Pouring steps down to the creek/swimming hole...nope, never done it before!

/ Pouring steps down to the creek/swimming hole...nope, never done it before!
Testing...testing....after 1.25" of rain in 24 hrs:

IMG_20230803_160922163.jpg

IMG_20230803_160900643.jpg

IMG_20230803_160730812.jpg

The first two pics are the staircase behind the Weir at the 'Dam'. There is basically zero current hitting it.

The last pic of the one by the pigs is not getting the full force of water, but it is getting some. Curious to see what the base of each looks like when this goes down, which will take a day or two of no rain.

I will try an upload a video....

VID_20230803_160741296.mp4

Last edited:
   / Pouring steps down to the creek/swimming hole...nope, never done it before! #114  
Someone else suggested it earlier in the thread, but it would be a good idea to add some rip rap along the stairs to divert the full force of the water away.

Someone else suggested it earlier in the thread, but it would be a good idea to add some rip rap along the stairs to divert the full force of the water away.
Agree, I did move some smaller stuff, filling in along the bases and pad. I will have to go get some from areas of the bank that have an excess and move it to the staircases. Picking up the tractor today after front axle bearing replacements, it will be good to have the hydraulic wheelbarrow back:cool:

/ Pouring steps down to the creek/swimming hole...nope, never done it before! #116  
I had to move some large rocks last year. There are some youtube videos on how to use straps to move large rocks for pond landscaping. They do a better job than I ever could of explaining how they do it. Would save you a lot of effort if you aren't already familiar with it.

/ Pouring steps down to the creek/swimming hole...nope, never done it before! #117  
Make sure to place riprap on the down stream side of stairs. This is commonly forgotten and can lead to failure

/ Pouring steps down to the creek/swimming hole...nope, never done it before! #118  
Last year, we had a bank erosion project completed on our creek that runs through the property. 300' of fabric and 120 tons of rip rap. In the summer, the water is low, and the creek is about 7-8' down from the pasture. So, with the angle of the rip rap bank, I need about 12' of steps. Trying to walk/crawl down to the creek right now is hazardous, but necessary if you are going to take a dip in the swimming hole. Flooding in spring can be 2' over the banks and completely cover my pasture out to the paved road. For this reason, wooden steps will not work.
Speed Test
Since I have never done this before, I Youtubed it, and now am a confident (cough)expert. Stair tread/rise calculations hurt my head, so I keep a 4' HomeDepot pre-cut Stringer handy as a template. I bought 4-12' 2x12x12 boards and marked out the risers and treads.

IMG_20230718_155649057_rjVJRNZQhHmSHh1a1ksPdP.jpg

So, put 2x8 risers on the Stringers 2' apart(width of stairwell), drag it down to the creek and find a suitable spot to set it on top of the rip rap. I figure a 3x3 top and lower pad all tied together with some re-bar.

Will take new pics of the creek and proposed stair location......stand-by.

What could go wrong pouring 24 steps??
It still scours. Unless it's bolted to bedrock or on deep pilings, if the water comes fast enough long enough, it washes out.

Last edited:
   / Pouring steps down to the creek/swimming hole...nope, never done it before! #119  
17456.jpeg

Motley Crew:
17435.jpeg

17455.jpg
Looks like Band of Brothers!

Postcard perfect picture…

Some day hope to explore visiting friends that have relocated to TN… they all love it!

Last edited:
   / Pouring steps down to the creek/swimming hole...nope, never done it before! #120  
Tennessee is a gorgeous state, in someways like cali, without all the fruit n nuts!