Pulled the trigger on an old baler

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #21  
Nice baler.
Check the slip clutch for wear. My Massey Ferguson 124 bale (2 twine, small squares) needed clutch linings replaced.
There should be an overrunning clutch or sprag clutch somewhere in the driveline. Check it out also.

Good luck

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #22  
"Most everything is in decent shap with the exception of the pickup cylinder. I'm pretty sure I need to rip it apart and rebuild it. It hangs up because, three of the five pickup finger rods don't rotate like they're supposed to when it cycles towards the auger."

I remember reading somewhere about how to adjust that. Not sure if it was over at Red Power, or Yesterdays Tractors. Might be worth a call to and IH dealer and see if someone can lead you in the correct direction. Can you find a service manual for it? Might be worth a few pictures and a write up too. I know I am curious as to what you find.

Good luck

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler
Anxious to see it in use. I too am glad it got saved. I'm in negotiations to save a Ford 7ft sickle mower. Should know for sure this week. Scrap prices are climbing back up so we'll lose some more heritage. :(

Good luck with the mower, I hope you get your hands on it!

Nice baler.
Check the slip clutch for wear. My Massey Ferguson 124 bale (2 twine, small squares) needed clutch linings replaced.
There should be an overrunning clutch or sprag clutch somewhere in the driveline. Check it out also.

Good luck

The dogs on the overrunning clutch were rusted closed, but I got them working now. I'm going to disassemble the whole thing, and more than likely get new clutch pads for it. It would be worth the few extra bucks and time. Thanks!

"Most everything is in decent shap with the exception of the pickup cylinder. I'm pretty sure I need to rip it apart and rebuild it. It hangs up because, three of the five pickup finger rods don't rotate like they're supposed to when it cycles towards the auger."

I remember reading somewhere about how to adjust that. Not sure if it was over at Red Power, or Yesterdays Tractors. Might be worth a call to and IH dealer and see if someone can lead you in the correct direction. Can you find a service manual for it? Might be worth a few pictures and a write up too. I know I am curious as to what you find.

Good luck

I'll let you know what I find. I've been trying to get on Red Power for over a week now, but it looks like a moderator still needs to approve my membership. It sure would be nice if they sped up the process a little! I have the user manual here now, and the pickup section shop manual on the way from Ebay. I can't wait to get that! When I called my local IH dealer, I got ahold of one of the most worthless parts guys I've ever dealt with. I'll probably head in and try to talk with a more experienced guy. We do quite a bit of business with them where I work, so I really hope they take care of me.

Thanks everyone for the input/feedback. I really appreciate it!

Chris

I got the baler in pretty good shape for the most part. One big problem though, it looks like the pickup cylinder isn't designed to be taken apart, or serviced. It's like they assembled it from left to right, then welded the right end plate to the tube. One of the pickup finger bars has a bearing that broke in half, and two others are frozen. Anyone know if it's even possible to disassemble this, and be able to reassemble it? Also the bearings aren't removable.. the ends of the shafts were punched to keep them, instead of using a keeper and bolt.

I have the service manual and there is no description on disassembling it. Just the steps to take it off the baler. I'm very disappointed.

Thanks

IH baler1.jpg

IH pickup cylinder.jpg

20160515_111412.jpg

20160515_111429.jpg

Thanks powerscol! That's exactly right. I might be screwed here. I'm going to sit on it for a few days, and make a decision. I might part it out on ebay, cause the rest of the baler is in good shape. I'm sure someone could use the knotters, needles, trip arm and so on. It's really too bad they made it that way.. what a bummer!

Chris

I ended up buying a IH 47 baler from a guy up the road that "had a knotter out of time" for $200! Got it home, spent a few hours tinkering with it, and cranked out my first few bales ever! I was making short bales so I didn't have to run a ton of hay through it for testing purposes. I'm more than happy. The outside knotter leaves a really short end on one twine, and because of that will miss a bale or two, so I still need to work on that. The No.46 anr 47 use the same knotters, needles and various other odds and ends, so I'm going to take all the good off this 46, and take it to a scrap yard.

Also, yesterday at a local auction I picked up a IH 14 side delivery rake for $600. It's in great shape other than the paint. Tested it out when I got it home, and can tell the guy took great care of it mechanically.

Chris

20160521_112346.jpg

20160521_112405_001.jpg

20160521_175044.jpg

20160522_163802.jpg

Last edited: