Jerky project cylinder action

/ Jerky project cylinder action
The force is ample to lift the mast and then some.
At this time, I am going to check if I have the load check valve in my contol valve.
I am going to purge air from the ram.
I am going to see if I can get the lower pressure relief cart rage so I do not stall my engine with the high back pressures when not at full throttle.
A restrictor on the outlet of the ram may slow this harmonic to a good rate?

Any additions to this plan?

The valve is a 25 gpm and the pump is able to do 18 to 20 gpm at3000 rpm.
I have only run it at about 2400 to date and the psi relief on the valve at 1500 against the restriction of the ram causes a stall. I was thinking of a new low pressure cart in the valve to drop the stall chance if I do not get a new valve?
Gray

/ Jerky project cylinder action #23  
Where do you think you have high back pressure?

The only time the cyl or motors are developing full presure is when the motors are working very hard.

If you were to install a hyd gage n the IN port of the first valve, you can see the exact pressure that the hyd system is developing.

Hyd test set. Cost about $30

You can determine at what pressure will stall the engine.

You probably need to run that engine at max or get a larger engine.

How deep can you drill given the torque on the hyd motors?

Are you drilling while trying to raise the boom?

Attachments

• 3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 66
  • 3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 68
Just thought of an experiment to try?
I could run the head rotation and trigger the mast valve to see if this artificially lowers pressure and flow to see if the ram behaves?

Just got your post and will examine it for ideas. Then respond.
Thanks again for your help:)

/ Jerky project cylinder action #26  
Each component will develop it's own pressure.

You can limit the relief pressure on the last valve, which is the cyl valve, and that will limit the load you can raise.

What is the pressure rating on the hyd motors, and what configuration are you using. Series or parrallel.

JJ,
The motors are rated at 1500 psi.
The valves are in series with the motor contol valves with a power beyond to the ram valve.
I have not tried running the motor then trying the ram at the same time?

I have a gauge at the pump but not able to read it while alone.
The motor is rated to a 300 ft. If at full load but I do not expect more than 150'.
No try with both motor and ram at the same time yet.
My thought was that the cylinder size and shock along with all unused flow having to go through the relief valve causes the engine stall? Like when valved only into the ram, it takes almost nothing so the rest of the flow gies to the relief valve at 1500 psi so I have instant 1500 psi braking pressure?
Gray

/ Jerky project cylinder action #29  
Do you have the two spool valve set at about 1450 psi?

Now by doing that, the next valve is limited to 1450 psi, so it should be set the same, and that will limit the max load.

Do you have to hold the spool lever for the hyd motor, or is there a detent.

There are spool valve made specifically for hyd motors. There are also solenoid valves for hyd motors.

If the valves are in series, and you are using the hyd motors at half lever, then you still have half flow for the ram. Even that may be to much for steady and smooth operation.

Try this using the ram. Use a little bit of lever to allow a small amount of fluid for the ram. The fluid not used is passed on to the tank.

I have them both set at the lowest psi,,,,1500.
Yes, one will override the other if the valve is on but if off the power beyond should allow full flow and pressure to the second valve?

I am not sure right now as I am in a meeting:). I may have a load control in my valve as it will hold the mast at any angle if running or not. Does this mean I have a load control?