wide open (meaning HST pedal pressed all the way down) or creeping (HST pedal pressed less than 1/3 down). Will notice it most often with HST pedal pressed ALMOST all the way down....say you're trying to hold it around 90% of all the way down.... will get a jerky shudder....that feels like an auto tranny car trying to find a gear.

Like I said, really only notice bush hogging since there are areas I want to slow down a bit due to rough ground or thick/tall grass.

Could that be what you're experiencing?

/ linked pedal question
I have an issue with mine which could be what you are describing. Dealer contacted Kioti, they said it's a known issue, shouldn't have left factory that way, and a simple transmission computer update is the fix. Here's what mine does...and bear with me as it's difficult to describe.

I noticed the tractor "surging" while moving at times. Acts like a automatic transmission that can't seem to find a gear...imagine you're driving down the highway in your car with cruise control set at 55mph and the transmission keeps going between 4th & 5th gear. Kind of that feel and best as I can describe it. Doesn't happen often and I can go for long periods and never have it happen. Where I DO notice it is transport and bush hogging. Anytime I have the HST pedal nearly wide open, but not quite all the way. In fact at first I thought it was me doing it - hitting bumps or whatever and my foot just releasing or mashing the pedal a bit. But not me or operator error...transmission issue. Never happens wide open (meaning HST pedal pressed all the way down) or creeping (HST pedal pressed less than 1/3 down). Will notice it most often with HST pedal pressed ALMOST all the way down....say you're trying to hold it around 90% of all the way down.... will get a jerky shudder....that feels like an auto tranny car trying to find a gear.

Like I said, really only notice bush hogging since there are areas I want to slow down a bit due to rough ground or thick/tall grass.

Could that be what you're experiencing?

Sounds exactly like what is happening with the surging. I'll call the dealer again tomorrow about that one. Thank you.

Last edited: