Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice

/ Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #1  

jpover

Tractor
John Deere / X304
Friends,

I need a little help / advice. We're closing on 16 acres this month and I believe I'll need a tractor to run a bush hog to keep the place up. It was selectively logged about 5-6 years ago and would be considered "raw land". Not much terrain / hills but lots of low lying brush and some large trees. Here's where I'm at:

1) 1 acre or so for the house & yard; I'll mow this with a riding mower
2) 2 acre pond (having this built)
3) so this leaves 13 or so acres that I'll need to maintain

Although we plan on having some livestock (chickens, a milk cow and some sheep or goats) I don't plan on doing any heavy cultivating.

As far as I can tell, I just need something to run a 5 or 6 foot bush hog. I'm considering a used JD or Kubota but am still learning quite a bit about the brands and models. We're not from a family of farmers or even land owners so there's no "generational knowledge" to pull from.

Any suggestions or things I should consider? Also, I plan on having a side-by-side for checking the fence/perimeter and for other chores.

I'll keep reading on the forum here but wanted to get my questions out there for input.

Thanks!

/ Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #2  
I have a lot of farmers in my family,,
and I have been buying tractors since 1982,,

If I had to get rid of all of my tractors, except one,, I would keep the JD 4105 in the center of this pic,,

sDxlghh.jpg

Not to big, not too small,, for several or up to a dozen acres,,,

/ Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice
CADplans - thanks, I'll start giving that model a look. I've had a JD X304 mower since 2008 and it's been very reliable.

/ Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #4  
Normal brush hogs are only good for brush with stems up to about an inch. If they're much larger than that you'll need to do something else.

/ Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #5  
We're closing on 16 acres this month. I'll need a tractor to maintain 13 acres. Land was selectively logged 5-6 years ago and would be considered "raw land". Not much hills but lots of low lying brush and some large trees. I just need something to run a 5 or 6 foot bush hog.

I'm considering a used JD or Kubota but am still learning quite a bit about the brands and models. We're not from a family of farmers or even land owners so there's no "generational knowledge" to pull from.

Mowing with an OPEN STATION tractor hot, disagreeable tractor work. The tractor gets filthy. The operator gets filthy. You breathe dust and mould.
Mowing in a CABBED TRACTOR with air conditioning and air filtration improves the mowing experience. Factory Cabs cost $7,000.

Rotary Mowers, like other implements, come in Light Duty, Medium Duty and Heavy Duty models. Generally speaking, there is 150 pounds of weight difference assoicoated with heavier increments. If you carefully study new mower specs, most have Category 3 drive lines. Heavy Duty models have Category 4 drive lines. Dealers often refer to HD Category 4 mowers as "Right-of-Way" Mowers.
If you buy too light a Rotary Cutter, then cut saplings, it will soon visit the shop.

25 horsepower will power a Light Duty 5' Rotary Mower
40 horsepower will power a Heavy Duty 5' Rotary Mower

35 horsepower will power a Light Duty 6' Rotary Mower
45 horsepower will power a Heavy Duty 6' Rotary Mower

Here is a mowing calculator. Speed will be determined by how rough your ground is and how many stumps have to be avoided. Likely speed range 2-1/2 mph to 5 mph. Most mow in HST/MED range.

Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

Last edited:
   / Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #6  
The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to identify potential tractor applications first, then determine bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications.

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is generally greater than depreciation on a tractor.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after seven years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.​

I recommend minimum bare tractor weight of 2,700 pounds for a 5' Rotary Mower maintaining 13 acres.
I recommend minimum bare tractor weight of 3,500 pounds for a 6' Rotary Mower maintaining 13 acres.

Weight will help keep you safe as you learn.

Last edited:
   / Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #7  
You going to mow 13 acres regularly? If so, are you retired or do you have time constraints? Mowing that much land says "batwing mower" to me with a 50+HP tractor. I mow a little less than that 2X a month in the summer and just went to a 12ft batwing, it was taking way too long with a 72in mower. Your in TX, right? To me, a lot of mowing, in Texas heat says "cab with a batwing" as the best way to get it done in comfort with a reasonable amount of time invested.

As far as a side by side, I have a Honda Pioneer 1000-4. It's great, you can seat 4 if you need to without the length of the a dedicated 4 seater. If you need 4 seats and a bed all the time, I'd look elsewhere, but if you want a normal sized UTV with the potential to seat 4, it's a great choice, I really like mine.

/ Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #8  
I would first figure out how often you will mow. Most people who brush hog only do it 2 or 3 times a year, so a 6 foot will probably be okay. You will want an end loader. Also figure how you will take care of a drive way. Will it be gravel and how long? The same tractor will most likely take caro of the drive it is just a matter of getting a box blade or rear blade with the tractor. Good luck, sounds like an exciting time coming up in your life.

/ Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #9  
That’s a lot of land to be thinking of a 5-6’ brush hog. I’ve got a 10’ double blade and it does well behind my 100hp tractor, I’ll hog 30-40 acres 1-2 times a year on my place and it still takes a while. I’d find the widest cut the tractor you are considering will handle. Either draw bar or 3pt. And always get a little more tractor than you think you will need. I’ve never heard anyone say “my tractor is just to big, to heavy or to stout”. It can be an expensive lesson to learn.

/ Closing on 16 acres, help with tractor choice #10  
That’s a lot of land to be thinking of a 5-6’ brush hog. I’ve got a 10’ double blade and it does well behind my 100hp tractor, I’ll hog 30-40 acres 1-2 times a year on my place and it still takes a while. I’d find the widest cut the tractor you are considering will handle. Either draw bar or 3pt. And always get a little more tractor than you think you will need. I’ve never heard anyone say “my tractor is just to big, to heavy or to stout”. It can be an expensive lesson to learn.

Side by side, Polaris ranger. I’ve got over 3000 miles on mine with 0 problems.