New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #21  
I bought a sthil ms-250 three years ago and have cut 150 posts and more than a few cords of firewood ,it sure beats those poulans I used to buy. russ

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #22  
If you like Stihl, try the Stihl MS260, it is around $100 more than the MS270 and pro grade saw. If you can wait, my local dealer Farmington Valley Equipment has a 10% off MSRP sale every Spring and Fall. That is when I purchased all my Stihl equipment. I am looking to get a MS361 this Spring. Husky makes great saws to so a lot depends on your local dealer support. All the local dealers around me carry Stihl.

Too late! I decided to go ahead and use the MS270 and besides, when I looked at my receipt it said 15% restocking fee for returned items. Maybe they wouldn't have charged it if I traded it for another Stihl, but if I did bring it back, it would have been to get the Husky xp. Anyway, after moving up from an 012av, it was quite a jump in performance. I was pretty impressed with it and I know it's not broken in yet. I was cutting some 20"+ rounds. I think it dulled a bit by the end of the day as it seemed to be taking longer to get through some of my cuts, or I could have just been getting tired. Anyway, it's good and used now, so I guess it's mine. Hopefully, I see a step up in performance after 10 or so tanks of gas.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #23  
I think it dulled a bit by the end of the day as it seemed to be taking longer to get through some of my cuts, or I could have just been getting tired. Anyway, it's good and used now, so I guess it's mine. Hopefully, I see a step up in performance after 10 or so tanks of gas.

All the Stihl saws ship with "safety" type chains. I switched my saw over to - OILOMATIC Stihl Rapid Super (RSC) full chisel chain. My saw cuts it seems like almost twice as fast with the better chain. You just have to be real careful working with the end of the bar as the full chisel type chains do not provide any kickback prevention.

You can get the chains off eBay. I deal with - rmsceo1675.

Here are some of the chains that Stihl offers -
http://www.mystihl.net/chainsaws/types.html

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes
Chisel chains are the only way to go on any saw for the best performance and cutting speed. They are also the easiest to dull.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #25  
Funny you bring up the swap out to RSC/Chisel chain. When I bought the MS270, I got them to throw in another chain. Yesterday I pulled the 2nd one out of the box and I can't tell for the life of me what type it is other than it doesn't have a green link like the one that came on the saw. I know the green link signifies reduced kickback chain. (I thought the non reduced kickback chain had a yellow link in them?) I couldn't find any markings either on the box that indicated the chain type. Is there a way you can tell looking at the chain itself? Both chains note .325 pitch on them and a C, which I think means comfort chain, whatever that is.

Chisel tooth is a square tooth on the corner of the cutter.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #27  
The XP saws are all top notch. In my area the MS 260 Pro is less money not more than the 346xp, $450 vs. $480 respectively and I have a Stihl dealer that I trust so when I was in the market for a 50cc saw I went with the Stihl. I cut about 30 cords of firewood in the last year and I also have an MS 361 (which is an outstanding firewood saw), but the next saw I hope to buy is a 372xp :D.

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #28  
the next saw I hope to buy is a 372xp :D.

You wont be dissapointed in the 372xp:D. The day I got mine I was like a kid in a candy store.Thats saw is the perfect balance of power,speed,and weight.You can run it for hours no problem,yet it cuts like a hot knife thru butter,esp ported,muffler modded,and w jug dropped.:D

/ New Husqvarna 346XP Yikes #29  
I've also run chain saws all my life, many different brands (yes Stihl also) but I've never found a saw that will cut like my 385XP. I have a Husky 41 and 61, but absolutely no contest. I have property out in WA with BIG trees, and it RIPPED thru them. I'm now clearing a homesite in Ohio and this thing making mincemeat out of the smaller trees. My FIL just bought a new 455, again no comparison. The saw is a workout if you're cutting all day, but talk about saving time....I've never seen/used such a great saw!
I bought mine on Ebay, save some good $$$.

Attachments

• sell 425.jpg
    sell 425.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 4,264
You can't compare any Pro saw against the homeowner saws. It is like day and night between the two.