Broken welds

/ Broken welds #61  
I'm sure you are just trying to be funny, and I guess that is fine, but if you read this thread, you would understand that the broken welds were on a Mitsubishi Mahindra made in Japan. I've been to Mahindra factories in India and in Japan. You would be impressed.

I think racist remarks are best kept off this forum.
I don't read anything 'racist' in his comment at all. He just linked a YT video, nothing more. I believe you are being way to abject in your comment. Any production welded part can be defective. I've fixed numerous mis aligned and poorly welded Kubota assemblies that were improperly welded in Japan or in Georgia that were made for Kubota tractors in as much as I work part time for my Kubota dealer and I always fix those screw up's in my welding and fabrication shop.

In fact I just rebuilt a 'H' section frame for a bucket (parallelogram linkage) for a Case extenda-hoe. One of the ears was broken off and I beveled the broken off part as well as the mating part correctly (it was 1/2" thick, mild steel plate and the spray arced it in the shop, clamped to me welding table to insure correct alignment. After I welded it up, I returned it to the owner, who promptly bent it (it didn't bend where I welded it but in a different spot because the end of the dipper stick was already twisted and the customer didn't realize it, so I not only get the H weldment back to repair, I also got the entire unit to fix the twist in the end of the dipper stick as well.

Matter of fact, it's sitting in the side yard presently to be repaired. I did my job originally, but the customer didn't realize the end of the dipper stick was also twisted (the where the end of the stick was, the weldment is also not only twisted, but cracked as well.

Last edited:
   / Broken welds #63  
Senseless comment. Everyone has opinions on tractor manufactures, but unless you have facts based on evidence regarding systemic failures, it remains just an opinion.

By the way, many Mahindra’s built since their inception are still running well in 3rd world nations.
Any weld is only as good as the welder that is doing it and in production welding as in a welding jig, mistakes happen, especially if the welder is under time constraints. I see that all the time btw. Prep is everything and so is correct penetration and it don't really matter what country it's put together in either.

/ Broken welds #64  
Correct, proper welds do not break, the parent metal should fail first, as the weld metal is stronger than the parent metal. Some will try to just weld over the crack in the weld, this will fail every time. The old metal has to be removed, area cleaned. and the correct weld metal put in using the correct procedure.

/ Broken welds #65  
I don't read anything 'racist' in his comment at all. He just linked a YT video, nothing more. I believe you are being way to abject in your comment. Any production welded part can be defective.
If you feel his YouTube link was not derogatory towards an ethnic group, so be it. Don't miss the fact that I agree that the welded part was defective, so did Mahindra, and they replaced the part.

We have a fab shop ourselves, plasma table, migs, tigs, mill, lathe, etc. I'm no expert, and I'm quite sure you are a more skilled welder, but I can see a bad weld failure, and that is what happened on this Japanese built Mahindra. Not trying to dodge that. But I have traveled a good part of this world, and that has made me a little more appreciative of other cultures.

/ Broken welds #67  
Back on track. Just what did fail? The weld or was the weld torn of the parent metal?

/ Broken welds #68  
Well, considering I'm 1/2 American Indian, I'm color blind as well. Actually, not quite 1/2 but just below the threshold where I can get government funding under the American Indian Act. Actually, I'm fine with it as I don't believe in sponging off the government anyway.

/ Broken welds #70  
I am surprised your tractor has a hard time lifting 500 lbs. off the ground. According to TractorData.com Kubota L3301 tractor attachments information it should be well over a 1000 lbs. I have a Kubota L3010 (abt 2002 vintage) that picks up over a 1000 lbs. with no problem. In fact I have lifted many things that heavy with it, just have to be careful because accidents can happen way too fast.
Well actually it was a surprise to me also. I say 500 lb's but I don't have a scale large enough to really know for sure, but I did try to pick up a small pallet with 14, 50 lb bags of dog food off the feed delivery truck and it wouldn't budge it. I had to unload about 5 bags before it would lift the pallet. Hell, it won't lift a full bucket of crushed concrete when you go into a pile trying to move it, you have to back out and curl the bucket slightly forward to dump a little out before it will pick it up. Then you have to be careful as you are hauling it to where you need to put it.
That's not what this thread is about but you can start a new one if you like and I'll be glad to talk about it.;)