Pulled the trigger on an old baler

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #1  

CDennyRun

Gold Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75
Well, I finally found what I thought was a decent deal on an old baler. Paid $150 a IH 46 from a local guy, was barn kept it's whole life, until two years ago, where it was under a tree. It hasn't been used in about ten years, but was used and well kept before it was parked. Everything is there, everything moves, but it needs some work.

I plan to replace the chains, belt, grease everything and check the timing prior to hooking it up to PTO. The pickup teeth should be replaced, and I need to spend some time cleaning things up/lubing. Otherwise, I think it'll be a decent baler. Dogs are in good shape, needles look great, knotter assemblies look in tact and fairly clean, and there is no bad rust anywhere on it. I have the operators manual on the way, so I look forward to that read.

It's not pretty, but pressure washers and paint do amazing things! I'll be bringing it home this weekend, and can't wait to dive in.

IH 46 baler 2.jpg

IH 46 Baler.jpg

Chris

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #2  
I have an old NH Super 66 that I got 4 years ago. It's never missed a bale and I do 30 to 40 acres of hay a year. I love the old stuff. It's usually a small investment up front compared to new and if it does break, I know I can work on it myself.

I hope you get many years of dependable service from it.

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #3  
Where are the gathering/stuffing forks? Cant see them in the photo. Just wondering.

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #4  
Are the gathering/stuffing forks still in good shape? Cant see them in the photo. Just wondering. Appears to be in fairly good shape - one bent piece of metal on pickup, not bad. be sure to drain the fluids and check the universals on the intermediate drive shaft. They make quite a mess when they let go and that big piece of steel flops around. I think you did well.

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #5  
You will enjoy it.

I went through my new holland 68 this winter.

If nothing else you will get to know your machine really well.
Hopefully there is still some parts support for it.

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #6  
Hey Chris,

Boy those pix take me back! I spent many days of my youth either in front of (on the tractor) or behind (on the wagon stacking) a IH model 45 baler. That one had a 2 cylinder Wisconsin air cooled engine for power rather than a PTO shaft. That baler used to make the most solid bales I've ever handled. Enjoy the restore!

Frank

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler
I have an old NH Super 66 that I got 4 years ago. It's never missed a bale and I do 30 to 40 acres of hay a year. I love the old stuff. It's usually a small investment up front compared to new and if it does break, I know I can work on it myself.

I hope you get many years of dependable service from it.

Thanks! I really wanted a NH, but they just aren't on the market at the moment. At least not in my price range. I'm glad your 66 is holding tight for ya!

Where are the gathering/stuffing forks? Cant see them in the photo. Just wondering.

The gathering fork is tucked up in the bale chamber in those pics. It's in great shape. No cracks or welds! The universals seem to be in good shape, but I guess I'll know more when I put 540 to it. I'm sure I'll just end up replacing them to be safe.

You will enjoy it.

I went through my new holland 68 this winter.

If nothing else you will get to know your machine really well.
Hopefully there is still some parts support for it.

It sounds like there are some parts still available, but not all. I just got of the phone with my local IH dealer, and the guy was pretty vague about what they could get in. I'd love to find out what other IH balers had these knotters, needles, and so on. The guy I spoke with seemed like kind of a lump, so I'm sure that didn't help. Ha ha

Chris

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #8  
You can ask about your baler in the general form with these folks Red Power Magazine Community .
They helped me a lot with my sickle mower. It may be your baler was made by someone else and badged IH.

Hope this helps

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler
You can ask about your baler in the general form with these folks Red Power Magazine Community .
They helped me a lot with my sickle mower. It may be your baler was made by someone else and badged IH.

Hope this helps

Thanks man! I'll check them out right now.

Chris

/ Pulled the trigger on an old baler #10  

Look carefully. The feed forks are currently within the bale chamber and on their way out.