First snow managed

/ First snow managed #1  

atitus74

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1880
Well this is my first snow fall with my Kubota BX1880 and I'm pretty pleased. We got 6+inches of medium-weight snow and I was able to clear 1200 feet of driveway in about an hour. I took it a little slow being the first time but no shear pins sacrificed yet. I have to say that this is the first time in 35+ hours on this tractor that I felt I could have benefitted from the 26 HP or 23 HP engine instead of the 18 but not sure even now I would have parted with the extra cash. I wish I could have made a video but it was still snowing when I was out there and my phone isn't one of those fancy waterproof ones. Oh well I'll get one next time. Hope everybody in this north eastern storm is warm safe and dry take care.

/ First snow managed #2  
Nice write up! Hopefully you will be pleased with your tractor for a long time.

/ First snow managed #3  
atitus - you cleared the entire 1200 feet without blowing a shear pin. That means you did an initial FOD (foreign object detection) inspection and that also was a success. Usually - if I was going to blow a shear pin, it was always on the initial run down the driveway. Thereafter - clear sailing.

/ First snow managed #4  
Well we got our first plowable snow last night, 4 or 5 inches so far forecasting 1 to 3 more this morning.
Went out and shoveled and brushed snow of my wifes car, so she can go to work, started the tractor to warm it up.
Time for another cup of coffee, then go shut it down for a few hours till I start plowing.

/ First snow managed #5  
Spent an hour snow blowing driveways (partially), shoveling porches and walks and sweeping off cars this morning just to get out of driveway. More will be required tonight.
....but first I had to spend 1/2 an hour putting on the tire chains and weights, lubricate
....but first I had to spend 1-1/2 hours last night putting on the snowblower subframe, handles, attaching the snowblower and getting the belts to turn in the right direction....
....but first I had to spend 1 hour rearranging the garage so I could even get to the snowblower!!

So yeah, 4 hours invested just for 2" of snow :banghead:

/ First snow managed #6  
It seems the more hyped the storm, the bigger the bust it is here in northern N.H. Portland tv meteorologist's map was showing 5-8" for here, we got maybe 2.
On the contrary, Tuesday's storm, which was supposed to be mostly sleet and rain dumped 10+" of heart attack cement on us. My driveway isn't so long that the loader doesn't work just fine, but it was such joy laying in that putting on the chains. Didn't think I'd need 'em for another couple weeks. R4's are pretty useless in snow.

I have to say that this is the first time in 35+ hours on this tractor that I felt I could have benefitted from the 26 HP or 23 HP engine instead of the 18 but not sure even now I would have parted with the extra cash.

I dunno. Before I got the Kioti I had a JD750, which I think was 18hp, and I didn't notice a big difference between the two when it came to clearing snow other than the bucket is 1' wider on the Kioti (and has a float function).

/ First snow managed #7  
atitus - you cleared the entire 1200 feet without blowing a shear pin. That means you did an initial FOD (foreign object detection) inspection and that also was a success. Usually - if I was going to blow a shear pin, it was always on the initial run down the driveway. Thereafter - clear sailing.

Well this is my first snow fall with my Kubota BX1880 and I'm pretty pleased. We got 6+inches of medium-weight snow and I was able to clear 1200 feet of driveway in about an hour. I took it a little slow being the first time but no shear pins sacrificed yet. I have to say that this is the first time in 35+ hours on this tractor that I felt I could have benefitted from the 26 HP or 23 HP engine instead of the 18 but not sure even now I would have parted with the extra cash. I wish I could have made a video but it was still snowing when I was out there and my phone isn't one of those fancy waterproof ones. Oh well I'll get one next time. Hope everybody in this north eastern storm is warm safe and dry take care.

======================================================================

Hello aititus,

You managed to kill off the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER and feed the moat monsters with the remains of the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER without breaking a shear pin.
You did the FOD disposal work without finding any wood bombs that the squirrels would have left, good for you.

Since your new at this; when you make your first pass make it on the side of the driveway where the plow passes your home and dumps the snow AWAY from the driveway.

Doing it in this manner lets you clear off the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER to feed the moat monsters with its remains and also flush the salt laden crap out at the first pass where you clear off the salt laden crap completely by just concentrating on the end of the driveway first and and then when you do your next passes you are flushing the all salt laden crap out of the snow blower and end up with nearly no salt laden crap in the snow blower as each succeeding pass just pushes clean snow through the snow blower.

If you have access to hot and cold water you will be money ahead washing the snow and ice off the tractor and snow blower.

OH and buy a spray can or two of Fluid Film to spray everything that contacts snow as it will slick up the chute, spout, impeller etc. and you can blow the crap across the road or down the block as long as you do not drive too fast. Keep the fluid film warm in the house and it will mix faster and coat better.

If you have a warm storage area you can spray the spout and chute with several coats of Fluid Film and let it dry between coats.

Short of that turtle wax in several coats can also work well but it will not be as slick as ski wax or fluid film.

Be happy the moat monsters down the road just got a free meal that did not involve a car wandering into the ditch.

What made you decide to purchase a front mount instead of rear mount that would have been less expensive and required less power?

Last edited:
   / First snow managed #8  
It seems the more hyped the storm, the bigger the bust it is here in northern N.H. Portland tv meteorologist's map was showing 5-8" for here, we got maybe 2.
On the contrary, Tuesday's storm, which was supposed to be mostly sleet and rain dumped 10+" of heart attack cement on us. My driveway isn't so long that the loader doesn't work just fine, but it was such joy laying in that putting on the chains. Didn't think I'd need 'em for another couple weeks. R4's are pretty useless in snow.
I dunno. Before I got the Kioti I had a JD750, which I think was 18hp, and I didn't notice a big difference between the two when it came to clearing snow other than the bucket is 1' wider on the Kioti (and has a float function).

======================================================================

I have an LA115 with 216 hours that has a junk RAD snow blower that eats parts and I also found out from a friend at another JD dealer that there was a service bulletin stating the bloody things were shipped short of parts from Canada.

/ First snow managed #9  
As has been the case in recent times, our weather forecaster blew it. Until it was actually happening, the forecast was for some snow, then sleet and freezing rain, then warming and rain with little accumulation.

Both my tractors still had the mowers attached. First order of business late yesterday afternoon was to get the Kubota ready for something other than mowing. Of course it was already dark before starting on that. There was no reason to put the blower on because of the heavy wet snow that was falling. The rear blade was the weapon of choice. I had an awful time swapping things around. We did get some rain as I was wrapping up for the evening. Thank goodness the wiper worked. It's just jammed on the arm after I broke a clip when I knocked it off with a rag a few weeks ago while doing a quick windshield wipe. Figured there was plenty of time to fix it before we got any snow.

In a strange twist of fate, my BIL texted me earlier in the day and asked if I could help out at their place because his Kubota is in the shop - having a snow blower installed! He wanted the dealer to do the intial install because of the chute controls.

/ First snow managed #10  
Its warming up around here so I will wait on doing anything as its supposed to rain and................................
I have the chains in the truck and my collapsable snow shovel I just have to buy a new small tarp.