Home weather station suggestions

/ Home weather station suggestions #81  
I haven't had "connection" issues at all with the indoor unit - ever. My problem is/was keeping it connected to the net / my phone. I had it connected a couple of times on the internet, but then it stopped working. Admit to being challenged on turning off 5G part of the router, if that was an issue or not, dont know. I am on Wifi internet which may also be the issue ? Otherwise, No problems.
It may very well be a 5G issue, not sure because of the way I've hooked up. I have the unit talking to one of our 2G only repeater units I have out in the front porch & around the property so I can get signal when I'm out working. No cell signal from any carrier available.

/ Home weather station suggestions
I just bought an Ambient Weather WS-2000 off the Ambient Weather website. They're running a special today for $239, seems like a quality unit at a price point I could warrant. Merry Christmas to me!

/ Home weather station suggestions #83  
Congratulations! I hope that you have fun with your new Christmas present.

All the best,

Peter

/ Home weather station suggestions #84  
As a meteorologist and general weather nut, the truth is that there are 3 categories of weather station.

You have ALL of the box store type stations grouped into one category. Ambient, Oregon Scientific, Accurite, all of them. Doesn't matter if they're $50 or $250. They all use the same grade of sensors, communications, and power type. Your temp readings will be inaccurate on sunny days or if you mount it too close to the house. Your wind readings will be too low because you can't mount the anemometer separately. You'll likely need to change batteries often. Transmission range will be weak. And you will be very lucky to get 5 years of service out of the unit.

Then you have Davis Instruments. Their Vantage Pro 2 system is a huge upgrade. Typically $500 and up depending on options but WELL worth it. High quality temp/hum sensors. Fan aspiration to keep readings spot on even in summer heat. Very long transmission range. Batteries last years. Tons of upgrades and options (soil moisture, UV sensors, radio repeaters, mesh systems together, etc.). These stations will also last 20+ years. The performance will be very very close to official mesonet sites.

Then you've got scientific grade/official stations. These are the ones universities use, as well as government agencies like NWS, etc. You're talking way out of budget for a home owner. Not to mention station maintenance costs.

I personally rock the Davis VP2 with 24 hour FARS and LOVE it.

/ Home weather station suggestions #85  
As a meteorologist and general weather nut, the truth is that there are 3 categories of weather station.

You have ALL of the box store type stations grouped into one category. Ambient, Oregon Scientific, Accurite, all of them. Doesn't matter if they're $50 or $250. They all use the same grade of sensors, communications, and power type. Your temp readings will be inaccurate on sunny days or if you mount it too close to the house. Your wind readings will be too low because you can't mount the anemometer separately. You'll likely need to change batteries often. Transmission range will be weak. And you will be very lucky to get 5 years of service out of the unit.

Then you have Davis Instruments. Their Vantage Pro 2 system is a huge upgrade. Typically $500 and up depending on options but WELL worth it. High quality temp/hum sensors. Fan aspiration to keep readings spot on even in summer heat. Very long transmission range. Batteries last years. Tons of upgrades and options (soil moisture, UV sensors, radio repeaters, mesh systems together, etc.). These stations will also last 20+ years. The performance will be very very close to official mesonet sites.

Then you've got scientific grade/official stations. These are the ones universities use, as well as government agencies like NWS, etc. You're talking way out of budget for a home owner. Not to mention station maintenance costs.

I personally rock the Davis VP2 with 24 hour FARS and LOVE it.
Been considering a Davis to replace my Ambient. Can you comment on how easy it is to connect to the web / computer / iphone ? I have not been able to get a manual to determine the steps and would like to know more about it. Also, I have an existing pole, do you know what the size/s can be to mount the unit ?

1671023929436.png
I am slightly confused about the mounting. Why would the rain gauge be so close to the pole? Seems if the rain was falling from the opposite side, it might block some/interfere?

/ Home weather station suggestions #87  
I also have a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless station. It's been in continuous operation for over 15 years with little maintenance. One of the reasons I chose the Davis station was it's ability to use repeaters to transmit data over considerable distances. I have the sensor array mounted on a pedestal on top of a hill 1/4 mile from the house.

P1080036.JPG

The anemometer can be located separately from the other sensors but I have both mounted on the same pole. I compare rain data with a NOAA approved analog rain gauge and have not noted any significant difference in readings.

/ Home weather station suggestions #88  
My home weather station has quit working and I'm looking to replace it. My original was just a cheap-ish Accurite. Without going all out with a professional model, does anyone have a recommendation for a decent one?

I don't mind spending some money (up to maybe $300) if it will last a while.
I love my Davis Vantage Vue Weather station and console. I also have it connected to the Internet so I can always check the weather even if I wam away from the house!

/ Home weather station suggestions #89  
I also have a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless station. It's been in continuous operation for over 15 years with little maintenance. One of the reasons I chose the Davis station was it's ability to use repeaters to transmit data over considerable distances. I have the sensor array mounted on a pedestal on top of a hill 1/4 mile from the house.

View attachment 774577

The anemometer can be located separately from the other sensors but I have both mounted on the same pole. I compare rain data with a NOAA approved analog rain gauge and have not noted any significant difference in readings.
Which brings up a point -
For those of you who have stations "remotely" what is the mortality rate from hunters?
For example in my Mississippi area we've had troubles with lot's of fiber taps being shot.
Do the hunters do the same in your area?

I'd like to put a station up on top of a hill I own. Out of sight from my residence but not from hunters, but I figure 1 round would destroy it.
/edit but it would be within wifi range.

/ Home weather station suggestions #90  
Which brings up a point -
For those of you who have stations "remotely" what is the mortality rate from hunters?
For example in my Mississippi area we've had troubles with lot's of fiber taps being shot.
Do the hunters do the same in your area?

I'd like to put a station up on top of a hill I own. Out of sight from my residence but not from hunters, but I figure 1 round would destroy it.
/edit but it would be within wifi range.
So far, so good here, but I would observe that over the years vandalism seems to go in waves of popularity, both in frequency, and for certain targets, such as mailboxes, certain signs... My Davis Vantage is out of sight, about 600' away, but visible from many locations.

My neighbor has a number of cellular game cams on his property, and he has picked up photos of all sorts of poachers. My favorite photo being the guy standing in the driveway, next to a car with the license plate visible, with a pistol with an obvious silencer on it. (Yes, that photo got turned over to the deputies.) They had a SWAT team out for one group, including a helicopter hazing them and keeping them lit up for over an hour.

So, YMMV...

All the best,

Peter