Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210 #1  

Cavjock22

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6060, Bushhog 3210, Deere offset disk, Deere B drill, forks, bucket
Getting ready to change out bush hog blades in a few weeks..
Feeling a little bit of a vibration from the bush hog. I’m thinking new blades should fix or help remedy this..
Since Im replacing the bolts also, can I just use my Oxy/acetylene torch and cut the nut off and hammer out the pin.. I figure the heat would help unseize any potential bolt problems in the stump jumper.

This is going to be on a dual spindle 10 foot bush hog cutter. I have never tried tackling this before. Any ideas or thoughts.

Attachments

• 8758B1D2-1B8D-435F-A9BB-0FFA6613CEE6.jpeg
    8758B1D2-1B8D-435F-A9BB-0FFA6613CEE6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 207
   / Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210 #2  
Getting ready to change out bush hog blades in a few weeks..
Feeling a little bit of a vibration from the bush hog. I’m thinking new blades should fix or help remedy this..
Since Im replacing the bolts also, can I just use my Oxy/acetylene torch and cut the nut off and hammer out the pin.. I figure the heat would help unseize any potential bolt problems in the stump jumper.

This is going to be on a dual spindle 10 foot bush hog cutter. I have never tried tackling this before. Any ideas or thoughts.

Most Bush Hogs have a plate on the top to allow access for the removal of the nut on the retaining bolt. I would be very careful around the stump jumper with heat.

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210 #3  
I can only say support the blade holder before pounding out the blade bolts.

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210
Most Bush Hogs have a plate on the top to allow access for the removal of the nut on the retaining bolt. I would be very careful around the stump jumper with heat.

Mine has access to the nuts on top as well. I just figured since I’m installing new bolts I will just go ahead and cut the nuts off with a torch. I’m not sure why you mentioned being careful with heat around the stump jumper. Most folks use heat to remove the bolts anyway.

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210
I can only say support the blade holder before pounding out the blade bolts.
that’s a good point. I’m hoping if I cut the Nuts off with a torch it might be enough heat to loosen the bolts.

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210 #6  
I believe either way would be fine, cutting the nut off with a torch or unscrewing them. I used a 3/4 inch impact wrench when I changed the plaids on mine for the first time. I reused the original bolts and nuts and coated them with NeverSeize when I did the reassembly.

Like already has been stated, be sure to support the blade holder before attempting to pound the bolts out. ;)

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210 #7  
Mine came off quite readily with the use of a DeWalt impact wrench and an appropriate (1 11/16"?) socket. It was a nice surprise.

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210 #8  
I have changed blades twice on brush hogs. Both times I unscrewed the nut. That was tough. I didn't have a strong impact wrench so I used a breaker bar with a 6' long iron pipe slipped onto the breaker bar to increase the leverage. Worked well. I reversed the process when installing the new blades.

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210 #9  
I'm cheap. Every spring, I remove the three blades on my JD riding mower and sharpen. After 17 years - still using the OEM blades. Initially it was a true ***** to get the bolts loose. Many "barked" knuckles. Dumb - no gloves. Now I goop the bolts with Never Seize and removal is quite easy.

I sharpen and rebalance the blades every spring. Still cuts just great. I've never hit anything that bends or chips the blades. So that's a big help.

However - I do use the riding mower like most use a bush hog. I cut grass, wild rose bushes, Buck brush & to clear fields of old bunch grass & weeds. It's just - slow & go.

/ Getting ready to change out bush hog blades on 3210 #10  
Since you are replacing the bolts and the blades at the same time, I don't see any problem with cutting them off with a torch. They can be a real pain to unscrew, especially if you don't have a big impact wrench. If I remember correctly, I think that they are supposed to be torqued to 300 pounds or something extreme like that.

I lift mine and put it on blocks when changing my blades. When I replaced my gear box, I had to remove the stump jumper, so I picked up the mower and set it on its side and strapped it to my backhoe so it wouldn't fall over on me.

Mike, one of the guys that used to be on here made the mistake of lifting his zero turn mower with his loader to change his blades, and while under it, a chain slipped and it fell on him, killing him. Never work under a mower unless it's resting on blocks.