Torque Multiplier

/ Torque Multiplier #21  
Should be able to buy a multiplier on eBay at a decent price, haven't used my Proto for quite some time, not since cordless impact wrenches came out, some 1/2 inch cordless goes to 1200 ft.lbs.
My Proto 6202A goes to just 750,3/4 drive on the output 1/2 drive on the input 227 in 750 out, but these multipliers can be dangerous if the bar that slips in the multiplier to hold it in place slips, it can break a leg or an arm.

/ Torque Multiplier #22  
Interesting experiences for you. I have seen the opposite. I have broken lug bolts off when using a breaker bar. Frustrated, on the same wheel, I took the time to get my impact wrench. Got the rest off without breaking another and didn't grunt or sweat either.
Well considering I have seen it go both ways, if you have seen the opposite of me then you have seen it go both ways too :D I only talked about the "impact for everything case" as there were a few people saying impact is the solution to pretty much everything. Impact is almost always my first tool of choice for anything like lugs or suspension and brakes, as the combo of vibration, impact and pure torque often solves the stuck fastener issue. When it works, which is the vast majority of times, it is fast and easy. But I have done impact on things that would not budge also, but the breaker bar did it, slow and steady. The most common case is if there is compliance in the system like some rubber bits or somewhat more flexible steel stampings. I suspect they dampen the vibrations enough to kill the effect of the impact, but a slow heavy pull will move them. The infamous Honda crank pulley bolt is another one.

/ Torque Multiplier #23  
I just don't understand why anyone needs that much torque, the last time I needed that much torque was taking bolts loose on undercarriage bolts on a D9 dozer

/ Torque Multiplier #24  
I just don't understand why anyone needs that much torque, the last time I needed that much torque was taking bolts loose on undercarriage bolts on a D9 dozer
Most I've run across is the nut (1 1/4"?) on my 6' RC's stump jumper. I've got a 1,200 lb-ft impact and it took all that to break that nut loose. Tightening specs is, I believe, something like 450 lb-ft.

I've been successful in loosening stuck stuff by first trying to tighten. Not very often that this trick needs to be used, but it is another possible solution.

/ Torque Multiplier #25  
Little heat from even a propane torch always helps but like I said before, I just use a larger impact wrench. My 1" drive makes 3500 pounds feet of impact torque. If it don't break the nut, it twists it off. I haven't met one yet that it won't break and that includes the pivot bolts on my bat wing shredder. Of course you need a real air compressor to power it. I have 30CFM @ 175 psi available.

/ Torque Multiplier #26  
Little heat from even a propane torch always helps but like I said before, I just use a larger impact wrench. My 1" drive makes 3500 pounds feet of impact torque. If it don't break the nut, it twists it off. I haven't met one yet that it won't break and that includes the pivot bolts on my bat wing shredder. Of course you need a real air compressor to power it. I have 30CFM @ 175 psi available.
And that kind of torque could twist your wrist off!:eek: A cautionary note to be sure to brace yourself when using an impact.

/ Torque Multiplier #27  
And that kind of torque could twist your wrist off!:eek: A cautionary note to be sure to brace yourself when using an impact.
Not really, the big one weighs about 45 pounds and has a 'D' handle the heaver the impact is, the less felt twist it imparts, just like a heavy rifle imparts less recoil. My little 1/2" drive IR don't even torque twist much and it's capable of 1250 foot pounds in reverse (removal torque) The 3/4 and 1" impacts also have side handle air inlets so the hose absorbs some of the twist torque as well.

In my opinion, nothing beats an IR professional impact wrench. They are expensive but quality built.

Mine are all at least 20 years old and never an issue and you can lubricate them they all have recessed grease ports and a little air tool oil in the inlet too.

/ Torque Multiplier #28  
We typically put flywheel gland nut on VW race engines at anywhere from 350 to 500ft-lbs.... Can be a real nasty job to remove after it's been on for a while.... And by the way a stock flywheel gland nut is typically 260ft-lbs (factory spec) ... The torque multiplier (my 4:1) is great when you only have to push torque wrench to 65ft-lbs to meet stock specs...

And then there is rear axle nut on VW beetle... Factor specs 217ft-lbs.... Again 4:1 multiplier.... 54.5ft-lbs applied at torque wrench meets specs...

Last edited:
   / Torque Multiplier #29  
Interesting experiences for you. I have seen the opposite. I have broken lug bolts off when using a breaker bar. Frustrated, on the same wheel, I took the time to get my impact wrench. Got the rest off without breaking another and didn't grunt or sweat either.

He gave an example where steady pressure will get results where a hammer effect of an impact may not. Note his example was one of a press fit. Your example is one where constant pressure is not recommended. Both methods can work, typically different situations. Unfortunately both methods can result in broken bolts/studs. Another method that often works is to loosen then tighten in small increments. Unfortunately bolts break this way also.

/ Torque Multiplier #30  
My Proto 6202A goes to just 750,3/4 drive on the output 1/2 drive on the input 227 in 750 out, but these multipliers can be dangerous if the bar that slips in the multiplier to hold it in place slips, it can break a leg or an arm.
Yeah.... But is it calibrated for tightening a nut/bolt..... Multiplier and torque wrench is more accurate than numbers printed in "poop" sheet that comes with impact tool.....

Don't understand your comment about "bar that slips in the multiplier", because mine has a pin lock to keep bar from detaching from gear head... And only place in this whole discussion it make sense to use pipe extension if bar is to short for a positive rotational stop of gear head....

Last edited: