5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #1  

zachofalltrades

Tractor
JD GT225
I recently joined but took a few days to formulate this question, but I think I got even more confused. I have 5 acres of property that's basically divided into "upper" and "lower" by a reasonable slope that I've never measured. Approximately 2 acres is yard/driveway/house, the remaining 3 is wooded, and I have a shared gravel driveway that is approximately .25 miles. My neighbors are all retired and do not own equipment to maintain the driveway. Immediate need is being able to maintain the driveway, mow, move materials like mulch, and remove light snow (I have a snow blower now and have had maybe 1-2 storms in the past 3 years that needed it). I have this fantasy that all 5 acres of my property should be "intentional," meaning that I don't need a 5 acre yard but I could see myself cutting paths through the property, clearing some undergrowth, moving some dirt, etc. In the someday category, I would also like to buy some of my neighbors land because I have probably 60+ acres of woods around me. Let me know if you need more background than that...

So I'm looking to replace my little JD garden tractor with a tractor with a loader and a MM mower deck. I'm stuck at my first decision on whether or not it's overkill to step up to a compact like a 2025r, B2301 or any number of other models. I would mostly be mowing and not starting any crazy projects for at least another year or so. I'm leaning towards the compact, and I get the feeling that's where most people would point me. Next is the choice of brand... I have the following near me:
  • John Deere
  • Kubota
  • Kioti
  • New Holland
  • Mahindra
  • Massey Ferguson
  • Rural King (RK Tractors)
Within 100 miles I also have:
  • Yanmar
  • LS
  • TYM
So basically I have a pretty good selection. I had my heart set on JD as a brand loyalty, but I'm slowly realizing that they're probably the most expensive option, and the local sales team is kinda lazy. Maybe I don't look serious, but to say they're not pushy is the understatement of the century.

TL;DR: 5 acres doing all sorts of stuff, needs to be a decent mower because I don't want multiple machines. Subcompact vs compact? Stick with green envy or open up to other brands? I have most brands available within a reasonable drive.

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #2  

The MMM is a inferior mowing option IMO. They cost close to a used ZTR and get in the way of doing anything else. The loader also gets in the way of mowing. I’d buy an orange CUT and a ZTR.

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #3  
I would go with a CUT and a dedicated mower. Z turns are wonderful. I have a SCUT and a Z turn and very happy I don't have a belly mower that I would have to be taking on and off. Any serious landscaping or woods work, you won't want a MMM attached to your tractor.

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #4  
Re: 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions

The MMM is a inferior mowing option IMO.

I would rather have a rear finish mower. You could keep it if you ever change tractors.

A subcompact like the Kubota BX will connect to common full size Cat 1 implements but can't use them through their full range of motion. When connected to a level implement, your lift range is already half used up.

Bruce

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #5  

I would rather have a rear finish mower. You could keep it if you ever change tractors.

A subcompact like the Kubota BX will connect to full size Cat 1 implements but can't use them through their full range of motion. When connected to a level implement, your lift is already half used up.

Bruce

I’d rather have a finish mower over an MMM but they’re both inferior to a ZTR.

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #6  

I’d rather have a finish mower over an MMM but they’re both inferior to a ZTR.

But that's another machine, which he didn't want.

Bruce

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions

Bruce

Yeah I am trying to avoid it. I briefly considered that route, but I have issues with something that loses steering if it loses traction on one wheel. I do mow a large sloped area that caused me constant problems until I got my current GT, which has liquid filled AGs on the rear. Before that, my light riding mower with turf tires slid down the hill a couple of times when it was wet. I also have a large clearing in the woods that I've mowed before and would like to keep clear, but it would not be reachable by a zero turn.

Edit: added a thought. Everything I've heard is that the subcompact makes a better mower if that's primary use, but I see a ton of those with low hours traded in. I'm wondering if people aren't buying a big enough tractor?

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #8  

Bruce

He came here for advice and I offered. A commercial ZTR with bar tires and a good operator will hill side perform with anything out there. If a ZTR won’t get there a SCUT with a MMM probably won’t either.

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #9  
That would be my choice, for me, too.

I want a mower for mowing.
I want a tractor for tractoring.

Bruce

/ 5 acres - Subcompact vs Compact & Suggestions #10  

That would be my choice, for me, too.

I want a mower for mowing.
I want a tractor for tractoring.

Bruce

Exactly they each suck at the other ones job. And the MMM cost a significant percentage of a used ZTR. Since mowing was his primary target he could buy the ZTR now and the tractor later and have a lot better setup without mulch price difference.

Last edited: