Over Confidence and Power Tools.

/ Over Confidence and Power Tools. #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Hi;
Ive been using power tools since in my early teens-a long time. Last weekend I decided to replace a deck handrail because it warped out of place by 8 inches at one end. Once I removed the old one I cut to length a new piece and mounted it with one deck screw.

I realized my cut was a little off centered at the opposite and so I grabbed my M18 Milwaukee saw and tried to edge it just right. The cut was being done in an awkward position. Thats when it happened....

My left fingers got too close to the blade at the end of the cut and I could feel the blade teeth dig into my finger tips. As a result of the pain at the same time I nearly bit my tongue off. Blood started spurting out and I held it above my heart. Eventually I stopped the bleeding and decided not to go to the emergency room. I just put a bandage over it.

So now three days later its still healing but my tongue feels like Im chewing razer blades. My lesson is dont take short cuts-it would have only taken another minute to remove the one screw and make the cut properly on a stand.

Its gonna take a while before Im back to my normal self I think.....all because I wanted to save one **** minute. I could have cut my fingers completely off....

/ Over Confidence and Power Tools. #2  
We live in an ERA where slow and easy, just doesn't exist any more. It's all got to get done by yesterday.

Terrible, when one minute all is relatively well, and the next, not so much. I find it hard to concentrate on a task at hand. Last thing I did to sustain injury was using old deck screws for a temporary project and an old Robertson (square) bit. Pushed on it with all my weight, to compensate for the wear. Slipped off, only to find my thumb resting on the wood right there to take the hit! The pain, just about made me faint!

/ Over Confidence and Power Tools. #3  
Good lesson for all. Thank you for sharing it. I think working when tired and anxious to complete the task comes into play far too often, too.

/ Over Confidence and Power Tools. #5  
yes, thanks for the reminders, and to also pay attention to distractions.
Cut part of my finger off with a hedge trimmer when the neighbor kids came rolling though my yard. Didn't even feel it. Was reattached, but for a while there, it was pretty scary.

/ Over Confidence and Power Tools. #6  
" Eventually I stopped the bleeding and decided not to go to the emergency room. I just put a bandage over it." you're kidding right??..

/ Over Confidence and Power Tools. #8  
Those close calls and injury's that do not require an ER visit has always made me think about safety a little harder and longer...

Wish you a speedy and full recovery.

I have always said since a teenager what a math teacher told me:

"Experience is the best teacher as long as it doesn't kill you first" and I do like all of my second chances.

KC

/ Over Confidence and Power Tools.
" Eventually I stopped the bleeding and decided not to go to the emergency room. I just put a bandage over it." you're kidding right??..

I wish I was, for some reason I was more afraid of going to the emergency room and catching COVID at the time. probably shock? Its doing ok, neosporin every day and new bandages every evening. Doesnt hurt 98% of the time and I still have feeling in the finger tip....but my tongue still bother me alot....today its better.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

/ Over Confidence and Power Tools. #10  
The doctor you get makes all the difference. I cut off the tip of a finger a few years back and had the fortune of getting the greatest, compassionate doctor possible. First time in my life, that I didn't feel the freezing needle, and he took great care to fix the finger tip almost as good as new. Too bad, going to ER is such a crap shoot. I have had kids working there as doctors where I suggested the course of action.