Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #101  
What the other guys said--plus low weed content. Around here we fight yellow star thistle and fiddleneck infestations constantly in dry land hay farming. Both of these weeds are toxic to horses and cattle. Sheep and goats are less susceptable. My neighbor grows alfalfa on about 30 irrigated acres and has to control the Johnson grass that gets into the crop periodically. This year we have an outbreak of whitetop (hoary cress) that's taken over some of the hayfields that are out of production. That stuff is toxic to horses and sucks up lotsa soil nutrients.

Exactly the reason making horse hay with a profit as a business from other owners fields is a pipe dream. If you don't spend money to control the weed problems,add lime and fertilizer, as needed, and have a lease to avoid what happened to "blueriver" after you spend the time and money the crop will continually dwindle and get weedy to the point it has no value as horse hay.. Most owners expect you to replace the nutrients removed from the soil.
Most folks in this area have found it makes a lot more sense to invest time and money in their own properties rather than others.

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #102  
Shawn,

We need to find/build us a big ole pole barn to store our hay in sir!

We need to add that to the calculations...

David

David,
I have been comtemplate that for awhile now. Over on my cousin's property, the materials are on-hand for a pretty good sized barn. But, I'd hate to put it up and then he, or his kids, decide to use it for another purpose. :confused2:

Hawk

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #103  
Maybe you and I should just become hay brokers/truckers and connect our TBN hay making buddies in the North with our TBN hay consumers in the South? Hmmm...

David,
Sounds good to me. But, Uncle Sam still has me full time for at least another year. But, the truck is ready to roll. So, if there is anyone who needs hay moved into, or out, of the mid-Atlantic area, give me a shout.

Hawk

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #104  
Maybe you and I should just become hay brokers/truckers and connect our TBN hay making buddies in the North with our TBN hay consumers in the South? Hmmm...

David,
Sounds good to me. But, Uncle Sam still has me full time for at least another year. But, the truck is ready to roll. So, if there is anyone who needs hay moved into, or out, of the mid-Atlantic area, give me a shout.

Hawk

If you're ever coming through Southeast Idaho, give me a holler. I'm sure I could sell any hay you bring.

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$
David,
I have been comtemplate that for awhile now. Over on my cousin's property, the materials are on-hand for a pretty good sized barn. But, I'd hate to put it up and then he, or his kids, decide to use it for another purpose. :confused2:

Hawk

Shawn,

I know a place with some cleared (or mostly cleared :D land)... :thumbsup:

My wife told me to go ahead and plan a barn in the current "Homestead" location near the pastures.

We can look it over when you get here soon...

David

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$
If you're ever coming through Southeast Idaho, give me a holler. I'm sure I could sell any hay you bring.

Hey Shawn! Our first customer!!!! WOO HOO!

:D

David

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #107  
Well got everything home dodge and baler.JPG
5040 and rebel.jpghay rake.jpgvicon 3point.jpg

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #108  
Cple more....
vicon cutters.JPGrebel 5410.jpgbarn pic.jpg

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #109  
Very nice! :thumbsup: Did you say what that all cost you?

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #110  
Very nice! :thumbsup: Did you say what that all cost you?

23 for baler,7900 for cutter,and 3300 for rake. I ended up hauling it all myself,I also got a new 0-turn and they wasnt gonna deliever it before easter(needed to mow before everyone got there) so I went and pick the mower,hay cutter and rake up,then I was over there getting some liquid fertilizer so I got the baler today,will see if they make-up for not having to haul anything. They already gave me a roll of net and twine with deal,maybe can get another roll of net.I did save them 2 trips about 160miles,and someones time.
He did give me a hard time since I own Orange and they sell Blue,but I do like the new powerstars,may look at the 90hp in a cple years,just couldnt settle for a 75hp. They were a very good dealer to work with.