Comparison Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #11  
After I bought my JD 4105, I was looking at tractordata.com, and noticed that the JD 4105 is virtually a physical clone of the Ford 8N and the TO35,,
(wheelbase, width, tire sizes,,, etc,,,)
I have always wondered if the designers of the 4105 copied the two older tractors?? :eek:
Yes, the 4105 has some modern conveniences,, but, that is really what you want,, right?? :confused:

I now know why that size tractor was so popular,, my 4105 is a "Do-It-All" sized machine.

Maybe looking at tractordata.com will help you find the right machine,, not to big, not too small,,, just right,,,!! :thumbsup:

9hfBD6Q.jpg

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #12  
so are you ready to draw straws or flip coins yet for that tractor lol, you have options and there is that 4 series i was talking about and i am like jeff in that i dont think you would be happy with a lighter or less powered tractor than what you have been used to.

Most all are going to be hydro unless you looks specifically for something that is not - they are a 3 speed hydro i believe on the deere when u jump to that size same for the kubota in that size anyway, my favorite thing on my 2038R is the bucket joystick its awesome!!!! between that and the cruise control and deck lift its a no brainer for my daughter and wife.

These newer tractors are very user friendly

Enjoy your search, sorry i cant help much on the branson we dont have a dealer close in my area - take your time and drive it and sit in the seat and feel the levers and seat position and controls, they are different especially with the dual pedals for hydros vs teeter totter type on the kubota, some like different styles of controls and if you are a tall fella u might need some extra leg room etc....

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #13  
jeff9366 - thanks for the detailed reply. I did not intent to come off as dismissive towards the L354, just above my price range and not looking for a cab. Good points on weight and emissions, did not know that. Does seem hard to find something under 40 hp with similar weight to what I have now.

I found a L2501 on CL based on your comment. What are your thoughts on hours/price? What痴 considered low hours/yr?

I'll be curious to hear what you decide to get and why. And if the discussion here on TBN has helped you to form any opinions.

About your question on what makes for low hours and years. First off, you'll normally hear hours expressed as total hours rather than hours per year. That's probably because the years don't matter much if a tractor is kept inside or at least under a shed or ventilated tarp. If it just sits outside in the weather and is more than a couple years old I'd be careful. New tractors don't sit outside with the same impunity that older tractors did. So years don't matter as much as the total hours used. And HOW it was used matters more than hours or years.

But to give you a ballpark answer.....with some sort of cover and decent maintenance - not necessarily "by the book"...but decent upkeep, I'd say that for 4x4 compact or utility tractors anything under 500 hours would qualify in my opinion as low hours. Then from 500 to 2000 hours would be medium hours, and anything over 3000 hours would be higher hours. Again, all of those numbers are for compact tractors made in the last 20 years.

I have personally bought tractors with many more hours. In fact we have two now that had over 5000 hrs. when bought. IMHO, after about 3000 hours everything depends on how they were used and maintained. That's because it isn't really hours so much as the type of use, maintainance, upkeep, and storage that age a tractor. I should also make the point that I understand & enjoy mechanical things and enjoy doing my own light mechanical work.....especially on well-maintained older machines.

There are plenty of older tractors available in fine condition. Now that people don't do so much of their own mechanical work, there are very good values to be had in used equipment. I wonder if a lot of tractors are getting passed along between owners without ever seeing a dealer?I don't see good used older machines at the dealers very often.
rScotty

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #14  
Time to retire the 60 year old machine. There have been a lot if improvements since then.

For 6.5 acres you don't need a real big heavy tractor. People here will always recommend bigger and lots of add ons that run the price up accordingly

In Michigan a cab seems like it would be a must have, so Jeff's suggestion of a Grand L is perfect, if pricey for your budget.

If you want open station unit a Kubota L01 is perfect for your needs- we have an L3901 and it is a beast in a small size.

We just bought an old strip mine property (100 acres) and got an MX5800 for it and another tract nearby

There is a reason there are tons of late model JD for sale- Kubota not so much.

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm looking for my newer tractor armed with more info thanks to you guys.

There are a bunch of used 3 series JDs and I really want to like them but the more i compare specs the weight of the tractor and loader capacity seems a little lacking. The price of them is pretty high to not get a bigger tractor.

I found a L2501 used in good shape and within my price range. It is a little light on PTO HP to spin my 5' brush hog. The size is in line with the 3 series of JD but a little heavier. Do like that it has a shuttle trans instead of hydro. Again a little bit smaller.

I talked to the Branson dealer near me and he sold a used 3015R i was interested in. He said he has a new 2018 model 3515R he would do a cash price of 18500. With financing he said would have to add the loader cost and be another 3500. I can come up with the cash but want your guys input. It is right around 3000lbs and 35HP. The PTO HP online says 22, seems low for a 35HP tractor with shuttle trans? It has a size up in tires from the L2501 and JD 3 series. I like the sounds of it and the price can't be beat for a new tractor, but how about reliability? I did ask him about parts availability and he admitted its not as quick as say a JD or Kubota but in his opinion (from a sales guy) reasonable. Whatever that means. Let me know your thoughts.

