Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass?

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #1  

Hexa Fox

Silver Member
Tractor
Wishing
Hey guys,

So I did create a post about this before. At that time I did not have all information. So there is a neighbor that lives nearby that said he may be interested in selling his Ford 1700. So the tractor has about 2,300 hours on it and he has about ten implements with it. It is also not 4WD and I think you guys would agree that if it does not need new tires now it will soon. As you can see right now it is safe and sound in his garage but he never runs it and to my knowledge hasn't since he inherited it a couple years ago.

A major reason I did not want to purchase it at the time is I did not and still do not have an indoor shelter to store it. So I hate the idea of purchasing a tractor and immediately storing it outside under a tarp. However, it not being ran and just sitting may be even more of a problem. I am no diesel or tractor expert but the first time I saw it he started it and it sounded pretty good. I did not check blow-by or anything. Having that said, he tried starting it again for me earlier this year and it would not start. Very confident that is the battery.

There is a whole lot going on where I live and there is definitely some opportunity. For instance, my other neighbor has this snow plow and post hole digger (not pictured) that he said I can have if I can move it. It is not as easy as it sounds because it is on a hill going down to the river and there is no easy access. It may already be gone because it is halfway onto the neighbors lawn and I know they both wanted it gone. I also have been wanting something to help me with some small tasks around the house but to be honest I would be purchasing this tractor for no reason in particular right now. I mow a lot as a side business and would like something that could brush hog but I don't even think my trailer could hold this tractor. I would like to reclaim my garden, eventually put up some new fence so it may be nice to not let this opportunity pass by. To be clear, there are many more implements I would be getting.

So this blade/snow plow is independent from front end loader arms correct? As in it may be fully functional on the Ford 1700? I'm sure some of you remember me getting rid of the Ford 1210 that belonged to the neighbor. He said he thought that plow would work with his tractor but it was for a larger machine. So I was just thinking it may be perfect for the 1700. Again he said he would seriously consider selling it to me if I wanted it and he said he thinks we would be around $3,200 but he made it clear that he was uncertain until he did more research and we spoke more. We both just kind of stopped talking about it and left it alone. So before this becomes a literal novel I will leave it like this. I think if I put any money into it, I would change the fluids/filters out, possibly new tires soon after getting it and maybe even pallet forks and rear scoop for the 3 point. I think someone one here told me to forget about a FEL because if these tractors had a weak point it would be the front axle. So I was thinking after all said and done I could have a very capable little tractor for around $5,000 with lots and lots of implements. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpeg
    IMG_1741.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1782.jpeg
    IMG_1782.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1781.jpeg
    IMG_1781.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1751.jpeg
    IMG_1751.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1750.jpeg
    IMG_1750.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1749.jpeg
    IMG_1749.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1747.jpeg
    IMG_1747.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1743.jpeg
    IMG_1743.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1742.jpeg
    IMG_1742.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 157
   / Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #2  
Good Morning. I had a Ford 1700 4WD just like the one you are considering. Bought it brand new - i982. Paid $9400 for it then. Sold it on a trade in - 2009 - got $8500 for it at that time. That's 27 years @ $900.

Mine had R-1 tires and the rears were fluid filled. A great tractor. No problems in that 27 years. Had 1600 hours when I traded it in.

I traded for a brand new 2009 Kubota M6040. Needed a bigger tractor. All my smaller projects were complete. Wanted to move on to larger projects.

Good luck.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #3  
The implements may be worth more than $5000

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #4  
If you're needing a tractor, that would be a decent buy, especially with the extra goodies. You might miss not having a loader or 4WD... Those are good, little tractors, so don't plan to overload it. Get some more aggressive style rear tires, for sure (I never liked those turf tires - my JD 855 came with them initially). You could/should build a little covered lean-to to park it in...

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass?
If you're needing a tractor, that would be a decent buy, especially with the extra goodies. You might miss not having a loader or 4WD... Those are good, little tractors, so don't plan to overload it. Get some more aggressive style rear tires, for sure (I never liked those turf tires - my JD 855 came with them initially). You could/should build a little covered lean-to to park it in...
It has always more or less been a dream of mine to own a Ventrac and maybe a tractor considerably bigger than the Ventrac so anything that the Ventrac failed to accomplish I could do with my larger tractor. I don't think this tractor qualifies for that in my mind. If I decided to stay with this tractor I would probably end up getting the FEL for the Ventrac which are definitely impressive for such a small machine, just as long as you keep in mind it is a smaller limited HP machine.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what I can do to figure out if the snow plow would work with the Ford 1700? I realize even if I decided to use it to actually remove snow I would probably need to do a little modifying by filling the tires, tire chains or something of that nature to make up for no 4WD. Like Andy said it may be worth buying and playing with awhile and either selling or trading later for a possible profit.

I think these tractors are now around 40 years old so as you can see the actual tractor and most of the implements have seen significant use. Some of them are outside right now sitting on the ground which I am certain is not doing them any favors.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #6  
I would say,
1) without the implements, $5k is pretty steep for what it is; but got to look at package deal value.
2) from pictures, tires look 100% fine. Tires can be really pretty bad before you ever replace
3) if you want/need it, go for it; and if some of the impliments aren't needed, don't be afraid to sell them; might make a couple grand back, making it a better deal
4) I would do a fluid/filter change, so, keep a couple hundred budgeted for that

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #7  
On our little Yanmar with turf tires - roughly the same size tractor - I made up a set of basic ladder chains out of a couple of sets of second hand automotive chains. After a few tries, we got the chains fitting so they went on quickly without needing rubber tensioners. Basically left them on most of the year. Chains made the turf tire traction more than acceptable, and wide turf tires made the tractor real stable on side hills. No need to add more weight than an implement provided. .

If it runs well, why not give it a try? Sounds like you don't mind the wrench work that comes with an older tractor. You couldn't buy the implements for the price.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #8  
I'm a huge fan of the Shibaura engine; as good as Yanmar and Kubota perhaps. I have owned three tractors, with Shibaura engines, and we own one now and they are just a great Japanese engine builder. However, the big knock on older Ford tractors is parts availability.

As others have said, the attachments might be worth $5k.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass?
As others have said, the attachments might be worth $5k.
I know I wrote a novel but I want to make sure you guys understand, he said a number he thought may be fair was $3,200. I said $5,000 after doing maintenance and other stuff that may need done/preparation for the tractor etc. Now we did not speak about this anymore, so I never clarified if he meant for just the tractor or the attachments or what. Just I cannot imagine he would sell me the tractor and keep the other implements, he does not have another tractor and almost certain he does not plan to own another. He is a nice guy and he is of the mindset that he does not have to sell it but not against selling it. If I walk up to him and offer $3,000 he may let me take the tractor and all implements. I do not want to do him wrong either.

Here are some of the other implements. Thanks for the feedback.
IMG_1735.jpegIMG_1736.jpegIMG_1737.jpegIMG_1738.jpegIMG_1739.jpegIMG_1740.jpeg

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #10  
he said a number he thought may be fair was $3,200.

If it runs and the stuff that is supposed to move on the implements, moves, I would have already done that deal before research could be done an it changes.