LED Garage Lights

/ LED Garage Lights #191  
I needed to replace a few 48" fluorescent tubes, or get new LED shop lights, and I thought of this thread. After doing some math, I bought fluorescent "premium" tubes, 4100k, 3000 lumens, for approximately $3 per bulb. Here are some of my thoughts:
- For $6 per fixture, I am getting 6000 lumens.
- LED fixtures from Costco would cost $24 per fixture and only provide 3700 lumens.
- Fluorescents provide me with 75 lumens per watt vs LEDs 88 Lumens per watt.
- LEDs provide a 'cost to use' savings of 15% but cost 300% more to purchase as replacements.

So I could have spent 4 times as much to get LED fixtures that provide only 61% of the light output. I think much of the perceived light improvement people are seeing is due to how most of us have bought the cheapest replacement fluorescent tubes in the past. I looked at those this time too, since they were much less expensive. But they also provide only 1800 - 2200 Lumens. After a couple years of use they lose efficiency and provide even less light, so when buying new LEDs and comparing to the old low output fluorescent tubes, LEDs ARE much brighter. For a dollar or so more per bulb, you can get 3000 lumens and they are much brighter than the LEDs.
I did buy 1 LED fixture a few months ago to try it in the barn over my bench. I knew then it was much brighter than some of my older "energy efficient" (aka low lumens) shop lights. But I also noticed it was no brighter than a newer T8 fixture I had out there. That's what encouraged me to me look into the lumen side of things more, review this thread, and do the math.

/ LED Garage Lights #192  
Electricity costs vary... here I am always over 30 cents a kWh...

Also, if the LED really last 50,000 hours and always start in cold weather it needs to be factored too.

At work I change T8 bulbs almost daily and in a good week maybe 2 ballasts...

I'm not ready to change out an entire Hospital to LED and so far have not changed one...

At home and at a rental is the extent of my experiment...

The rental has very high can lights that are always a problem... even been charged a property management service call to change a light bulb and this is when I bought and left a pole for tenants to use...

So far I love Slim Style Philips 65W equivalent and hope they do last 25,000 hours and they are dimmable.

The LED replacement 4' fixtures have transformed the garage... the old 8' long 1977 fluorescents looked like Dr Frankenstein Laboratory in sound and light quality went first turned on.

/ LED Garage Lights #193  
I have 30 2x4ft fixtures in the shop and 7 in the garage. Very tired of the fluorescents. Always some dim or flickering or out. Groaning and slow to get bright in colder weather. Dim after several years no matter what. I didn't do the kilowatt/lumen/cost analysis but PG&E on the north coast is mafia-level expensive. It could be that even so the $23 Costco fixtures would not pencil out. But I am so pleased with quiet instant no-flicker and bright light. That is hard to quantify but definitely worth having. It will be a while before real world lifecycle costs are known. But I am very glad I made the change.

/ LED Garage Lights #194  
yup, leds all the way for me. I have an unheated barn and I hated having to wait forever to get much light at all in cold weather. Now it's instant on, even in sub zero F temps, and I have more light with fewer tubes than I did with florescents. I got tired of the f's burning out. I'm buying more real soon to put in the other half of my building and the addition I'll be building in the Fall.

/ LED Garage Lights #195  
I'm buying 14 more drop in 4' LED and 2 more fixtures...

Check my regular lighting suppliers and no come close to the Costco deal... and I have a National Lighting Account through GE

/ LED Garage Lights #196  
A month ago, I attempt to replace the garage lights with LED because the brightness falls to 30% of metal halide lamps.

garage ceiling lamps.jpg

I am still testing the performance of this ceiling lamps for garage. I am expecting decrease in electricity cost and brightness increase. this product is also appearing at amazon, but I directly buy from manufacturer and thus the cost is lower. the installation is quite easy. since the weight of the luminary is not very heavy, i can DIY the installation.

The garage flood lamp is quite impressive. But my tractor garage has a very high ceiling of 10 meters. Perhaps a need a high power led lights.

/ LED Garage Lights #198  
I installed a motion sensing wall switch and a single incandescent bulb on the ceiling above the door from the garage into the house. This switch/fixture is independent from the original garage overhead lights and the switch was positioned so it can 'see' people entering the garage from the house, or entering the garage from the exterior man-door. These motion sensing switches are incredibly convenient, especially when your hands are full. They can also work well in hallways, pantries, and large closets, as long as the switch is well positioned and can detect the motion. I have 4 of them in various locations around the house.

I also replaced the single bulb ceiling lights Best LED Garage Lighting (Sept. 218) - STUNNING Reviews + Samples in my garage with hanging tube fluorescent fixtures. In my case, I had one over each car stall. I did this about 15 years ago and I'm still on my first set of bulbs. In the winter, the florescents flicker a bit at first, but after a 20-30 seconds they seem totally normal. The garage temp rarely goes below freezing in the winter and probably averages 40-45 degrees.

Last edited:
   / LED Garage Lights #199  
I started a week ago changing my garage to Rural King sourced $29 each LED 4' long 5,500 lumen fixtures. The change is amazing over the old porcelain fixtures that I used 200W compact fluorescent bulbs in, and the light is instant on and a very bright white instead of the dull yellow. I have 5 running down the center of the 26' wide by 38' deep shop/garage so far. I plan to buy more this fall and run 3 or 4 down each outer wall.

When we built this shop we had the lights places down the side of the ceiling and down the center, rather than the old school way of putting lights centered in the bay. This was done because my original house garages had that traditional light placement and no matter what you did on a car/truck you were always in the shadow. Moving the bulbs to the outsides and the center of the 2 bays means that I rarely ever need a drop light now. And with these new super bright/white lights it will only be better.

/ LED Garage Lights #200  
The Feit LED 4ft fixtures are now a little different. They come with diffuser covers. I kind of like the older exposed bulbs better. Glad I stock piled a few to add to the garage/shop when I ever get to expanding it.