- Nick

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #16  
i have no experience with them but havent heard any horror stories with them either, that does sound odd for a 35 to be down that much at the pto - im showing 28pto hp on the 3015 and 30pto hp for the 3515 on their website so i think that is more accurate

cant offer anything on the branson parts either, since your not making a living with it that might be a bit of a trade off for less $$, do you plan on keeping it for the rest of your life or trading it and or selling and desire resale $$

if those are out then seems like a good option

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #17  
I talked to the Branson dealer near me and he sold a used 3015R i was interested in. He said he has a new 2018 model 3515R he would do a cash price of 18500. With financing he said would have to add the loader cost and be another 3500. I can come up with the cash but want your guys input. It is right around 3000lbs and 35HP. The PTO HP online says 22, seems low for a 35HP tractor with shuttle trans? It has a size up in tires from the L2501 and JD 3 series. I like the sounds of it and the price can't be beat for a new tractor, but how about reliability? I did ask him about parts availability and he admitted its not as quick as say a JD or Kubota but in his opinion (from a sales guy) reasonable. Whatever that means. Let me know your thoughts.
- Nick

I know that the price of a new tractor can be a big shock and start you immediately looking for alternatives. But when you look at other dealerships ask yourself which ones look like they are tractor dealers and which ones look like general stores also selling tractors.... Admittedly that doesn't tell you a thing about the merits of the different tractors, but it does have some bearing on getting parts, service, and how their whole service side works for you
For a lot of people I'd say that since this is their first new tractor in a long time or maybe forever, they should stay with a major brand until they know a bit more about tractors in general. But since you have enough experience and like to do some of your own wrenching that doesn't apply so much to you. If you are not going with one of the major brands, it might make sense so stay basic on the tractor. Go with the tried and true. That means manual tranny or shuttle shift rather than HST.

Check out their service manual and parts manual - that will tell you a huge amount about the company and where they put their values.

For the engine, you want the old style mechanical fuel pump with separate injection instead of a common rail system. Hopefully no emissions control or minimal & easy to get to, and minimal computer control or none at all. Brakes should be self-serviceable.

At least ask about the the availability of common service items like water pumps, gasket sets, and U-joints. Those kinds of things are surprisingly available for the old TO35, but check on newer machines.
luck, rScotty

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact
Alright guys I've done a lot of looking a got my excel sheet going. What I've found is that I really have 3 options: 1) Used major brand in the size I want, 2) New off brand in the size I want, 3) New major brand that is smaller than I want. Think i've eliminated #3.

Here are the two machines i have my eye one now.

1) Kubota L3540 HST - 2011 - $16,900 - 975 hours
Link: 211 Kubota L354HST for sale in Byron Center, MI. Byron Center Byron Center, MI (616) 877-:D

2) Branson 3515R - 2018 - $17,900 - New
Link: New 218 Branson 3515R 35hp Shuttle Shift Tractor w/Loader - farm & garden - by owner - sale

These two tractors are pretty much identical in price and size/power. So, do I go with a major brand that I know will have parts available but has almost 1,000 hours and who knows how its been maintained/treated? How soon will stuff start breaking? Or do I go with brand new tractor in off brand? I mean it would be really cool to have a new tractor and do all the maintenance to really make it last. My fear is when something does go out how do i find parts? I tried googling Branson Tractor Parts and I can't find much of anything. If i do the same for Kubota i can find them no problem. On the flip size I probably only use my tractor 2 hours a week. That is almost 10 years of hours on the Kubota. Also, the Branson has free delivery, not sure on Kubota.

Thoughts?

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #20  
have you flipped a coin yet? i find plenty of info on branson.com - they are owned by the same parent CO as TYM tractors - great WTY, better than Deere not sure what kubota offers - 2 yr bumper to bumper and 6 on engine/trannie on the branson is nothing to sneeze at, not knowing on the used one that is Out of WTY is a tough one.

1000 hours are not a lot overall but know what was done in that 1000 hours is another thing. All of the used equipment I have purchased from tractors/to SS i have talked to the previous owners - my dealers all provided the info as it was a requirement for the sale - did i end up buying them all NO, but the ones i did buy i was glad i made it a requirement and got to talk to the previous owners.

you might hear the kubota loyals say id rather own a 50 y/o kubota than a brand new whatever the make - so all in all you are paying 1000 bucks for a 6 yr wty and new vs possible repairs and older, that kubota will hold its value better but if you plan to keep the branson till u die its a moot point on the kubota

if you dont like/dont prefer/dont want the hydro - thats a given to go with what you want vs kicking yourself for not

have you sat on both and driven them and felt the seat/loader position/pedals/steering/controls for lifts, view of the hitch, sound, ride position, comfort, im serious, does it feel good and fit you? if not no amount of years will overcome that every time you get on.