Building a road on a mountain slope

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #11  
A mini track hoe would be faster than that small dozer in steep terrain. If you build a road suitable for vehicles then rent a large hoe. Pull/dig from the up slope and put it down hill in front of you. One track will be on the fresh cut the other on the spoil you just put down. keep the machine level at all times. A track hoe can get it surprisingly level and smooth that a tractor and a blade could finish.
If you have never been on a hoe then find an operator.
As far as erosion you will need to be considering that during construction and have the road/trail laid out, this will help seeing how many if any culverts you might need.
This really isn't rocket science. Just imagine what the water will do when looking at the constructed road. Water bars, sediment traps, culverts all could be used and some other techniques will keep the road stabilized for a long time.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #13  

D6 has anywhere from 150 to 180 HP and weighs around 40,000 pounds. That is some really nice soil in that video. It sure looks like a great choice for what they are doing, and where they are doing it. But if it was my land, I would want to remove a lot more material on the inside part of that hill and not rely on having a guy with a pry bar to do it.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #14  
Regarding erosion: Should a crosscut road pitch to a ditch (I'm a poet don't you know it!) on the uphill side or the downhill?

Seems like a lot of roads that have switchbacks also need a lot of culverts (depending)..

If OP uses a dozer, wouldn't it need a 6 way blade (i.e. a tilt function)?

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #15  
Can a gravel road be built to run 1350 ft starting at 200ft altitude -elevation and ending at 700ft up? What about a walking path? This is approximately a 37% slope.. the tract is about 300ft wide.. The ground is forest land Washington State (just North or Oregon).

If it was doable, what would be the cost if you were building either the road or a. walking path?

thanks photo isnt exact location but its the same type of. terrain--no trees in the way
If you want it done properly, hire a contractor that can survey the area and draw it on auto cad. Pricey? Yes however the functionality will be optimized and long term maintenance reduced.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #16  
A good book with a lot of information is: "Effective Maintenance For Ranch, Fire, and Utility Access Roads" by Keith Guenther. I've learned a lot about road construction and maintenance from this book.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #17  
Agree with this ^^^^^

For the record, Oregon is south of Washington. Washington is not north of Oregon. :D

In Washington we do not take a backseat to a State that names college football teams Ducks and Beavers. :D

Joking of course, I like Oregon. :thumbsup:

Says the guy with Duck in his name!

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #18  
I was thinking that even before I read your post and watched the video.

I don't think a person could bucket that soil away with an excavator as fast as the dozer was moving it. Now, of course, if you want more soil removed from the upper side of the road an excavator would be ideal. Everything depends upon if a person wants a passage way or a super highway.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #19  
Pure dirt, no rocks.... Then the doser may work.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #20  
A lot depends on the width. In our woods I used a mini ex to build all the trails. Mainly because I have one and I wanted wide trails for a big SxS to fit down. The mini with the built in blade did a great job and made a nice smooth trial. Also super handy if you have trees in the way (we have a LOT)

The small Sutter I mentioned is stickily for walking trails - I think it has a 24" blade so not exactly a D9. LOL A few of the other trail building machine companies offer similar small machine with a blade on the front and a backhoe on the rear. I feel that would be great for walking/single track trails. Use see them being used in mountain biking "parks" a lot.