Garage heater

/ Garage heater #41  
The VAL 6 Radiant heaters do not smell running Diesel at all.

I think I will try and refill the Rediheater with Diesel next time. It seems almost empty and I only ever use it to heat stuff up outdoors.

It is a pain, not to have a permanent warm shop though. Struggling to keep a fire going in my shop, on account, I'm messing with a hot water pressure washer I just got and afraid it will freeze. Supposed to be 5c today and now only 1! Typical forecast.

/ Garage heater #42  
The VAL 6 Radiant heaters do not smell running Diesel at all.

I think I will try and refill the Rediheater with Diesel next time. It seems almost empty and I only ever use it to heat stuff up outdoors.

It is a pain, not to have a permanent warm shop though. Struggling to keep a fire going in my shop, on account, I'm messing with a hot water pressure washer I just got and afraid it will freeze. Supposed to be 5c today and now only 1! Typical forecast.

Try mixing 50/50 kerosene and diesel should help with the cost and smell some.

/ Garage heater #43  
Thanks. I was actually just thinking of that.

/ Garage heater #44  
Problem is, in a cold environment, you need HUGE BTUs to make any air flow feel warm. Put a 4800watt construction heater in a cold room and you won't want that thing blowing on you.
Nah, the blow heater I use is also 1500w. It's just to put a little extra heat directly on me if I need it, I turn it on and off. My shop is a tandem 2 car garage, mainly heated by the 1500w radiator heaters I set up strategically.

/ Garage heater #45  
The little 1500 watt job, seem to put out heat because they don't move much air. A 4800 watt construction heater in a cold room almost feels cold.

/ Garage heater #46  
I was out in the shop the other day & fired-up the dual head "clamp-on" propane heater..
Off 1st was the jacket I was wearing.. & in less than 2hrs, I was wiping sweat from my brow.. lol

/ Garage heater #47  
I'm in the planning stage for a 28 x 54 insulated shop inside my 54 x 72 pole barn, in north central Iowa. Radiant floor heat is too expensive. I'm going with hanging propane heaters. Mr. Heater or Modine Hot Dawg. I'm leaning towards the Modine. All the Internet calculators size it to need 55k btu. I'm thinking of one 75k or two 45k units. Anybody have experience with using these?

The OP's torpedo's are NOT a good option to use. Noisy and stinky!!

/ Garage heater #48  
I'm in the planning stage for a 28 x 54 insulated shop inside my 54 x 72 pole barn, in north central Iowa. Radiant floor heat is too expensive. I'm going with hanging propane heaters. Mr. Heater or Modine Hot Dawg. I'm leaning towards the Modine. All the Internet calculators size it to need 55k btu. I'm thinking of one 75k or two 45k units. Anybody have experience with using these?

The OP's torpedo's are NOT a good option to use. Noisy and stinky!!

I sure agree about the torpedo heaters... noisy and stinky is right! My shop is 40 x 60 insulated. I bought a torpedo heater, used it once and put in away in a back corner, never to be fired up again.

It rarely gets what you'd call 'cold' here, but anything below 40* for me is cold. (I'm originally from Texas.) My solution is to not work out in the shop if at all possible below 40*. There are a few advantages of being retired. Now, in the summer, the insulated shop is very pleasant, normally 20* or so cooler than outside.

/ Garage heater #49  
I don't mind the noise of my torpedo heater that much, I run an online thermostat so it cycles on and off. What gets me is the price and limited access to kerosene. We used to have a gas station with a kerosene pump, but it's long gone. I can buy 5 gallon cans of it at the farm supply, but it amounts to $5 or so per gallon. If it's very cold you can burn 10 gallons a day. Pretty expensive heat.

/ Garage heater #50  
I just priced the Mr Heater at the Green Box store. The 80k unit lists for $468. Then I looked up the required 4" stainless vent kit. $345!!! WOW. Guess they REALLY like their (required) kits. Mr Heater is located in Cleveland. I could go to the store and look at the box, but does anyone know where they are made? I'm going have to look closer at the Modine one...