Ethanol Free Gas

/ Ethanol Free Gas #51  
In that case, I always put the first gallon in my pu's gas tank and then fill my cans...

SR

I'd forgotten about the "first gallon in the truck" trick. If I ever locate a station that has high test ethanol free, in a multifuel pump, I'll try it. That above ground tank is no fun.

Last edited:
   / Ethanol Free Gas #52  
I cannot recall if the station I go to for ethanol free premuim has a separate hose, Most all stations around here do have separate hoses. I know the station I go to that has regular grade ethanol free has a hose, because diesel is the other grade on that pump position.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #53  
Someone in this group said ethanol is used as an octane booster. Maybe that accounts for your mileage difference. (I had thought the reason for using ethanol was to get away from fossil fuel.)

Not likely. The only way higher octane helps you gas mileage (at least without making physical changes to the engine, such as changing the compression ratio) is if you were starting with an octane rating so low you were getting detonation/pre-ignition, and raised it to the point where that stopped happening. Raising it further than that (other things being equal) does not give you more power or better gas mileage.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #54  
I've done a lot of reading on ethanol gas, mostly in hot rodding publications, and have not run across this. I've seen where you may have to go to colder heat range plugs using the higher blends of ethanol (E-85 for example) to control pre-ignition.

Do you have a reference or link? I'm always wanting to learn more!

Here is an interesting read from Hot Rod Mag

E85 generally has an octane rating of about 108 or so. (I don't have the reference handy, but if you google it, you'll find it easily.)

Despite the higher octane, 100% ethanol has about 2/3 the energy content of non-ethanol gasoline. (Put another way, you'd have to burn 1.5 gallons of E100 to release the same energy as 1 gallon of gas.) E85 would be slightly better than E100 in terms of energy content (assuming the other 15% in E85 is gasoline).

/ Ethanol Free Gas #55  
I've done a lot of reading on ethanol gas, mostly in hot rodding publications, and have not run across this. I've seen where you may have to go to colder heat range plugs using the higher blends of ethanol (E-85 for example) to control pre-ignition.

Do you have a reference or link? I'm always wanting to learn more!

Here is an interesting read from Hot Rod Mag

I have no links.. The reason I know it to be true is there is a performance center in TX that I have had custom tune my 3.5 twin turbo SHO, they require you to change out the plugs and regap them to run premuim 91 octane and or 91 non E fuels.. The tuner said it makes a difference from a stock plug gap.. Might be something here..

Ethanol Gas affects Spark Plug Selection - Colder and Narrower | Mercedes-Benz Forum

/ Ethanol Free Gas #56  
Holy carp. I went to fill up my 2 stroke gas can at my out of town station that sells premium ethanol free..... one hose! I have to thank this thread for getting me to notice. So this time the first 2 gallons went into a separate can.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #57  
Most of the gas stations around me carry non-ethanol gas but only in the high test versions. Only a few carry 87 octane in non- ethanol. The local Shell station is $.70 per gallon more for the 93 octane non-ethanol than regular 87 with ethanol. Since everything I own runs on 87, I dont bother with the 93 not even in my lawnmower or other small engines. I just put the blue Stabil in at season end and it is usually good to go next spring.

Blue (Marine Stabil) is the holy grail of gas preservative. Just remember it will get stale of you don't use it promptly (within a year of opening). Why there is a place on the back of the bottle to record the open date. I use it in everything gas powered.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #58  
Only thing I have against e-gas is, it takes more energy to make a gallon than the gallon returns in energy and we as taxpayers get to pay the difference (called the ethanol subsidity).

/ Ethanol Free Gas #59  
That is some of the best stuff I've found (not that I've done any scientific studies to prove it). The only downside I see is that regular Stabil will stabilize gas for up to 2 years, while I believe the marine stuff says 1 year. Since I don't let anything sit more than 6 months, it has not been an issue for me.

Never had any luck with the red stuff plus, it stinks and it stinks in the exhaust too.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #60  
Blue (Marine Stabil) is the holy grail of gas preservative. Just remember it will get stale of you don't use it promptly (within a year of opening). Why there is a place on the back of the bottle to record the open date. I use it in everything gas powered.
Never had any luck with the red stuff plus, it stinks and it stinks in the exhaust too.

I've never seen (or even heard of before this thread) the blue Stabil, guess it's not available everywhere. I couldn't tell you if the red stuff works or not, I'll use it in my generator, ATV and when I put my antique car away for the winter.
Never noticed a bad smell.