Purchasing the proper chain sharpener

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #31  
Thanks for posting the link. Lots of great reviews. At around the 37 dollar price tag, certainly would be worth a try.

You are welcome. It’s a nice product and I think most people would be surprised how well they work.

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #32  
I have the Harbor Freight unit that runs about $35 or so. Three chain saws, 10 chains. I sharpen mostly with a hand file used with no guide. I tune them up on the electric one when needed.

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #33  
   / Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #34  
I guess I was lucky to learn how to sharpen a chain with a file years ago before it became so complicated. :laughing:

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener
I guess I was lucky to learn how to sharpen a chain with a file years ago before it became so complicated. :laughing:

And I have a few neighbors who swear they are a pro with just a file and their saw is a dog to use. Once after about 3 minutes I handed him his saw back :laughing: I don't use a saw enough to bother with trial and error when I'm trying to complete a task.

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #36  
And I have a few neighbors who swear they are a pro with just a file and their saw is a dog to use. Once after about 3 minutes I handed him his saw back :laughing: I don't use a saw enough to bother with trial and error when I'm trying to complete a task.

Exactly. Most hand filers are lucky to get 50 percent as good as new. Only a select few can do a good job. I’m not in that category and I’d bet the few hating on other methods aren’t either. All the ones that can are professionals. I’ve never seen a weekend warrior that can do a good job hand filling a saw. It’s just not something you can do a couple times a year and be good at IMO.

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #37  
Has anyone other than me had extreme dufficulty filing a low kickback chain so it would cut?

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #38  
Has anyone other than me had extreme dufficulty filing a low kickback chain so it would cut?
Low kickback chains are easy to file. I take them off the saw and file them in a drawer. :) And generally buy new chains from Bailey's.

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #39  
Low kickback chains are easy to file. I take them off the saw and file them in a drawer. :) And generally buy new chains from Bailey's.

Do you use the "round file", or the "square file"......LOL :stirthepot:

/ Purchasing the proper chain sharpener #40  

They sharpen the same as any other round filed chain for me. I hand file or a bench grinder. The anti kickback tabs may interfere with some chain guides. The Granberg type rail guides would be even more of a pain with low kickback.

I was using low kickback chains for a while because when you ask for a new chain at my local Stihl dealer that's what they give you. When I was being paid to run a saw low kickback didn't exist. I don't think the shop mentioned it to me and I didn't know to ask. When I did figure it out I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't like saws with anti vibe back in the day and I've come around to liking them. I've moved to regular (high kickback?) chain for wood cutting and tree felling. The low kickback stuff works ok. It'll even bore cut, though not as fast. But for regular 3/8 that I use on the larger saws I use Bailey's house brand which does not come in low kickback. I like low kickback for cutting brush as it's less grabby.