Tractor Sizing What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #31  
In the kubota offering I'd not consider something smaller than the mx series if I were in your position. No on ever said they bought too much tractor, but the inverse has been said a lot.

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #32  
From the OP’s original description of the land and work needed to be done I’d suggest looking at the equipment required and sizing the tractor to that. I would suggest that a small ripper be obtained. With dry hard soil ripping it prior to working will make life much easier. This applies to bucket work as well as land cultivation. The need for a backhoe may also be looked into.

[video]http://domries.com/Literature/flyers/RPL.pdf[/video]

Last edited:
   / What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #33  
The one thing I considered when buying was availability of parts. I have JD dealers all over the place and online too. I found in my area, the NH dealers are getting to be few and far and less of a presence online except for Messicks. Kubota, LS and Kioti, I know of one dealer each in about a 50 mile radius, but seems like they are expanding. I know a lot of people say the other cheap color tractors are great, but I've worked on a lot of used older stuff, and trying to chase down a part on a 10 or 20 year old tractor that wasn't a big seller can be very hard and expensive. If you can afford the down time then no big deal, but it seems nothing ever breaks when the tractor isn't be used for a project.

Jut my thought, but buy a used one of a name brand and you won't regret it. If you plan to only keep it a few years, it may not matter.

My 4410 with the AG tires with filled rears kicks butt. It will do everything you are asking of it and more. There are the newer series of it as well that has been out for awhile so should be available.

Either way, what ever you get , get the heavier framed tractors, and I always try to get the max HP in the series. Hydrostatic drives suck a lot of HP out of you, and I notice a huge difference between my 4410 (35 HP) and the 4210 (27 HP) just driving especially with hills. Same tractor basically, just less HP.

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #34  
I've got to be honest, $3000 to $4000 just isn't going to buy much. I'm not saying you can't get a decent tractor for that money it just may be older with a lot of hours on it, and it might be a gasser. A good used SCUT with an end loader will be a little more than that.

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #35  
I've got to be honest, $3000 to $4000 just isn't going to buy much. I'm not saying you can't get a decent tractor for that money it just may be older with a lot of hours on it, and it might be a gasser. A good used SCUT with an end loader will be a little more than that.

I believe he was saying they were $3,000 - $4,000 less than local.

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough #36  
When you buy out-of-state local warranty service is uncertain.

Tractor manufactures reimburse dealers for warranty work via pre-set reduced labor rates and pre-set reduced parts prices, so warranty work is only marginally profitable to dealers. Kubota electrical components ordered for repairs, warranty or non-warranty, cannot be returned for credit. Others probably the same.

Manufactures limit warranty transportation reimbursement.

Dealers prefer to have the cushion of $1,000 gross profit on a new compact tractor sale before commencing minimally profitable warranty repairs.

Some out-of-state buyers call national HQ to complain about indifferent reception for warranty work at near-home dealer but for national HQ this out-of-state complaint is an endlessly playing broken record. Dealers are independent businesses.

What value do you place on hassle-free new tractor warranty service?

I would like to see some data or hard facts on this. A reputable name like Kubota or JD would not put up with dealers not servicing their product. I can see the local jocal dealer not giving you donuts or putting you to the back of the line if you didnt buy from him, but not servicing it under warranty doubtful. Might be a few anecdotal I have a buddy stories, but doubt its widespread.

/ What horsepower and or weight tractor is enough
I recommend a tractor with a bare tractor weight of 3,000 to 4,000 pounds. New or used.

In Kubota economy tractors this would include Kubota L4701 (3,300 pounds) and Kubota MX series (3,700 pounds).

In Kubota deLuxe tractors this would include all of the 'Grand L' models.

Kubota tractors weighing 3,000 to 4,000 pounds bare have engines producing 37-hp to 62-hp.

I recommend shopping Korean tractor brands LS, Kioti and Branson in addition to Kubota, if dealers are near your property.

I noticed you edited your post to add these other brands, at first it was just Kubota. Is there any reason you dont recommend massey, new holland, case, John deere, mahindra or any others?

In the kubota offering I'd not consider something smaller than the mx series if I were in your position. No on ever said they bought too much tractor, but the inverse has been said a lot.

:thumbsup: Taking a look at some Kubotas and the mx4800 is one of them.

From the OP’s original description of the land and work needed to be done I’d suggest looking at the equipment required and sizing the tractor to that. I would suggest that a small ripper be obtained. With dry hard soil ripping it prior to working will make life much easier. This applies to bucket work as well as land cultivation. The need for a backhoe may also be looked into.

[video]http://domries.com/Literature/flyers/RPL.pdf[/video]

Nice, that company is out of Madera too which is close. Is that thing too much for a heavier 35-40hp compact to handle?