Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$
   / Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #112  
FE, wow....very nice. Where is the tedder?

My next pruchase is a V rake & larger tedder.

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #113  
Foreman ... thats some nice equipment. I considered the Vicon disc mower. Let me know how you like it.

You will enjoy your hay season!!!

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #114  
FE, wow....very nice. Where is the tedder?

My next pruchase is a V rake & larger tedder.

Well it was 6,000 and I didnt see getting 6,000 use out of it:D Question is it really needed,I know if hay gets wet they are nice but under normal conditions,is the extra tedder pass worth it?
Thanks everyone:thumbsup:
I always cut with a Krone when growing up,but I heard lots of good things about the Vicon and with the 3 blade disc,I can run a wider cut.

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #115  
Well it was 6,000 and I didnt see getting 6,000 use out of it:D Question is it really needed,I know if hay gets wet they are nice but under normal conditions,is the extra tedder pass worth it?
Thanks everyone:thumbsup:
I always cut with a Krone when growing up,but I heard lots of good things about the Vicon and with the 3 blade disc,I can run a wider cut.

I didn't check, but you must be quoting list price on all this stuff? That is probably a smart idea, as there is no sense getting folks upset about their recent deals.
How wide a cut does your model Vicon make?
As for a tedder needed, it has to be based on the purpose of the hay, the type, height, and thickness of the crop as well as the weatherman.
Up here, getting 4 hot, dry, low humidity days in a row when the hay is prime
is a rarity, so a tedder becomes the most important piece of hay equipment.
Sometimes the dew is so heavy that tedding is a necessary part of the cycle.
It is also not unheard of to get some clumping of the cut regardless of the type of equipment used so a tedder gets rid of the problem of having a clump of wet hay windrowed and rolled into the bale.

I was wondering if your new baler is also set up to wind string around the rolls
or is your only option to use the netting for all rolls?
Ron

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #116  
I didn't check, but you must be quoting list price on all this stuff? That is probably a smart idea, as there is no sense getting folks upset about their recent deals.
As for a tedder needed, it has to be based on the purpose of the hay, the type, height, and thickness of the crop as well as the weatherman.
It is also not unheard of to get some clumping of the cut regardless of the type of equipment used so a tedder gets rid of the problem of having a clump of wet hay windrowed and rolled into the bale.

I was wondering if your new baler is also set up to wind string around the rolls
Ron

Its net or twine witch ever you wonna do...

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #117  
. . . As for a tedder needed, it has to be based on the purpose of the hay, the type, height, and thickness of the crop as well as the weatherman.
is a rarity, so a tedder becomes the most important piece of hay equipment. . .

Ron,

Very, very few people own a tedder here. About the only time it will be used is when we get a rain on cured hay that was just about ready to bale. If it rains on freshly cut grass, we don't even worry about it. It will dry a day or so.

In our part of the world, if rain doesn't interfere, you can cut your hay, let it lay the next day, and bale it the day after that. You can usually start raking by noon, if not before. Last summer, it was so hot and dry that many fields were cut one day and baled the next.

If we let our hay cure for 4 days, it would look like broom straw. :D

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #118  
Most everyone tedders here, heavy dew can start mold under the hay in just a day or two.

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #119  
Ron,

Very, very few people own a tedder here. About the only time it will be used is when we get a rain on cured hay that was just about ready to bale. If it rains on freshly cut grass, we don't even worry about it. It will dry a day or so.

In our part of the world, if rain doesn't interfere, you can cut your hay, let it lay the next day, and bale it the day after that. You can usually start raking by noon, if not before. Last summer, it was so hot and dry that many fields were cut one day and baled the next.

If we let our hay cure for 4 days, it would look like broom straw. :D

As I said before, it depends on a lot of things. 4 days of cure on the ground here wouldn't be any good either. It would be moldy on the bottom and too dry on the top. No amount of tedding or raking would fix that. That's the problem the weekend farmers get into, not enough hours to do it at the right time.
I wasn't talking about a 4 day, on the ground cure time, rather a 4 day complete cycle from cutting to in the barn without being rained upon. The tedder cuts the complete cycle to 3 days, "if you don't cut off more than you can chew", as they say:D.
Even then, every cycle won't go as planned. The weatherman and equipment
problems can turn a beautiful lay down into a mess. That's one reason there are so many rotting and rotten rolls setting around the edge of many farm fields. It used to be saleable for strip mining recovery, but that era has passed around here too.

/ Thinking about getting into haying for my own use and for small $$$ #120  

Ron

They said 8ft on the cut,so I bet 7'11. I havent even touched any of it been in barn,I been spraying weeds and shredding. I do have $2200 in fertilizer out but only had 2/10ths rain and looks like we may be having another year like last year but the year warrenty doesnt start until the baler does:D