New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Today I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Husky 346XP chainsaw. I have been looking for a used one for the last couple of weeks on C/L and Epay. The crazy prices people are asking for the old slower version and used newer updated version led me to just go out and buy a new one. I found that a few dealers were sold out of them. I also found that a few dealers are overpricing them by as much as $70.00 over MSRP. So I let my fingers do the walking and found a local dealer that had them for the suggested retail price. He also swapped out the 16" bar/chain for an 18" setup at no cost. The price was $489.00 plus tax. This saw has a two year warranty for homeowner use. I compared this saw to the Stihl MS260 PRO 3.4HP. This saw is more powerful, lighter, higher revving and cost less than the MS260 PRO. Buying the Husky was a no brainer for me. I came home and played with it right away. I went through four tanks of gas this afternoon with this saw cleaning up tree limbs that fell from last December's ice storm. I have been using chainsaws since I was a kid back in the late 60's. I also own a Husqvarna 262XP, Husky 55 Rancher and Stihl 210c. Here is what I think of this 346XP. It is like a chainsaw on steroids. It screams to be let loose. It does not bog down, falter or even think it is cutting wood. It is by far the lightest and fastest saw that I have ever used or ever want to own. The weight is just over 11 pounds without the bar and chain. It produces 3.7HP and cranks a mean and wild 14,700 RPM's. Needless to say, this saw is dangerous. It will and can make a 4" round 6 foot log roll right up to your knee without even thinking about it. I know because it happened to me this afternoon. It is so fast that the log was up to my knee before I could even let off the trigger. I have owned many saws over the years and used plenty of other peoples saws. I have never in my life used a saw like this one. Now I am really glad that I went out and bought a new saw instead of a used saw. So if you are considering a new Husky 455 or 460, forget it. This saw is morepowerful and lighter. Yes, it does cost more to buy. The advantage is that you will be cutting more wood in the same amount of time and not having to use a heavier saw. Should anyone that reads this live in my area and would like to try it out, just email me. I have plenty of downed wood that needs to be cut up. Plus I will send you to the same dealer where I got mine. He does have them in stock.

Last edited:
   / New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #2  
Today I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Husky 346XP chainsaw. I have been looking for a used one for the last couple of weeks on C/L and Epay. The crazy prices people are asking for the old slower version and used newer updated version led me to just go out and buy a new one. I found that a few dealers were sold out of them. I also found that a few dealers are overpricing them by as much as $70.00 over MSRP. So I let my fingers do the walking and found a local dealer that had them for the suggested retail price. He also swapped out the 16" bar/chain for an 18" setup at no cost. The price was $489.00 plus tax. This saw has a two year warranty for homeowner use. I compared this saw to the Stihl MS260 PRO 3.4HP. This saw is more powerful, lighter, higher revving and cost less than the MS260 PRO. Buying the Husky was a no brainer for me. I came home and played with it right away. I went through four tanks of gas this afternoon with this saw. I have been using chainsaws since I was a kid back in the late 60's. I also own a Husqvarna 262XP, Husky 55 Rancher and Stihl 210c. Here is what I think of this 346XP. It is like a chainsaw on steroids. It screams to be let loose. It does not bog down, falter or even think it is cutting wood. It is by far the lightest and fastest saw that I have ever used or ever want to own. The weight is just over 11 pounds without the bar and chain. It produces 3.7HP and cranks a mean and wild 14,700 RPM's. Needless to say, this saw is dangerous. It will and can make a 4" round 6 foot log roll right up to your knee without even thinking about it. I know because it happened to me this afternoon. It is so fast that the log was up to my knee before I could even let off the trigger. I have owned many saws over the years and used plenty of other peoples saws. I have never in my life used a saw like this one. Now I am really glad that I went out and bought a new saw instead of a used saw. So if you are considering a new Husky 455 or 460, forget it. This saw is morepowerful and lighter. Yes, it does cost more to buy. The advantage is that you will be cutting more wood in the same amount of time and not having to use a heavier saw. Should anyone that reads this live in my area and would like to try it out, just email me. I have plenty of downed wood that needs to be cut up. Plus I will send you to the same dealer where I got mine. He does have them in stock.

