Building a road on a mountain slope

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #21  
Says the guy with Duck in his name!

The Evergreen State university in Olympia has the Geoduck as its mascot. For those not familiar with it a Geoduck is a large clam that inhabits Puget Sound .:D
Also for the record Evergreen is not known for its athletic programs.:laughing:

/ Building a road on a mountain slope
What might be the cost of putting a road in? 1300 ft long -much longer of course when you have to zig-zag and 400 ft up.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #23  
Hey - geoducks are GREAT diggers. Just try catching one with your special shovel. They are down a yard before your shovel is buried half way.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #24  
There are some things to consider when building a trail/road in mountainous terrain. If you are not - spot on - in your construction methods and techniques. What you are then actually doing - constructing a project that will require maintenance after EVERY rain storm OR even worse - a project that will lead to a substantial land subsidence.

I would give this project some serious thought before any attempts. My concern - creating a situation that could cause serious damage to lower lying lands.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #25  
Hey - geoducks are GREAT diggers. Just try catching one with your special shovel. They are down a yard before your shovel is buried half way.

Actually they live a yard down into the mud. I have planted a bunch of them where I can get them at low tide but either the current is too much for them or the diving ducks seem to get them. I had some grow real well for a year, then they were gone. They grow real well out in deep water to the point the natives harvest them to sell mostly overseas. Not something I am in favor of.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #26  
Hey Ocean... I live up in Woodland, not sure where you are thinking of calling home, that property oddly looks like something I saw being developed off the 5 (then again, all properties look like this so....)

A few things to consider. Our land here is all clay. it makes for an entirely different set of rules. Second, you can find a number of guys around who build logging roads. These are guys who are quick, efficient and the price is generally better than a contractor. None of it is cheap... Figure 1000 a day for a track hoe and operator, and then $350 a load for gravel... You will want to put down some big stuff (rocks) in the clay before you lay down your 3/4 minus.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope
This is West - Cathlamet area. It doesn't seem claylike. Mostly Doug Firs. Good idea to find those who build logging roads. Thanks

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #28  
I made some trails on my property, very similar in grade and terrain. I used my excavator. I made full cuts, for stability, and made sure drainage was handled.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #29  
I have a pretty steep driveway and gave up on gravel. Shale packs better and doesn't spin out. Was available locally (heck, including my property), and cheaper than gravel. Win-Win.

/ Building a road on a mountain slope #30  
Washington state forest land? regardless if you own, rent or lease, contact forestry and then be prepared for lots of red tape. If you don't odds are something will go wrong and you could end up in court.