Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas?

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas?
Never heard of oil going bad, as long as it’s in a sealed container.
I have filled my tanks 100% full with ethanol free fuel mix for long periods of time and they start right up.

But what would I know, I only been in property maintenance and farming for 20+ years.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #132  
Oil in the gasoline goes bad.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #133  
Watched a very good arborist that has all the latest goodies.... Has the little Stihl 12inch(?) one hand electric the cost in neighborhood of $800 and it stalled out 2-3 time in 5 inch limb.... Have really old Homelite 12 inch gas saw that cut circles around the Stihl..... Not going 'lectric until I can no longer buy gas saw in Kalifornia... Going to keep the old polluters running as long as I can...

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #134  
Last edited:
   / Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas?
Watched a very good arborist that has all the latest goodies.... Has the little Stihl 12inch(?) one hand electric the cost in neighborhood of $800 and it stalled out 2-3 time in 5 inch limb.... Have really old Homelite 12 inch gas saw that cut circles around the Stihl..... Not going 'lectric until I can no longer buy gas saw in Kalifornia... Going to keep the old polluters running as long as I can...
Some are starting to believe the craze has peaked and reality is setting in. Small gas engines work harder & faster than electric battery counterparts.

Until there’s a significant breakthrough in battery output (and there very well could be one) gas versions of chainsaws, blowers, weed whackers, etc are still the only choice for continuous use, commercial duty applications.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #136  
When I'm cleaning up storm damage with the wood chipper I have the Makita electric 12" chainsaw with me. It starts easier than gas and makes short work of trimming the kinks out of branches that don't fit in a 6" hole.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #137  
We have both. Gas chainsaw and weed whacker are both Stilhl with a gas can and full tool kit.
The electric are Makita. The chainsaw is 36 volt dual battery14". Each has a spare pair of batteries.

Both are equally handy but for different jobs. If either will do the job, I use the battery powered.

rScotty

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #138  
During Christmas at the tree farm the gas Stihl saw was started maybe 200 times on the busiest selling days making fresh cuts...

Replaced 3 gas Stihl with one electric and two AP batteries and not going back...

15 second cuts starting and restarting is hard service every few minutes... needed 3 gas saws to insure at least one was ready through out the day...

The electric just keeps quietly going often same battery for 12 hour day...

As others have said gas and electric often compliment each other.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #139  
I've been on the Ryobi 40 volt train with a couple chainsaws, weed Wacker, and hedge trimmers. Still have all my gas gear, but haven't used them. I have about 6 acres so lots of trimming and pruning.
I guess the idea is to stick with a brand you like so you can maximize your batteries.
I'm not sure about compatibility with other 40 volt batteries. Does anyone know if all 40 volt lithium battery packs are interchangeable? For example, does a Swift 40volt battery fit a Ryobi 40 volt tool and vice versa?
There's some out there, for example the Greenworks 80V batteries fit in the Kobalt 80V tools, but it's not a guarantee.

This is where I landed. I still have my electric tools, but they are NOT a replacement for continuous or commercial use (like a weed wacker or chain saw). There’s no practical way to keep charging batteries all day, although I do have a DeWalt vehicle charger and multiple 9/12 amp hour batteries, it’s too difficult to keep charging them. Refueling is much faster than recharging.

I think a blower might be a little closer to gas. I find I only use a blower for 10-15 minutes (unless it’s fall and we are blowing leaves for hours). My DeWalt blower broke and I have not replaced it.

I find on the chainsaws, the torque and speed just isn’t there yet. It’s really not even close for continuous work. I bet future breakthroughs close the gap more, but when and how many more previous models will have to be thrown away until parody is achieved between them
I have an 80 volt Kobalt powerhead (came with weed eater, works with pretty much everybody's flavor of quick disconnect attachments), it does pretty good, we took down an 80 foot maple that had a bad lean from a storm and one two amp hour battery on that was enough to limb the whole tree out using the chainsaw attachment (just cutting the limbs off the tree so they could be dragged over to the burn pile).
As others have said gas and electric often compliment each other.
Exactly, we have electric saws, we also have a few gas Stihls, the electric saw will do most anything we want for limbing, but it won't replace the Farm Boss with the 18-20 inch bar on it.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #140  
I've got three year old ethanol free gas, with some Stabil added, in fuel cans in the barn right now. It runs fine. Also some in a collector tractor, some in my high dollar pressure washer and some in gas chain saws and assorted maintenance tools. All of them have been started this year and zero problems.

When I used ethanol gas, 10% and with Stabile added, I ruined a generator, ruined a Mantis tiller, some maintenance tools and had the rubber rot some rubber fuel lines on older equipment. Very expensive and troublesome.

I don't care what the philosophical explanation is and only care that ethanol fuel ruins my equipment and costs me money and ethanol free gas does not. :)