Torque Multiplier

/ Torque Multiplier
Fun fact is the OP just asked for a torque multiplier, without giving any details of why he need it in the first place, which is not needed anyway. As far as I know, an impact may not even work for the OP's situation or he simply wants to torque something a bit more carefully than just slam an impact on everything.
Torque specs on my shredder blades are 600 ft. lbs. If they care enough to put that on the equipment, I care enough to follow it. Thanks, Robert.

/ Torque Multiplier #32  
I have on occasion had luck when using an impact wrench not quite big enough for the task on hand-by swatting the impact socket with a 4# mini-sledge hammer while hammering on the fastener.
Actually on quite a few occasions-really!

/ Torque Multiplier #33  
Most I've run across is the nut (1 1/4"?) on my 6' RC's stump jumper. I've got a 1,200 lb-ft impact and it took all that to break that nut loose. Tightening specs is, I believe, something like 450 lb-ft.

I've been successful in loosening stuck stuff by first trying to tighten. Not very often that this trick needs to be used, but it is another possible solution.
In most cases a nut like that once it's off should be replaced and don't forget the anti-seize on the nut and what ever it attaches to.

/ Torque Multiplier #34  
Does anyone have a reasonable source for a torque multiplier with a 750 ft. lb. rating?

Thanks, Robert

I bought mine from Auto Zone, it is a 3:1 multiplier with a 3/4" drive input and 1" drive output. I believe it is rated for a little more than 2000 ft-lb torque output. It was also not made in China. I got it and use it to tighten fasteners on my rotary cutter as the manual specifically said to do it that way, and it does indeed work well.

/ Torque Multiplier #35  
We typically put flywheel gland nut on VW race engines at anywhere from 350 to 500ft-lbs.... Can be a real nasty job to remove after it's been on for a while.... And by the way a stock flywheel gland nut is typically 260ft-lbs (factory spec) ... The torque multiplier (my 4:1) is great when you only have to push torque wrench to 65ft-lbs to meet stock specs...

And then there is rear axle nut on VW beetle... Factor specs 217ft-lbs.... Again 4:1 multiplier.... 54.5ft-lbs applied at torque wrench meets specs...
LOL, reminds me of my then teen son when he drove a beetle and tinkered on it.
Got a call that his left wheel fell off one day.
Yep, he did not torque the wheel nut to specs and naturally popped the clutch once to often.
We re installed that wheel while still on the street.

/ Torque Multiplier #36  
LOL, reminds me of my then teen son when he drove a beetle and tinkered on it.
Got a call that his left wheel fell off one day.
Yep, he did not torque the wheel nut to specs and naturally popped the clutch once to often.
We re installed that wheel while still on the street.
Yeah... Usually lose axle nut on VW causes the splines to be spun right out of brake drum... If it did not damage splines he got lucky...