Really good pancake and waffle syrup.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #21  
Panik said, "On a note entirely unrelated to maple syrup, but I miss the heck out of being able to get piloncillo to put in my coffee."

Lived in latin america several times and liked the piloncillo so much in the coffee that we still buy it here in the states. Also, Abuelitas chocolate grated on frothed milk on top of the coffee.

Original posters recipe for syrup is a good one, very close to one we used to use. I'm now in the dark maple syrup camp.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #22  
I like good maple syrup but for pancakes I use a recipe similar to what my Mom made for us kids when we were growing up. We were poor and maple syrup was a real luxury for us but I liked the home made stuff better. When we serve guests pancakes we offer them maple syrup along with my stuff and they usually prefer my stuff.
OK, here's the recipe:
2 piloncillo cones
2 Tbs plus 1/3 cup water
2 Tsp vanilla
1/8 Tsp ground cloves
Put the piloncillo cones and the water in a small pot and cover. Cook over low heat checking every few minutes to see if the piloncillo has dissolved completely. When completely dissolved remove from heat and let cool a bit, then add the vanilla and the cloves. Stir and enjoy.

Piloncillo has a good molasses taste along with other good flavors that some folks find too strong. If you are one of these people a very good but milder version can be made with brown sugar. To use brown sugar use 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and 3/4 cup water.

Notes:
Piloncillo is a version of Mexican brown sugar. It usually comes in truncated cones that are a standard size.
I have found that cheap vanilla and imitation vanilla flavoring both to be not worth buying. Good vanilla is expensive but since not much is used per recipe the cost per use is insignificant. So I suggest just using the good stuff in the above recipe. It just tastes so much better.
what size are the cones? i am seeing from 8oz to 16oz.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup.
what size are the cones? i am seeing from 8oz to 16oz.
All I have ever seen in Washington, Oregon, and California are the 8 ounce cones. I was not even aware that they came in larger sizes, thanks for posting that. OK, I just weighed a few in my pantry and they all weigh 200 grams, so closer to 7 ounces. If you make some syrup please let me know if you like it.
Eric

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #24  
I'll only use real maple syrup on my pancakes or french toast. The rich dark kind.

We also put some vanilla extract in our pancake mix.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #25  
We have been putting a healthy scoop of either cooked squash or mashed potatoes in our pancake mix and stir it in good. Nice and cakey pancakes.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #27  
Living in the northern hardwoods with 5 different maple tree varieties and of course, the sugar ones, why would someone not eat real maple syrup? :unsure:

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #28  
Living in the northern hardwoods with 5 different maple tree varieties and of course, the sugar ones, why would someone not eat real maple syrup? :unsure:
Cost probably more than anything.

20oz corn syrup based stuff from the store is like $1.99.

Same amount of maple probably run you $8-$10

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #29  
We have really good maple syrup available in the country.. But pricy, as it is mostly all the way across the country from here....

We use 4 liter bulk "pancake syrup" for most things.. One of my favorite ways to use this is to warm it well with an equal amount of melted butter mixed in..

This stores easily in a dish in the fridge.. Use a scoop on a slice of whole wheat toast well melted and hot ..

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #30  
Yuck! Molasses just doesn't do it for me. Tastes like ocean tar. Maple syrup/flavor all the way. But, I no longer have pancakes. When "they" did away with the Aunt Jamima brand mix, I quit buying it. Yep, and I don't watch football or baseball any more either. 😏

I still can't believe they changed the name of Aunt Jemima! (founded in 1889)
I still buy it because bisquick tastes terrible... lol