Jerky project cylinder action

/ Jerky project cylinder action
My motor valve has to be held on for safety.
I did not get a motor valve as I wanted the shaft locked when the valve is in middle position for pipe changing.

/ Jerky project cylinder action #32  
I have a gauge at the pump but not able to read it while alone.
The motor is rated to a 300 ft. If at full load but I do not expect more than 150'.
No try with both motor and ram at the same time yet.
My thought was that the cylinder size and shock along with all unused flow having to go through the relief valve causes the engine stall? Like when valved only into the ram, it takes almost nothing so the rest of the flow gies to the relief valve at 1500 psi so I have instant 1500 psi braking pressure?
Gray

I'm confused. Why is your relief valve operating? Isn't your system/valves open center in which unused flow just goes back to the tank?

/ Jerky project cylinder action #33  
No load control on that log splitter valve.

How did you come to use the log splitter valve.

You do know , in the log splitter valve reverse mode, there is a separate relief setting to kick the lever to neutral , and is adjustable.

Is the cyl on the boom pushing or pulling the load.

What you have is a spool that will block fluid flow in neutral , keeping the cyl at whatever angle you left it.

The first valve in the hyd system will set the main relief pressure.

Each answer generates more thoughts and questions.
The valve has a return decent set for 1000. I have it set to limit the mast up position and not have force where it is not needed.
The ram has to lift in both directions due to the offset geometry of the hinge pin location. As the mast folds back it moves away from the bore hole allowing you to keep the rig in place while working on the well and not to have any reset needed for further well work.

/ Jerky project cylinder action #35  
How about some pictures of the boom and mast?

/ Jerky project cylinder action #36  
Another quick thought with a suspended load you may have to put a restictor [flow control] in the down side of a circuit. Restrict the flow of oil leaving the cylinder so it will not cavitate. Do not restrict both side of the cylinder you will just make the cavitation worse. CJ

I think what you are saying is the same as an over-running load.....yes, a restrictor (flow control) in a meter-out position would work

maybe a counterbalance valve plumbed and tweeked in to the bottom of cyl would help too with the suspended (over-running) load

/ Jerky project cylinder action #37  
I think what you are saying is the same as an over-running load.....yes, a restrictor (flow control) in a meter-out position would work

maybe a counterbalance valve plumbed and tweeked in to the bottom of cyl would help too with the suspended (over-running) load

Yes correct, I have not had great sucess with counterbalance valves. A lot of chattering when cold. The adjustable flow control has been the best for me in this case. We also build a "fuse" wich is just a orfice to control cyls in case of a line failure. CJ

They are open center but as soon as they are triggered in either direction 99.9% of the flow does not go to the ram, it goes to the relief valve and the system pressure gies to that setting, 1500 psi, then to the tank. Or us my understanding wrong?

Just ordered a cartridge for 500-1500 relief and will set it to just enough to lift the mast. The 500-600 psi setting should not stall the engine when all fluid is forced to go through the relief?
A needle valve on the lower and larger end of the ram should allow a slow fill setting on the ram and make it far less jerky. Finally I will bleed the ram of any air to stop any bounce in the mast?
Will my plan work?..??
Thanks so much for all your input and feel free to correct my approach if you see any issues.
Gray

photo (6).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto (1).JPGGentalmen,

I just got home and have taken a few pics for you all to examine this project.
One will show the drill end with the mast up and head about middle.
One has the unit folded down but you can see the hinge point is back from the rear of the machine and maybe you can spot the ram location and understand the it is a short pivot and requires power up and down due to the pivot geometry. This allows a worker to keep the unit set in place and tilt the mast and head away for well work and still not lose the allignment.

Hope these help the final fix?

Gray
Opps, I included the pic that shows how I worked on it in my garage that was 8 inches short rather than be outside in 10 below for weeks:))))))) Simple cieling patch!