Tractor Sizing Finding the right fit?

/ Finding the right fit? #31  
Top links run $30 or so ... no big deal. They detach at both ends by means of a simple pin. Some leave them attached to the tractor, some to the implements, others hang them in a shed between uses. People often have several because they need to be adjusted to different lengths for different implements.

CountyLine Adjustable Top Link, Cat. 1 at Tractor Supply Co.

/ Finding the right fit? #32  
I would love a blower, but it's just another added expense. (I know that's tempting, but. come on) Even if it took me a bit longer with the loader, that's ok as long as it gets done without the use of a shovel. (Like the winter past) But yeah, the angle, especially on crushed lime or 5/8". I did touch on "shoes" previously. Not sure of the proper terminology, but I'm referring to the spacers added to the bottom of the loader bucket/Blade. It leaves an inch or two on the drive, but better than having your driveway in the bushes I guess.

There's a brand called "Edge Tamers".

Don't want to turn the thread into a snow removal and driveway discussion, but I have just recently stumbled upon recycled asphalt, and the discussions that I had with a couple of companies focused around the "cold rolled" asphalt as the final product? So this mention of "Dusting" I gotta say, that's beyond me.

Thanks for your input

Not "dusting" - stone dust, as in crushed limestone, sometimes called "screening".

Get to know your local excavation guy/dump truck guy/gal. I did my driveway myself, removing 8" of topsoil. I asked the excavator about material and he said that he was contracted to haul asphalt from a local highway resurfacing job. I paid him like $100 a load. I leveled and flattened it myself, simply running back and forth over it with the filled tires of my B7500. I then finished it off with said stone dust (2 loads I believe). The only downside, and it could be a significant one for you - the small stones stick to your shoes.

Sorry for slightly veering off topic - but I wanted to clarify.

garage.jpg

/ Finding the right fit?
   / Finding the right fit? #34  
Well I just skimmed thru all the posts on this link.
One thing that jumped out to me was your description of the ditches you would be digging only being two feet deep.
Then I saw mentioned that they would be for piping the heated water from an outside boiler for heating use.
To me that seems quite shallow for burying lines, seems like your frost depth would be much deeper then that.
As far as digging the ditches with a compact it can certainly be done, in many cases size and power are directly related to the time to do a project.
Lots of time can equal lots of digging, if on a schedule and quicker results are needed more power required.
Personally for ditch digging and direct burial I prefer rental trenchers with rock chains, 3-5 feet deep and only 8 inches wide.
My :2cents: , enjoy

/ Finding the right fit?
There's a brand called "Edge Tamers".

Not "dusting" - stone dust, as in crushed limestone, sometimes called "screening".

Get to know your local excavation guy/dump truck guy/gal. I did my driveway myself, removing 8" of topsoil. I asked the excavator about material and he said that he was contracted to haul asphalt from a local highway resurfacing job. I paid him like $100 a load. I leveled and flattened it myself, simply running back and forth over it with the filled tires of my B7500. I then finished it off with said stone dust (2 loads I believe). The only downside, and it could be a significant one for you - the small stones stick to your shoes.

Sorry for slightly veering off topic - but I wanted to clarify.

View attachment 599619

Screening I understand. I have just never heard the term "dusting" in relation to a driveway or screening. but yeah, I get it now. But they way it was explained to me is the top finished layer is the cold rolled asphalt? The stones were used as the base.

My pending plan was to do the same 8" or so removal, as mentioned I can dump it down (95% dirt, 5% pea and 5/8" both lime) a relatively steep unusable embankment on the property, followed by leveling out 4" delivered 3" minus, and then 4" of 5/8" lime, and then apply cold asphalt and Roll it with a rented 5 ton.?

Lot of work..you bet.... but no stones in my shoes :)

But to keep true to the topic, the bottom line is, this can all be done with a SCUT....

/ Finding the right fit? #36  
Screening I understand. I have just never heard the term "dusting" in relation to a driveway or screening.

Nowhere in my previous posts did I use the term "dusting."

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured.

/ Finding the right fit?
Nowhere in my previous posts did I use the term "dusting."

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured.

Oh I see.......... Well..... I have never heard of stone dust either. crushed limestone, and screening yes. So I guess I just earned a new term.....

As far as having it all figured, Not so sure. Just seeing what others are doing and how it works out for them... IOW I'm not saying was you did was backwards, maybe what I was told was backwards? But by the sounds of it, it seems to be working out for you. I'll just keep my ears open is all I can do at this point.

Thanks

/ Finding the right fit?
Well I just skimmed thru all the posts on this link.
One thing that jumped out to me was your description of the ditches you would be digging only being two feet deep.
Then I saw mentioned that they would be for piping the heated water from an outside boiler for heating use.
To me that seems quite shallow for burying lines, seems like your frost depth would be much deeper then that.
As far as digging the ditches with a compact it can certainly be done, in many cases size and power are directly related to the time to do a project.
Lots of time can equal lots of digging, if on a schedule and quicker results are needed more power required.
Personally for ditch digging and direct burial I prefer rental trenchers with rock chains, 3-5 feet deep and only 8 inches wide.
My :2cents: , enjoy

I may have to rent a small backhoe/mini ex, opposed to a trencher as many have mentioned. This is because the trenchers that I have came across only dig down 18" and 4" wide. The dual insulated pipe that is needed to be installed is about 6" wide. Hence I may need a small backhoe/mini ex. Cost for a 6' depth mini ex I think it was will cost $600 weekend max 12 hours use, delivered and picked up.

The trench depth is only meant for protection due to a heavy vehicle possibly crushing the pipe under a driveway or any large equipment that may be on the grass. It is not meant for frost line protection. At least this is how it was explained to me, and this is the way everyone that I spoke with (which is quite a few) installs the pipe.

The fire is started in the fall and remains lit until spring. The water is circulating from furnace to house/shop continuously during this period. As long as the water is circulating there is no chance of freezing. But I understand your point and I wondered the same thing. I may dig down 4' + anyhow just be safe, y-not

/ Finding the right fit? #39  
To give you a little more to ponder, the cold crushed asphalt on top has some pros and cons. A pro is that it does compact well, almost like a "hot asphalt job", usually doing ok for a few years. Then needs to be "worked" again. This is where a major con comes to play... Some of it sticks together and forms BIG clumps. Really hard to grade smooth again. Almost impossible to get it as good as when it was first put down.

So, with that in mind, using it as a base course, works very good, compacts nice and hard. Then having a top course of crushed stone, allows you to re-grade as any " normal" drive, using a blade or landplane for example.

/ Finding the right fit?
From the informative posts provided by the SCUT owners here, (and all other posts, thanks) aswellas my little digging test on the Mahindra I think that if I do get my own tractor, that a SCUT is all I will ever really need. Unfortunately I have changed my budget perimeters, knowing of course that this will give me an older machine with more hours, but it is the only way that I can justify having one.

The other option is rent a min ex or backhoe... and buy a pick up with plow for a few grand to do the snow, which theoretically I could use to push the stones around on a driveway project I guess.

I let you know how things go...

Thanks to all ...