Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?)

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #31  
   / Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #32  
I have seen so much information both ways on Tire IV Final that I find it difficult to believe much of what is said by either camp. Last year my choice was a clean used tractor. because of that. No regen worries here:)

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #33  
Not so fast. I call "shenanigans" to their claim. Lots of opinionated folks come and go on here, with very little to no hard factual data to back up some rather wild claims. You don't really think *any* tractor manufacturer is going to put out hp claims that can be easily proven false do you? No one will, not any "color" tractor wants that kind of bad publicity.

Any time you see a "wild claim" like this, with no attempt to provide hard proof...

Well, feel free to ignore it at your leisure.

This is the internet afterall.

Yep... It's the internet.... it HAS to be true.

And yet again, more sage advice.

More than anyone else here, Slowpoke Slim can actually confirm that the claimed derate makes no sense at all.

He is the one that took the emissions stuff out of his 35HP Branson and replaced with a regular muffler.

If that derate theory was true, he would have 45 HP now? :laughing:

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #34  
Not so fast. I call "shenanigans" to their claim. Lots of opinionated folks come and go on here, with very little to no hard factual data to back up some rather wild claims. You don't really think *any* tractor manufacturer is going to put out hp claims that can be easily proven false do you? No one will, not any "color" tractor wants that kind of bad publicity.

Any time you see a "wild claim" like this, with no attempt to provide hard proof...

Well, feel free to ignore it at your leisure.

This is the internet afterall.

Dont know if its true or not. I did notice when i was looking at similar HP/PTO HP and weight range to the old JD 1070 i did have to a new MF 1735M the PTO HP was significantly lower on the MF. The the point where i am not considering it anymore cause im not sure it can properly handle a 6' mower. Even a new MF 1739e doesnt compare equally to the 1070 "claimed". There seems to be a significant loss to the PTO HP on the newer ones in my very limited research and knowledge.

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #35  
Easy now guys. There are pages and pages and pages of posts on here from owners that have replaced older tractors with new Tier IV tractors and noticed the power loss.

For me it's proven in larger HP variations. We replaced a 255HP pre DEF machine with a 255HP DEF machine and have noticed considerable loss. When I questioned this loss the manufacturer said the HP is calculated before the emissions equipment. This machine makes no exhaust noise at all. Everyone that is around it when working comments on how quiet it is. HP is lost during that process. There's no escaping that.

So let's not start name calling and spatting like little kids over this. Let's just look at the fact that emissions eat HP. This happens in all types of engines. It's also one reason we continually see larger HP engines being produced to do the same tasks as smaller ones used to. If not properly managed, some systems will actually detune their engine during Regen. Again, there are pages and pages and pages of posts about this.

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #36  
I have seen so much information both ways on Tire IV Final that I find it difficult to believe much of what is said by either camp. Last year my choice was a clean used tractor. because of that. No regen worries here:)

DITTO !

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #37  
I have an older 28 hp mahindra and a new 38 hp mahindra there is a big difference in power. my 28 hp tractor would struggle with a 6 ft tiller and mower while the 38 hp runs them easily.

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #38  
Engines are designed for specific purposes and rated accordingly. Fuel consumption, power, emissions, etc. are based on the design criteria, in this debate, RPM. I'm no engineer, but I would guess that operating outside the design range will vary the emissions. A slow lugging engine (although it may not seen to the driver) will undoubtedly contribute to excessive emissions.

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #39  
Many people are fooled into believing that a loud machine is faster or more powerful. I want to see dyno numbers!

/ Need to buy a tractor - concerned about emissions stuff (sacrifice hp?) #40  
I agree.

Baseless accusations and amusing anecdotal "stories" don't mean Bupkiss.

Provide proof of your claims or set them aside.

It would have to be the best "worst kept" secret of the modern tractor industry that manufacturers were deliberately sand bagging hp ratings for sales purposes.

Hogswallop.

Show us the dyno proof. Show us the reputable, definitive, expert vetted proof of this.

It would set the whole industry on it's ear.

Never happened.