John Deere 4600 - no bucket tilt function??

/ John Deere 4600 - no bucket tilt function?? #1  

Willus

Tractor
John Deere 4600
Hello all.. I have a John Deere 4600 w/460 loader.. I was fixing the road today and lost bucket tilt function dumping gravel..
1) fluid good..
2) engauge tilt, hoses jump and bucket moves slightly..
3) Swapped quick connects and lift function works w/tilt function but bucket doesn't tilt w/lift function..
4)Tilt cylinders have no external leaks..
5) If i do have a bad tilt cylinder can i hold function and should 1 cylinder get warmer then the other?? Or is there another way to check without gauges??
I think i'm in the right direction but i know there are people out there that have been thru this and may reinsure me if you know what i mean.. Anything will help tractor wants to get back to work.. Thanks everyone, Willus

/ John Deere 4600 - no bucket tilt function??
Just wanted to post what i found today if anyone would like to know.. I let tractor warm up and kept on engauging the tilt up function several times (because bucket was in the down position) The right cylinder got warm on both sides of the pistonand the left did not change in temp at all.. So thats telling me that fluid is bypassing the seals.. Just ordered rebuild kits (going to do both tilt cylinders)
Now i have to do some reading to see how to remove the end caps.. I've done screw on caps and the spanner caps but not this type.. It has a snap ring on the outside.. Looks like you remove it and push the cap into the cylinder but after that not sure whats next yet.. If anyone has rebuilt this type of cylinder and could give me any info - do's and don't that would be great.. Thanks, Willus

/ John Deere 4600 - no bucket tilt function?? #3  
Seems to me that I read a thread where someone was rebuilding one of those a few months back. Try a search and see if you have any luck finding something.

Oh, and Welcome to TBN! I'm suprised no-one has responded yet. You should hear something soon, but give the search a try anyway. Lots of great info here on TBN. One word of caution though, doing very much searching and reading on here can become addictive.;)

dryrilc thanks for the welcome and your right this form is addicting.. lots of good info and not enough beer.. lol

Kennyd thanks for the link.. Makes sence with that wire clip inside the tube.. I'm getting the kits friday and will post on how things went.. Maybe to help others rebuilding this type of cylinder i'll take pictures or do a youtube video on how i went thru everything above.. Thanks to all again, Willus

/ John Deere 4600 - no bucket tilt function?? #6  
dryrilc thanks for the welcome and your right this form is addicting.. lots of good info and not enough beer.. lol

Kennyd thanks for the link.. Makes sence with that wire clip inside the tube.. I'm getting the kits friday and will post on how things went.. Maybe to help others rebuilding this type of cylinder i'll take pictures or do a youtube video on how i went thru everything above.. Thanks to all again, Willus

Your welcome, any question lemme know;)

Sorry all for not posting to this thread sooner.. I pulled cylinder off to rebuild it and come to find out nut stripped off of the rod.. Arr.. Wounder why i had no tilt function.. lol I've been brush hoggin and haven't needed the bucket so i haven't done anything yet.. (Till i get stuck and need the bucket to get out)
But anyway my thought is to rethread down to the next size.. OE seems to be 3/4" so hopefully a metric size will be close enough to clean it up.. Hopefull no one bashes me for doing this.. A new cylinder is $550ish and the rod is $240ish.. So if it works i have $50 in parts and my own time.. I'll let everyone know once i pick up my first full bucket..

/ John Deere 4600 - no bucket tilt function?? #8  
Thanks for all the information of lift cyl. problems and repair methods.
I have asked for a answer to my JD 4520 breaking a steel line to curl function of hay fork on and old post for 4320 line break. then reading farther found this posting of cyls.
Quick explaination of problem. the port 1 line at seam blew out lifting a 180 wheel weight. and replacing the line would not work at all. the quick connect coupler would not pass oil. replaced and now all functions work except the bucket curl drifts down reasonably quick have to keep lifting the forks when empty of load or loaded. Reading this message posts realized must have a lift cyl with a leaking seal.
So know method to get correct numbers and order from dealer the kits will get both cyl. and with my experance will replace the side that is not leaking first.
Again thanks for all the information of past posts.
ken

/ John Deere 4600 - no bucket tilt function?? #9  
Ken, You said:

with my experience will replace the side that is not leaking first.

What kind of logic is that. Why not replace the one that is leaking if you can determine that. There is no reason to think that another similar cyl will leak, and it might last three times as long as the other one. There is no law that says that two cyl used on the same machine must fail together. Fix the broke one, and when the other one fails, then fix it.

/ John Deere 4600 - no bucket tilt function?? #10  
Ken, You said:

with my experience will replace the side that is not leaking first.

What kind of logic is that. Why not replace the one that is leaking if you can determine that. There is no reason to think that another similar cyl will leak, and it might last three times as long as the other one. There is no law that says that two cyl used on the same machine must fail together. Fix the broke one, and when the other one fails, then fix it.

J J This was written at around 4 this morning. and had a short night last night. What I was thinking was which ever side I repair first it will be the other that is leaking. Always lose when it is 50/50 chance.
This failure happened after over 4 hours of lifting bails of hay around 950 lbs each. then was going to move a set of wheel weights of 180 lbs. and the metal line in a bend blew. Now know why the hydrolics are under the work platform. loud bang and oil everywhere.
Quick disconnect coupling would not pass oil so replaced. tractor is working just forks drop down engine running or off.
ken