Garage heater

/ Garage heater #21  
I use propane heaters. A 30k mr heater torpedo works in my 24x24 but is loud.

Last winter I got a another heater that is a lot quieter and works well.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/dyna-glo-200-btu-lp-hrt-cov-2000-btu/prod16300076

I have a propane heater to permanently mount from a mobile home but haven’t got it done. And a wood stove to install.
I don’t want to give up the space required though.
Well we have a saying in the military, 2 is 1 and 1 is none so the more options you have the better equipped you are to handle any given situation.

/ Garage heater #22  
I have a nice big wood stove in my garage/workshop. Trouble is, you have a twenty minute job to do and you need to get a fire going a couple of hours before to heat all the mass up.

My situation as well. 24 x 24 garage/shop, not insulated and kind of drafty so it takes quite a while to warm up. No easy way to block off part of it. I plan winter projects so I have 3 or 4 hr worth of stuff to do to make heating it up worthwhile.
Would probably make more sense to get a torpedo heater myself, but I already had the stove and it's a good place to burn the junk wood (pine, spruce, etc) I wouldn't use in the house.

/ Garage heater #23  
My situation as well. 24 x 24 garage/shop, not insulated and kind of drafty so it takes quite a while to warm up. No easy way to block off part of it. I plan winter projects so I have 3 or 4 hr worth of stuff to do to make heating it up worthwhile.
Would probably make more sense to get a torpedo heater myself, but I already had the stove and it's a good place to burn the junk wood (pine, spruce, etc) I wouldn't use in the house.
it still makes sense to insulate the garage, it's saves on fuel, and adds comfort!..

/ Garage heater #24  
My garage is also not insulated. (Working on it). Truth is, many days I work with the door wide open with a fire on. Just having a source of heat helps fend off the chills, even if it's only psychological, that's all that really matters. That you don't feel cold.

/ Garage heater #25  
I built an attached garage when we lived in AK. Originally heated with a torpedo heater. Too loud - after a while the fumes would burn your eyes. Most everybody in Anchorage used natural gas - circulating hot water for heat. I ran a loop off the furnace and installed a hanging Modine forced air hot water heater. Thermostat mounted on the wall. It was GREAT. Kept the garage at 48F and would bring it up to 72F in about 15 minutes.

/ Garage heater #26  
I built an attached garage when we lived in AK. Originally heated with a torpedo heater. Too loud - after a while the fumes would burn your eyes. Most everybody in Anchorage used natural gas - circulating hot water for heat. I ran a loop off the furnace and installed a hanging Modine forced air hot water heater. Thermostat mounted on the wall. It was GREAT. Kept the garage at 48F and would bring it up to 72F in about 15 minutes.

Agreed. I have a (I would say medium sized) natural gas heater that is awesome. Heats a large shop up in minutes, no noticeable fumes, I can talk on the phone near it while it's running, and doesn't break the bank to run for lengths of time.

/ Garage heater #27  

I have a loop waiting for me to do this but I have to finish insulating the garage first and replacing the 17 foot garage door with an insulated one. For now I use a Dyna-Glo Pro K1 Heater at 70,000 btu....not too loud at all.

Last edited:
   / Garage heater #28  
anyone considering Propane should check the price in your area, it may come out too expensive compared to natural gas(cheapest). or other fuels. electric prices where I am are nuts!. 18 cents per KWh.. I didn't feel like paying $250 per month to heat a 1 car uninsulated garage. billed at 2 month intervals, it's $500!!.. the northeast has brutal prices!.

/ Garage heater #29  
I'm stuck for now heating with electrical, so I have two 1500w oil filled radiators on opposite side of the shop running at low medium. And then if I need to supplement, I put a tower heater near me to blow on me while I'm working.

/ Garage heater #30  
Problem is, in a cold environment, you need HUGE BTUs to make any air flow feel warm. Put a 4800watt construction heater in a cold room and you won't want that thing blowing on you.