Man-powered boulder loading

/ Man-powered boulder loading #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Alaska Railroad construction. I'm surprised they weren't using a steam shovel.

movingBoulders-ARR.jpg

Bruce

/ Man-powered boulder loading #2  
Fascinating.
It's always amazed me in our history how hard people worked especially for a dollar.
Antique furniture for example that couldn't be reproduced today economically and/or by hand.

/ Man-powered boulder loading #4  
I toured a Deere plant in Waterloo, Iowa this summer.

Before the 90 minute tour, there was a film, which included some footage of a Deere assembly line in the early 1950's.

Man, the workers had to hustle to keep up, as assemblies moved down the line.

At the plant I toured this summer, the $1,000,000 tractors moved between assembly stations on robot sleds, after the workers keyed in their stage of work was complete. Assembly looked leisurely, in contrast to the film, but of course experienced professionals often make complex tasks look easy.

/ Man-powered boulder loading #6  
Somebody really wanted that RR right there. The rocks are peanuts compared to the amount of dirt that will need to be moved.. And, no steam shovel. Will they be moving the dirt with drag shovels and horses, also.

/ Man-powered boulder loading #7  
Alaska Railroad construction. I'm surprised they weren't using a steam shovel.

View attachment 585988

Bruce

Thanks for the Picture. :thumbsup: I have always been interested in those type pictures from the past. It is amazing what people had to do back then to produce things we take for granted now.

/ Man-powered boulder loading #8  
My house was built circa 1850, it has a full basement with a fieldstone foundation. Some of the stones in it are twice the size of the ones in that picture. The largest is about six feet long*. Every time I'm down there I wonder how they got them there. I do know that the floor of the basement is at the original grade level, they built the wall and then filled around it to put the house up on a hill.

(*Around here we call a stone of that size "medium-sized." A "large" stone is one that is visible from space.)

/ Man-powered boulder loading
Somebody really wanted that RR right there. The rocks are peanuts compared to the amount of dirt that will need to be moved.. And, no steam shovel. Will they be moving the dirt with drag shovels and horses, also.

Looks like they may have used shovels. Here is a different cut with dirt and sand.

movingdirt.jpg

Bruce

/ Man-powered boulder loading #10  
My house was built circa 1850, it has a full basement with a fieldstone foundation. Some of the stones in it are twice the size of the ones in that picture. The largest is about six feet long*. Every time I'm down there I wonder how they got them there. I do know that the floor of the basement is at the original grade level, they built the wall and then filled around it to put the house up on a hill.

(*Around here we call a stone of that size "medium-sized." A "large" stone is one that is visible from space.)

Remember the pyramids, that construction was 100% man power. They did use leverage, incline planes, and rude wheels.

ron