Congratulations. It seem that you like it then? There are few things more satisfying than a professional tool that exceeds your expectations. I have a new Husky 372XP 5.3 HP 13.4 pounds. The XP series of saws are very easy to like.:D:D

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes
Congratulations. It seem that you like it then? There are few things more satisfying than a professional tool that exceeds your expectations. I have a new Husky 372XP 5.3 HP 13.4 pounds. The XP series of saws are very easy to like.:D:D

Oh yes, I like it very much. Owning the 262XP for the last couple of years kinda sold me on this saw too. The quality has always been there on certain models of their saws, but not all, according to the dealers I know that sell them.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #4  
That 346XP is a real nice saw! I have a bunch of ported saws, one of which is a ported stihl 026 I like to run on small stuff. I just sold a ported jonsered 2149 that ran a 16" 3/8 bar and chain setup with ease.....that 2149 is the same saw as your 346xp except I mine had the older jug that is a few mm smaller....but it still ripped! :)

Have fun and be safe,

Kevin

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #5  
A friend I cut with bought one last year and I was very impressed with the performance of the 346xp. We cut side by side one day for about 6 hours and that 346xp ran like a champ.

I have older Husky's, a 272xp and a 257. Both are and have been great saws they are going on 12 years old. Last year I took a chance on a new Dolmar 5100S which is a 50cc saw that turns 15,000 RPM. I think I am going to like the Dolmar a lot.

Randy

A friend I cut with bought one last year and I was very impressed with the performance of the 346xp. We cut side by side one day for about 6 hours and that 346xp ran like a champ.

I have older Husky's, a 272xp and a 257. Both are and have been great saws they are going on 12 years old. Last year I took a chance on a new Dolmar 5100S which is a 50cc saw that turns 15,000 RPM. I think I am going to like the Dolmar a lot.

Randy

I passed on the Dolmar because none of the tractor/equipment dealers near me sell them. I do have a used Dolmar backpack leaf blower that I picked up for $100.00 that works like a charm. Stihl and Husqvarna are the main saws being sold around here.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #7  
Congrats on the 346xp! I've wanted one of those in the NE 50 cc for a while now.I have a perfect 345 Husky,even though its only 3hp,it is fine for my needs.If I have anything bigger i whip out my ported 372 xp:D.That thing is the fastest cutting saw ive ever used.I got a ported cylinder from a reputable saw builder,and this thing just screams like you cannot believe! I love chainsaws,or anything with an engine...

Congrats on the 346xp! I've wanted one of those in the NE 50 cc for a while now.I have a perfect 345 Husky,even though its only 3hp,it is fine for my needs.If I have anything bigger i whip out my ported 372 xp:D.That thing is the fastest cutting saw ive ever used.I got a ported cylinder from a reputable saw builder,and this thing just screams like you cannot believe! I love chainsaws,or anything with an engine...

I think that most country boys love anything that is fast with lots of power. Here's my equivalent to the 346Xp on wheels. She's a 330xi.

Attachments

• 330xi2.jpg
    330xi2.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 1,074
   / New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #9  
****, now you're making me re-think things. I spent the last week or so debating whether to spend the extra $$$ and get a 346xp or stick with a non-pro saw given I don't do all that much cutting. I hemmed and hawed and decided to go with a Stihl MS270 - a little heavier, a little less powerful, and about $90 cheaper.

My local True Value store has the 346xp for $489, but they wanted an extra $10 for the 18" bar that I was looking for and another $11 for an extra chain. I got the MS270 for $409 (MSRP) with the 18" bar and two chains. I haven't used it yet (tomorrow) so I could bring it back.

I do agree it's a better deal than the MS260 pro, which is a little lighter but noticeably less powerful and, yet more expensive. Congrat's on that new xp.

****, now you're making me re-think things. I spent the last week or so debating whether to spend the extra $$$ and get a 346xp or stick with a non-pro saw given I don't do all that much cutting. I hemmed and hawed and decided to go with a Stihl MS270 - a little heavier, a little less powerful, and about $90 cheaper.

My local True Value store has the 346xp for $489, but they wanted an extra $10 for the 18" bar that I was looking for and another $11 for an extra chain. I got the MS270 for $409 (MSRP) with the 18" bar and two chains. I haven't used it yet (tomorrow) so I could bring it back.

I do agree it's a better deal than the MS260 pro, which is a little lighter but noticeably less powerful and, yet more expensive. Congrat's on that new xp.

Thanks, I spent a few weeks debating which way to go too. I think I made the right decision. I figured the faster I can get my wood cut, the faster I can be out doing something I'd like to do like fishing or riding my motorcycle. I bet you could get them to throw in the bigger bar. You are more than welcome to try mine out if your not too far from the northwest corner of Worcester.