Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #1  

Andrew2019

Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Hi guys

Getting ready for my first winter with the Kubota and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

I'm going to use the BX for snow removal throughout the winter so I put a bunch of sandbags in the ballast box.

How much weight can I safely put in without damaging the 3 point hitch?

And should I take it off when I'm not using it?
(I could put some blocks under the box and lower it when not in use)

Drew

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #2  
Getting ready for my first winter with the Kubota BX2380.

I'm going to use the BX for snow removal throughout the winter so I put a bunch of sandbags in the ballast box.

1) How much weight can I safely put in without damaging the 3 point hitch?

2) And should I take it off when I'm not using it?

1) Lift capacity of your Three Point Hitch is in your Operator's Manual. Lift will be around 650 pounds including weight of the ballast box, so 650 pounds is 100% safe. You may still need tire chains for traction in snow. 650 pounds will also serve as ample counterbalance to max FEL lifts.

2) On or off makes no difference, however be sure to lower the load onto ground or other support so pressure is off your hydraulic system during storage. FEL should also be lowered during storage.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #3  
My BX2370 with 4 in 1 bucket came with 410lbs ballast as standard if that serves as a guide, obviously snow is not an issue with us but it keeps the back where it belongs with a full bucket, apart from that what Jeff said.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #4  
Yep, 650 lbs.

Although, someone tested it a while back, and BX's can lift a lot of weight back there. Forgot exactly how much, but someone loaded it up to over 1000 lbs.

Not something you really want to do, but it's interesting.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch
1) Lift capacity of your Three Point Hitch is in your Operator's Manual. Lift will be around 650 pounds including weight of the ballast box, so 650 pounds is 100% safe. You may still need tire chains for traction in snow. 650 pounds will also serve as ample counterbalance to max FEL lifts.

2) On or off makes no difference, however be sure to lower the load onto ground or other support so pressure is off your hydraulic system during storage. FEL should also be lowered during storage.

First off, thanks everyone for the fast reply.
Jeff, what would constitute storage? I'll be using the BX at least every two to three days I imagine.
Also, lowering the ballast box doesn't get it to the floor so I'd have to lower it onto cinder blocks.
That or take the sand bags out each time I'm done with it for the day.

Does anyone see an issue with lowering it on to cinderblocks when not in use?

Drew

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #6  
First off, thanks everyone for the fast reply.
Jeff, what would constitute storage? I'll be using the BX at least every two to three days I imagine.
Also, lowering the ballast box doesn't get it to the floor so I'd have to lower it onto cinder blocks.
That or take the sand bags out each time I'm done with it for the day.

Drew

None at all.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #7  
I'd be careful of setting equipment down on cinderblocks.

I had bad experiences with doing that. I once set an implement on some cinderblocks, they cracked, and I could've lost my foot. Luckily it was before I had the last pin out.

I recommend some wood, like make a small platform out of 6x6's just to be on the safe side.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #8  
Our ballast sits on the ground when lowered, I have forgotten to raise it a couple of times and incurred the wrath of the other half for tearing up the driveway or lawn.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #9  

Be careful setting equipment down on cinderblocks.

I had bad experiences with doing that. I once set an implement on some cinderblocks, they cracked, and I could've lost my foot. Luckily it was before I had the last pin out.

I recommend wood, like make a small platform out of 6x6's just to be on the safe side.

Lowering Ballast Box onto cinder blocks, perhaps with a couple 2X4s on blocks to disburse weight, or 6X6 timbers after the day's tractor work is fine.

Last edited:
   / Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #10  
Your 3 pt hitch is protected with two different valves.

A normal relief valve which limits how much weight it will lift.

A safety valve is there to manage forces caused by dynamic loads on the 3 pt hitch. Dynamic loads are happening as you drive over bumps and dips.

You need to evaluate your ballast box. If it does not go to the ground when lowered, it may be too high to protect you from side roll overs.

The center of gravity of the ballast box should be below the rear axle height.

Dave M7040