Ethanol Free Gas

/ Ethanol Free Gas #41  
As a old boater which has seen the issues with ethanol in old motors deteriorating hoses and other rubber parts, have seen no issues with modern motors. If there were actual documented issues with E10 then there would be a major uproar over the world about it. Millions of motors running with E10, and if there were actual issues related back to the fuel, there would be no escape.

Its opinions, read a similar post about a specific (no names) synthetic oil. Poster said he changed his oil to the specific oil and instantly noticed it was quiter, and also noticed higher performance and fuel economy.

So when I read another say something to cover all aspects instantly and suggest all others are unable to see the sky is blue, I just ignore and smile

Well, there is a bit of an uproar in the small engine markets. Most modern small engines now have plastics and rubber parts that are more tolerant of ethanol (but not necessarily completely "ethanol-proof"). The real problem comes when you don't use the engine regularly or turn over your stock of E10 fuel quickly enough. The ethanol in the fuel will pull moisture out of the air. After ti has pulled enough, the ethanol & water settle out to the bottom of the tank. The mixture is corrosive. If you are lucky, it stays in your tank,and you just dump it out. If you are not so lucky, it corrodes parts in the carb. If you are really unlucky, since the fuel mix is also the lubricant in a 2 cycle engine, the corrosive mix sits in your bottom end corroding engine parts. It generally won't come to that if you don't store fuel for long periods of time, and especially don't leave it sitting in your engines for extended periods. Unfortunately, if you are not using that chainsaw professionally (or in some other application that forces regular use), it's all too common for someone to leave the fuel in, thinking "I'll get back to this in a few days", and then forget all about it. You might get away with it many times, but I liken it to running a red light or stop sign. The vast majority of the time, you'll get away with it. Then your luck runs out and you get a ticket - or if you are having a really bad day, you get t-boned by someone coming the other way through the intersection.

Last edited:
   / Ethanol Free Gas #42  
When driving back from Iowa just last week, I hit the wrong button at Casey's and filled my '19 Jeep Cherokee with ethanol free gas. Not only is it more expensive (duh - Iowa is a huge corn producing state...), but my on-board computer dash tells me I got 1.5 mpg less, using straight gasoline. I'll buy their ethanol fee gas for my chainsaws and mowers, but my car(s) will get the blended stuff from now on. The John Deere gets whatever diesel blend is in season; no choice for that...

Last edited:
   / Ethanol Free Gas #43  
When driving back from Iowa just last week, I hit the wrong button at Casey's and filled my '19 Jeep Cherokee with ethanol free gas. Not only is it more expensive (duh - Iowa is a huge corn producing state...), but my on-board computer dash tells me I got 1.5 mpg less, using straight gasoline. I'll buy their ethanol fee gas for my chainsaws and mowers, but my car(s) will get the blended stuff from now on.

Spark plug gap is critical, you're 19 Jeep is gaped to run E10.. Non E isn't going to do anything positive for it.. The benefits of NON E are in 2 stroke and carbureted engines that sit with fuel in them for long periods of time..

/ Ethanol Free Gas #44  
Spark plug gap is critical, you're 19 Jeep is gaped to run E10.. Non E isn't going to do anything positive for it.. The benefits of NON E are in 2 stroke and carbureted engines that sit with fuel in them for long periods of time..

I would not have thought of that.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #45  
There is one station near me that carries ethanol free gas. Several years ago they switched from a regular pump on the row, to an above ground pump and tank that's a minor pain to get to and use. The sun often blocks the gauge display. I hated this until someone on here pointed out that there's a good chance a tank that allows you to select your fuel might have a hose full of ethanol gas still in it from the last customer. When I'm only buying a gallon for the chainsaw this might make a difference.

There's another station I can drive by on the way to the farm, that used to sell ethanol free gas in a standard row pump. Last time I used it, the gas had a lower octane rating and my saw didn't crank as quickly when I used it so, I'm back to the pain in the neck, above ground tank.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #46  
When driving back from Iowa just last week, I hit the wrong button at Casey's and filled my '19 Jeep Cherokee with ethanol free gas. Not only is it more expensive (duh - Iowa is a huge corn producing state...), but my on-board computer dash tells me I got 1.5 mpg less, using straight gasoline. I'll buy their ethanol fee gas for my chainsaws and mowers, but my car(s) will get the blended stuff from now on. The John Deere gets whatever diesel blend is in season; no choice for that...

Someone in this group said ethanol is used as an octane booster. Maybe that accounts for your mileage difference. (I had thought the reason for using ethanol was to get away from fossil fuel.)

/ Ethanol Free Gas

I've done a lot of reading on ethanol gas, mostly in hot rodding publications, and have not run across this. I've seen where you may have to go to colder heat range plugs using the higher blends of ethanol (E-85 for example) to control pre-ignition.

Do you have a reference or link? I'm always wanting to learn more!

Here is an interesting read from Hot Rod Mag

/ Ethanol Free Gas #48  
I hated this until someone on here pointed out that there's a good chance a tank that allows you to select your fuel might have a hose full of ethanol gas still in it from the last customer. When I'm only buying a gallon for the chainsaw this might make a difference.
In that case, I always put the first gallon in my pu's gas tank and then fill my cans...

SR

/ Ethanol Free Gas #50  
Most of the gas stations around me carry non-ethanol gas but only in the high test versions. Only a few carry 87 octane in non- ethanol. The local Shell station is $.70 per gallon more for the 93 octane non-ethanol than regular 87 with ethanol. Since everything I own runs on 87, I dont bother with the 93 not even in my lawnmower or other small engines. I just put the blue Stabil in at season end and it is usually good to go next spring.