Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass?

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #31  
Mark.. as long as you keep up on the maintenance, oil, filters, grease.. etc.
it “should” give u a few years of trouble free usage..
If u think finding parts for the Ford was next to impossible AND expensive, wait for the day that Kioti needs repairing..
Stay on top of the fuel filters.!!
Glad u found something you like..

Thanks!! I really enjoy it. I have no need for a tractor, so it’s a toy mostly. My church told me to quit donating so much money, so I paid cash for the tractor to help maintain the church grounds and that way I can donate my time too. Volunteering sure breaks up the tedium of being independently wealthy.

Have a blessed day, brother!

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #32  
Tell me about it.. I retired 5-6 yrs ago and haven’t had a day off since.!!
I tell’m, if I wanted a job, I wouldn’t have retired. 😆

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass?
Hey gentlemen, thanks a whole lot for all the great replies. This community is pretty awesome. I am in the "I would like to have it but can go without it boat". I am going to keep my eyes on it for the simple reason of my neighbors having free implements and such. I would like to have one to accomplish some tasks around my property but I have went without one forever and can keep on going.

I am still trying to look into something newer but I always go back and end up looking at Ventrac's when I do. The new price tag since Toro took over makes it a hard pill to swallow.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #34  
Curious why you are looking at the two extremes. Cheap and not as useful vs. expensive and useful. There is a third option. For 8 to 10k get a used subcompact tractor with a loader. They are out there and some could be financed if you need to.

Curious why you are looking at the two extremes. Cheap and not as useful vs. expensive and useful. There is a third option. For 8 to 10k get a used subcompact tractor with a loader. They are out there and some could be financed if you need to.
A Ventrac has just always been on my wish list. I have always wanted one and admittedly wish I would have bought one years ago before the price hike. I have mowed slopes my entire life and realized there was more money in it than flat simple properties. I went back and forth for a long time between a 3000 series and 4000 series Ventrac. Since then the 3000 series has been nearly completely discontinued. Anyway I wanted something that could help me mow some of the slopes I am on and have the potential to move on to bigger slope mowing jobs.

I have been lucky enough to keep my yards over the last decade where a lot of people have lost theirs to say "kids looking to make an extra buck" to people that are out of work and looking to make money anyway they can. Not knocking on either of these because I was the "kid looking to make an extra buck" when I started. One of the reasons that I have been able to keep mine is I have done my best to stay reliable and I figured out people trust experience when it comes to slopes. They do not want the neighborhood kid or someone just looking to get by placing themselves in a dangerous situation.

Over the years I learned a lot about mowing hills with a zero turn. So I guess there was less urgency for something like a Ventrac. Anyway that is the main reason for the extreme. Is I wanted something that was slope capable but I could potentially do everything else I wanted to do. I live on the Shenandoah River near Harpers Ferry, so everything here is literally a slope lol.

If you want me to add more to this when I first started I was looking at 4WD tractors and I was lucky enough to have a man that was like a mentor to me steer me in the right direction. Most of the yards I mow have a lot of obstacles in them and they are nearly impossible to mow with a tractor, even a small one with a 60" deck creates complications. The biggest purchase I ever made (other than my truck) was a special order Ferris with a 52" deck. The frame I bought came standard with a 60" deck. I had an awesome dealer that tracked down a 52" which seemed to be very rare in 2015.

EDIT:
The only reason I was considering the 1700 is like you already pointed out I looked at it as an opportunity to get into something. Potentially be able to learn more, then when I really wanted or needed a Ventrac for something I could turn around and maybe make a profit off the 1700 and implements to put it towards something like a Ventrac.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #36  
Hey guys,

So I did create a post about this before. At that time I did not have all information. So there is a neighbor that lives nearby that said he may be interested in selling his Ford 1700. So the tractor has about 2,300 hours on it and he has about ten implements with it. It is also not 4WD and I think you guys would agree that if it does not need new tires now it will soon. As you can see right now it is safe and sound in his garage but he never runs it and to my knowledge hasn't since he inherited it a couple years ago.

A major reason I did not want to purchase it at the time is I did not and still do not have an indoor shelter to store it. So I hate the idea of purchasing a tractor and immediately storing it outside under a tarp. However, it not being ran and just sitting may be even more of a problem. I am no diesel or tractor expert but the first time I saw it he started it and it sounded pretty good. I did not check blow-by or anything. Having that said, he tried starting it again for me earlier this year and it would not start. Very confident that is the battery.

There is a whole lot going on where I live and there is definitely some opportunity. For instance, my other neighbor has this snow plow and post hole digger (not pictured) that he said I can have if I can move it. It is not as easy as it sounds because it is on a hill going down to the river and there is no easy access. It may already be gone because it is halfway onto the neighbors lawn and I know they both wanted it gone. I also have been wanting something to help me with some small tasks around the house but to be honest I would be purchasing this tractor for no reason in particular right now. I mow a lot as a side business and would like something that could brush hog but I don't even think my trailer could hold this tractor. I would like to reclaim my garden, eventually put up some new fence so it may be nice to not let this opportunity pass by. To be clear, there are many more implements I would be getting.

