Comparison Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #21  
Kubota L3540 HST - 2011 - $16,900 - 975 hours
Link: 211 Kubota L354HST for sale in Byron Center, MI. Byron Center Byron Center, MI (616) 877-8

Do I go with Kubota that I know will have parts available but has almost 1,000 hours and who knows how its been maintained/treated? How soon will stuff start breaking?

I took delivery of my L3560 in January 2013, special order. That indicates the L3540 would have been produced in the last two years before Tier IV emission controls phased in on this model. Many here would consider this simplicity highly desirable. (I am neutral.) Certainly easy for you to maintain.

The tires look good. When the rubber tires look good it is pretty likely the rubber/fabric/metal mesh hydraulic hoses have not sun deteriorated.

Enlarging the photo, the paint appears unfaded.
Paint on the bucket is intact. This tractor has not moved much dirt. Certainly never experienced commercial use.

Flip up PTO guard is not bent. Hard used tractors always have PTO shields bent.

Inquire if this a one-owner tractor and if it was inside stored. It probably is both.

It appears the previous owner/operator used this 'Grand L' tractor for light landscaping tasks.

975 hours/8 years = 122 engine hours per year. Certainly never experienced commercial use.

VIDEO: How To Evaluate A Used Tractor - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #23  
Do I go with a major brand that I know will have parts available but has almost 1,000 hours and who knows how its been maintained/treated? How soon will stuff start breaking?

I own a 1956 MF TO 35 and am considering a newer (preferably used due to cost) compact tractor.
I feel like it's a ticking time bomb before more stuff breaks.

I am a bit surprised at how you worded your inquiry. But I have a Grand L.

Kubota Grand Ls, prudently operated and prudently maintained, are among the most reliable compact tractors.
Every component comprising the Kubota, less tires, is made in a Kubota plant. In my opinion a Kubota Grand L compact tractor not used in commercial work is just broken in at 1,000 engine hours.

Kubota has nearly 50% USA market share in compact tractors. There are good reasons for this dominance.

Last edited:
   / Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #24  
Enlarging the photo, the paint appears unfaded.
Paint on the bucket is intact. This tractor has not moved much dirt. Certainly never experienced commercial use.

Jeff, take another look at those photos.... To my eye that looks like a repaint job on the bucket. Do you see what I see? In one photo I even see overspray on the welded-on hooks on top of the bucket. Then as I look at it closer I seem to see other repainted areas on the tractor- but that might just be the quality of the photos. Are those vertical sides on the bucket also welded on? I've not seen buckets like that. Do the loader arms seem "splotchy"? Do the wheels seem almost too shiny clean?
It is hard for me to tell.....but I'm becoming less and less sure that it is non-commercial. Call me unconvinced.....

I want to believe in it. but we have an old tractor dealer locally who has made his living for decades buying old tractors, doing minimal maintenance, and re-painting them to make them look newer.
Like I said, I'd like to believe, but on that L3540 I would absolutely have to see it in person and drive it around. On the plus side, it's probably better than the TO35 regardless - but that is still a lot of money. Do you think he could do better? I certainly understand the desire to get a new one - even if smaller - and make it last forever. The L2501 seems a bit small for as many acres and such....although it is probably a more useable friendly tractor than the TO35 and would work almost as well despite the small size. But once a guy becomes used to a larger tractor who wants to go smaller? Certainly not me! Once spoiled by real weight and traction I'd find it very hard to go smaller.

I'd rather wait and find a machine for $20K - or under - that was low hrs and clean more like that L3540 in post #2 - but without the cab. IMHO that L3540 in post #2 was/is a better deal in spite of the cab & cost.

I don't know enough about the Branson to offer any opinion. They aren't common where I am, dealers are hundreds of miles apart or more and tend to be other than real tractor dealers. I just don't know them.

Nick go look at the Kubota L3540 if you want to and it is close by. Itwould be perfect if it was 500 hrs and really was a one-owner, stored inside, kind of near-perfect condition tractor.....and if it was, then the price would be OK. But I'm suspicious. So when you go, be prepared to offer a MUCH lower price or just walk away. You've been around machinery a while. I think you'll know the answer the moment you see it.

My bottom line is that if I was you then for near $20 grand I'm not yet seeing the one that just reaches out and grabs me. But it's out there. That's a lot of money..... I'd have to go look.
rScotty

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #25  
Jeff, take another look at those photos.... To my eye that looks like a repaint job on the bucket. Do you see what I see?

I view with an Apple 'Air' with a modest dimensioned screen.

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #26  
ok lets get serious about this kubota/pictures

its definitely sat outside, the arm rests are faded/chalky looking, there is rust on the left side of the seat, shift lever knob missing, screws missing on lower dash, upper dash has been apart check out finger prints and dust around screw hole, lower dash obviously apart too since there are screws missing, work done by = 1 someone that didnt care about getting them back on or 2 a dealer didnt give a rip about making it right before he sold it, steering wheel cap missing, faded rubber on loader boot, rust/dirt something on rear wheel, more rust inside wheel well/fenders, paint on hooks doesnt match ( not that it matters just an observation of care to make something proper ) not trying to nit pick but if i was seriously looking for something to make the cut on a potential purchase this would not be one i would even go look at personally - for the money NO WAY

Id either keep looking or go branson provided i liked the branson, i havent sat on one or driven or know anyone that has had one so that would be a huge research project for me personally

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #27  
you have 5 kioti dealers within 60 miles and 3 within 42 miles have you considered one of those?

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact #28  
   / Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact
have you flipped a coin yet? i find plenty of info on branson.com - they are owned by the same parent CO as TYM tractors - great WTY, better than Deere not sure what kubota offers - 2 yr bumper to bumper and 6 on engine/trannie on the branson is nothing to sneeze at, not knowing on the used one that is Out of WTY is a tough one.]

I talked to the Kubota dealer and they don't know a lot about the machine besides a customer traded it in for a bigger tractor. They do not seem willing to work on the price at all. For this much $ the hours do make me a bit nervous without knowing the use/maintenance. I am likely going to be off work tomorrow to go sit on at least one. They are both opposite directions from each other so will probably only make it to one. The Branson dealer is closer, it has the shuttle trans, and is new with warranty. I think I need to go take a look and judge it in person. If I knew I could find parts for the Branson I'd likely buy it. The warranty is attractive but not so much if parts are unavailable or dealers are not around me. So, I will be judging the tractor as much if not more the dealer and parts. Searcyfarms - You said you could find a lot of info online. Not questioning you but i've had little luck. Do you have a link or two you have found to parts for Branson? I also posted this question to the Branson forum.

I have been intrigued by Kioti but have not had a chance to make it to a dealer yet.

Thanks a ton guys.

- Nick

/ Replace 1956 MF TO 35 with compact
Sorry don't know how to do the quote function yet...