Hydraulic Top Link

/ Hydraulic Top Link #21  
MtnViewRanch said:
Bushings man, bushings. Doug, make one yourself, it's the only way to get it right. Buy the 3" cylinder, buy an aftermarket top link, a little cutting and welding and you have a hydraulic top link that is the right size for your tractor.:) And it only costs you 6 months worth of meals, didn't you say that you needed to go on a diet? Although the only diet that I can think that you might need to go on would be a real food diet and get off that peanut butter & bread diet, that gets old quick. Oh well, more "food" for thought.;)
Oh brother... enough with the puns!!! ;) And yes, I need to go on a diet bad! :eek: No doubt about that. Just find me a diet that's cheaper than my generic peanut butter and stale bread (from the stale bread store) sandwiches and I'll give it a try! :D

No making one myself. Not when there is no need. Trust me... I've got enough such things on my "to do" list already. :rolleyes: Put it on that list and it will never get done. :p

Are you serious about a 3" cylinder for a hydraulic top link on a mere Cat I 3-point? Or are you thinking 7520-grade again? ;)

Dougster

/ Hydraulic Top Link #22  
Dougster said:
Oh brother... enough with the puns!!! ;) And yes, I need to go on a diet bad! :eek: No doubt about that. Just find me a diet that's cheaper than my generic peanut butter and stale bread (from the stale bread store) sandwiches and I'll give it a try! :D

No making one myself. Not when there is no need. Trust me... I've got enough such things on my "to do" list already. :rolleyes: Put it on that list and it will never get done. :p

Are you serious about a 3" cylinder for a hydraulic top link on a mere Cat I 3-point? Or are you thinking 7520-grade again? ;)

Dougster

Yes 3" for your puny Cat I 3ph.:p Think about it, big massive, no strength problems aaaannnd takes more fluid to move = easier to adjust. Trust me, cost difference is minimal and the end product is superior. I have already thought all this stuff out for whenever I can finagle getting the 40 horse that I want.:D

As far as time to get it done, well how bad do you want it? It should take what about an hour, maybe 2? Now none of this applies if you are not doing the work yourself or can get it done at no charge.

Just my opinion, but DO NOT get anything smaller than 2", you will be sorry with anything smaller for your tractor.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #23  
Dougster said:

Dougster

Dougster,
Forget about food. What is my Motto??????:cool: :cool: :cool:

/ Hydraulic Top Link #24  
MtnViewRanch said:
Yes 3" for your puny Cat I 3ph.:p Think about it, big massive, no strength problems aaaannnd takes more fluid to move = easier to adjust. Trust me, cost difference is minimal and the end product is superior. I have already thought all this stuff out for whenever I can finagle getting the 40 horse that I want.:D As far as time to get it done, well how bad do you want it? It should take what about an hour, maybe 2? Now none of this applies if you are not doing the work yourself or can get it done at no charge. Just my opinion, but DO NOT get anything smaller than 2", you will be sorry with anything smaller for your tractor.
Now Brain... you are talking a cylinder than can exert nearly 18,000 lbs (based on 2,500 psig supply). I understand the slower speed/finer control issue, but I still think you're thinking 7520-grade!!! ;)

Refresher: I bought a stick welder (Lincoln Tombstone) a while back based on the recommendation of one of the GF's welder brothers, but never ran the 230V wiring out to the garage nor took the classes. Meanwhile, the other welder brother... and now both brothers... are saying I need to sell the Tombstone and buy a $600+ wire-fed MIG welder for the kind of welding I see myself doing. Unfortunately, that little "upgrade" is not exactly in the budget right now and I would be stuck paying a machine shop for any custom-made hydraulic top link. Ain't gonna happen! :(

As I mentioned way up front in this thread, a hydraulic top link is definitely on my long-term want list... but not really on my immediate/critical needs list. :eek:

Dougster

/ Hydraulic Top Link #25  
civesnedfield said:
Dougster, Forget about food. What is my Motto??????:cool: :cool: :cool:
Yes, yes... I know: "Live BIG or Die"!!! :rolleyes:

Easy for you to say after tonight's Lobsta & Fillet Mignon dinner!!! :p

Dougster

/ Hydraulic Top Link #26  
So exactly what size would you all suggest? A 3" cylinder, with how much stroke movement? For me this will go on a 4200 Kubota and I can cut up my old top link and weld the ends on the hydraulic.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #27  
EZ-HITCH said:
A 3" cylinder, with how much stroke movement?

If your current toplink is sufficient, measure it closed and measure it open to see what you think you'll need. If that's too long a range, measure it while you've got your favorite implements set up. It will vary a bit based on tractor model, implements, and if you've got a quick hitch. On my JD 2520 I've got a 2" cylinder with an assembled length from 18-26.5" - but it's quite likely that I'll also need the 21-32" model at some point if I get a boxblade and can't get the angle right. I bought pre-assembled.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #28  
I have a surplus center cylinder and it doesn't drift much at all. But, a lot of the time the drift is from the parts tolerance stack up in the control valve. I do wish I had the one from Carter but they didn't have the right size when I needed the cylinder. If you do order the cylinder for SC, have them ship you a couple of their spring bushings. You can drive them in or use a bolt and a couple of washer to pull them in. They stay put unlike the bushing that are sold at TSC etc.
I don't think that you will need one any larger than a 2". I have had mine several months and the 2" has always been fine.
Surplus Center Item Detail

/ Hydraulic Top Link #29  
Dougster said:
Now Brain... you are talking a cylinder than can exert nearly 18,000 lbs (based on 2,500 psig supply). I understand the slower speed/finer control issue, but I still think you're thinking 7520-grade!!! ;)

Refresher: I bought a stick welder (Lincoln Tombstone) a while back based on the recommendation of one of the GF's welder brothers, but never ran the 230V wiring out to the garage nor took the classes. Meanwhile, the other welder brother... and now both brothers... are saying I need to sell the Tombstone and buy a $600+ wire-fed MIG welder for the kind of welding I see myself doing. Unfortunately, that little "upgrade" is not exactly in the budget right now and I would be stuck paying a machine shop for any custom-made hydraulic top link. Ain't gonna happen! :(

As I mentioned way up front in this thread, a hydraulic top link is definitely on my long-term want list... but not really on my immediate/critical needs list. :eek:

Dougster

A couple more things, I have a hydraulic laying around with one end of it that will work for you, send me the implement end and we will put it on and send it back to you.:cool:

What kind of MIG are you getting for $600? Are you sure that thing is a real welder? The Lincoln that I just bought was $2000.

Let me know.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #30  
MtnViewRanch said:
A couple more things, I have a hydraulic laying around with one end of it that will work for you, send me the implement end and we will put it on and send it back to you.:cool: What kind of MIG are you getting for $600? Are you sure that thing is a real welder? The Lincoln that I just bought was $2000. Let me know.
Hi Brian - Thanks very much for the very generous offer, but I'm gonna pass for now. I really wouldn't feel right about it without paying for it (which I'm not quite in a great position to do right now).

Can't find the exact Lincoln model I looked at, but I believe this one is very close:

Lincoln Electric Weld-Pak 175HD, 208/230-volt Wire Feeder Welder, Comes With Everything Needed To Weld Mild Steel - K2338-1 at The Home Depot

You seriously rich left coast folks can spend two grand on a welder and not even give it a second thought! I'll be very hard pressed to come up with $600. Maybe my GF will get it for me as a Christmas present! :)

Dougster