Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #1  

jobguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT120
I have an old (1965 or so I think) Minneapolis Moline Jet Star wide front end. I would like to add power steering and was thinking of using an elec/hyd pump of some sort. I have looked at the ad from a poster on this site that sells kits. Just sent him an email but the hydraulics on my tractor may not work for adding power steering. Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful so don't be shy.
Thanks

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #2  
Describe the hyd on your machine, such as GPM, psi, open center or closed center, etc

You might be able to use a hyd splitter valve and divide the pump flow to power PS circuit.

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #3  
A marine hyd. cyl. is not a good one to use. 1st off you would have to make a new piston for it. I'm useing the stern drive cyls. for a small loader that I am working on. I made the new pistons and well have to reg. the down pressure, the up pressure well be ok.

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #4  
The constantly variable nature of steering makes a boat trim cylinder/system unsatisfactory. The boat/marine trim system is designed to make slow adjustments to a trim surface and leave it there. Steering requires rapid direction and speed changes that are best served with a dedicated system that can apply power and direction in response to steering wheel inputs. That's what the steering motors perform on our tractors. I just can't see the marine system ever being suitable. 10 seconds from full retract to full extend is an eternity when you are steering a tractor.

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #5  
if the oem hyds are not up to it.. ie.. not live or too low flow or pisi.. I'd scab on a car ps pump from a junkyard.. and some bracket-magic...

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #6  
Jim the marine trim cyls. are made to let go when you hit something and they return back to the spot where they were. The cyls have 2 pistons, one is a floating piston and the main piston has 4 check valves one way and 1 or 2 going the other. I'm not saying this to be a smart a** or over ride what you said just wanting to let you know how they work. That is why I said he would have to make new piston for it. The cyls can only take the 2200psi going out or up. On the in or down side if a lot of psi gets to the down or in side it well bust the other tube.

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #7  
imho.. that trim.. or a lin-act is not the way to go.. vs a hyd steering motor.. or steering assist cyls powered by a small pump.. hard to reinvent the wheel on that one.

I know some newer cars are going to a demand pump system, and perhaps an accumulator.. but that's a new car/ designed with that in mind.... not a tractor being retrofit.... :)

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract
Thank you for the replies. The hydraulics on this old tractor barely work. And I don't know enough to get them working correctly. I use the tractor when I need traction and weight which is not very often. My Bobcat CT120 will do most of the work around my 6 acre lot. My shoulders are shot, which is why I'm looking into power steering (was hoping there was an easy solution). Thanks again for replying.

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #9  
This may sound a little rude-I don't mean it to be...but if you admittedly don't know enough to get your existing system up to par how do you expect to add a new system and have it functioning safely?

/ Has anyone used a boat motor elec/hyd cylinder to make power steering on an old tract #10  
jobguy ,

You never did respond to my question about the GPM and pressure on your tractor,

You could install a fan belt pump matched to a hyd cyl and build a system, but they sell a power steering kit for tractors,

The PS from a car or truck would probably work also.