So this blade/snow plow is independent from front end loader arms correct? As in it may be fully functional on the Ford 1700? I'm sure some of you remember me getting rid of the Ford 1210 that belonged to the neighbor. He said he thought that plow would work with his tractor but it was for a larger machine. So I was just thinking it may be perfect for the 1700. Again he said he would seriously consider selling it to me if I wanted it and he said he thinks we would be around $3,200 but he made it clear that he was uncertain until he did more research and we spoke more. We both just kind of stopped talking about it and left it alone. So before this becomes a literal novel I will leave it like this. I think if I put any money into it, I would change the fluids/filters out, possibly new tires soon after getting it and maybe even pallet forks and rear scoop for the 3 point. I think someone one here told me to forget about a FEL because if these tractors had a weak point it would be the front axle. So I was thinking after all said and done I could have a very capable little tractor for around $5,000 with lots and lots of implements. Thoughts?
I agree on forget the FEL.....several reasons that's a bad idea. I have a 3 pt scoop and a 3 pt boom that I used in lieu of a FEL when I first started trying to learn how to farm. Once I expanded my "herd" the FELs solved both problems on different tractors than your 1700.

On sitting, a few years ago I bought a 50 hp Ford 3910 at an estate sale about 3 years ago. It was obvious that the old gent hadn't run it in quite awhile. I got it home and first thing was I changed the oil and filter. Fired it up ran it for a few minutes and checked the oil level.

The level was OK but the oil was already turning black. Oil pan sludge is the first thing that came to mind. I drained the oil into a clean container and ran my finger into the drain hole and found about 1/4" of sludge on the bottom of the pan.

Oil capacity was 6 quarts for a reference and I dumped a 16 OZ can of Sea Foam into the crankcase and cranked it up to 1k RPM and let it run for half an hour.

Drained the oil and in checking the bottom of the pan, no more sludge. New oil and filter and oil now stays clean. Dirt can't stay suspended in detergent oil (15W-40 C rated in this case) indefinitely.

On my used purchases and that has been the norm for me since 1978, fluid changes are at the top of the list first thing to do.

On sitting outside under a tarp, to me, a lot better than just sitting out in the weather.

A grease gun is your friend as is an operator's manual and service manual.....ebay for one, is an excellent source for such publications

If it smokes after you change the oil the last time initially, with that few hours on it, warm it up and hook it to a good loading implement....5' weighted disc harrow for that tractor to name one and take it out and work it for a couple of hours getting it good and hot....not over temp but up to running temp and hold it there for awhile to clean out all the critters in the fuel system, hydraulics and things like stuck rings and sludged up valve train. Per the can of Sea Foam instructions, a dose of SF in the oil would help to clean up any stuck/carboned up rings eluding to your smoking.....if that is a problem.

If I am going to start a tractor I run it for at least 15 minutes regardless of the reason for starting. That helps to remove any generated condensation in the engine and exhaust system......short story. New to farming new neighbor asked me to come over and get his Oliver tractor started. I had on a brand new "gimmie" cap. The tractor purchase was part of the farm purchase and apparently hadn't been dried out properly the last time(s) it ran.....whenever that was.

I lit it off and immediately was inundated with a rain shower of exhaust (vertical exhaust in front of the drivers station) "slobber" of carbon and water.....ruined the cap and my clothes....I wasn't happy.

I use Power Services diesel fuel supplements. You can easily read up on their history....quite impressive and readily available in rural/near rural stores. I have used them for decades and I have few problems with my 7 tractors from 84 to 25 HP, 1965 to 2021 yearmodels.

Good luck. Be careful, but don't be afraid.....nothing ventured, nothing gained.....or lost.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #37  
$3k with the implements, hmmm. I would check the rear lift capacity. Tractordata.com says 3813 so that might be enough to move your firewood totes if you buy or build a set of forks for the 3pt hitch.
As far as hills, 2wd isn't the best but with a learning curve, some hills can be negotiating. Make sure the individual steering brakes are in good adjustment.
A FEL for that tractor will be hard to find and probably not a good idea.
Have you looked at the height and load capacity of a Ventrac FEL?
While I liked my Steiner 525, I never considered a FEL for it.
David from jax

$3k with the implements, hmmm. I would check the rear lift capacity. Tractordata.com says 3813 so that might be enough to move your firewood totes if you buy or build a set of forks for the 3pt hitch.
As far as hills, 2wd isn't the best but with a learning curve, some hills can be negotiating. Make sure the individual steering brakes are in good adjustment.
A FEL for that tractor will be hard to find and probably not a good idea.
Have you looked at the height and load capacity of a Ventrac FEL?
While I liked my Steiner 525, I never considered a FEL for it.
David from jax

Hey David and Texasmark, thanks for the responses. Ventrac just released a brand new FEL that can be used with the dual wheels and has some other great features. It still has some drawbacks and people argue about what they will actually lift but the capacity for both FELs is 500lbs I think. So I obviously have no chance of lifting my totes with those.

The most recent visit which was the reason for my recent update he is asking a little more for it and still unsure if he wants to sell it. I think right now it is going to be a pass for me. I am trying to convince him to not let it sit but that is what it is doing now. Another part of it is that he plans to mow his lawn with it if I stop cutting for him which is understandable. It makes the situation even more uncertain.

/ Ford 1700 to Purchase or Pass? #39  
Have you considered offering him XXX number of lawn mows to pay for it? That way he gets what he wants, which is his lawn mowed and it doesn't have to come out of your pocket all at once.
I am trying to find some weights for the front of the 1210, before I have to drag out the torch and either cut some 1" plate or maybe some 2" stuff that I have out back. Weight is weight, but I liked h aving the original weights. I don't remember selling the tractor with the weights, but I have looked everywhere and can't locate them. They will probably turn up about the time I spend the money to buy 3 more!
David from jax