ford 3000, want to connect a 3 point hitch backhoe.

/ ford 3000, want to connect a 3 point hitch backhoe. #1  

Chrisb62

Tractor
Mf135, ford 3000
hi

im pretty new with tractors and hydraulics. hoping you can help me out.....

ive got a ford 3000 with a front end loader. i have a 3 point hitch backhoe, id like to use. the backhoe has 2 hydraulic lines off it, that
run up to the hydraulic bank where the controls are. it also has its own hydraulic fluid reservoir (im assuming thats what it is) but
nothings connected to it. the 2 ports are just plugged with a bolt.

the tractor. has some rear hydraulic lines that come from under the seat to the back. im wondering if i put the same quick connectors as
the backhoe on there, can i use that to power it.

heres a picture album i put together with descriptions.
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

if its not the right part on the ford, can i replace it with something else that is? and what would that be?

or the other option is, the front loader runs off a pump at the front of the tractor. can i tee off the lines from the pump, and run some
lines to the back for the backhoe?

thanks a lot.

/ ford 3000, want to connect a 3 point hitch backhoe. #2  
If that tank is a reservoir it should be quite a bit bigger. Would need to contain enough fluid to operate the hoe. And,,, if that's the intent then the hoe is designed to be ran by a PTO pump.

You might be able to use your rear remotes on the tractor to power the hoe. But it's going to be agonizingly slow. Your tractor has minimal hydraulic flow.

If you go to tractordata.com and research your tractor you might be able to find the GPM flow of the hydraulics.

/ ford 3000, want to connect a 3 point hitch backhoe.
Looks like it's 5 gpm. I don't even know what would be sufficient for a backhoe attachment

/ ford 3000, want to connect a 3 point hitch backhoe. #4  
To use effectively, 20gpm.

Ok well I'm not opposed to the I of a PTO pump. Then I could also use it on my mf135.

If I went that route. Too make sure I have the hoses going the right places.

Starting at the out on the pump. I'd go to the hydralic bank... Inflow i guess... Then the outflow off the bank to the top input on the reservoir. Then from the bottom output of the reservoir to the pump in?

Other then hoses, connections and the pump would that be everything I'd need? Or is there an important part I would also need?

Last edited:
   / ford 3000, want to connect a 3 point hitch backhoe. #6  
MF 135 is about 5gpm too. Our 9gpm is adequate to use it as a power shovel and it sure is easier then digging by hand , but it lacks power for sure.

this is a picture of the pressure side of the line from the pump into the controls. would i just be able to undo that 90 at the controls, add a tee fitting, put it back together. then run a line to the back for the backhoe quick connect? obviously the same for the return side into the reservoir?

tho i wonder if the loader reservoir has enough to run the backhoe.. maybe i can incorporate the backhoe reservoir at the same time?

20180402_181819.jpg

/ ford 3000, want to connect a 3 point hitch backhoe. #8  
Ok well I'm not opposed to the I of a PTO pump. Then I could also use it on my mf135.

If I went that route. Too make sure I have the hoses going the right places.

Starting at the out on the pump. I'd go to the hydralic bank... Inflow i guess... Then the outflow off the bank to the top input on the reservoir. Then from the bottom output of the reservoir to the pump in?

Other then hoses, connections and the pump would that be everything I'd need? Or is there an important part I would also need?

Nope, I think you've got it. Usually a large, low pressure hose going from reservoir to input of pump, smaller high pressure hose going from output of pump to valve bank, low pressure output from valve bank back to reservoir. Pretty simple. I've used a 3pt hoe ran that way. I also built a 3pt log splitter with the same system.

My only concern is your reservoir size?? How many gallon would you guess it holds?

/ ford 3000, want to connect a 3 point hitch backhoe. #9  
this is a picture of the pressure side of the line from the pump into the controls. would i just be able to undo that 90 at the controls, add a tee fitting, put it back together. then run a line to the back for the backhoe quick connect? obviously the same for the return side into the reservoir?

tho i wonder if the loader reservoir has enough to run the backhoe.. maybe i can incorporate the backhoe reservoir at the same time?

View attachment 546895

For clarity, is your loader powered by a crankshaft pump on the front of the tractor engine? Reservoir hanging on the side of the loader?

Yes, I think your idea at the 90 will work.

No, you can't tie the two reservoirs together unless you make one a sealed container. Otherwise one will overflow and spill out oil.

Hoping we can get some very knowledgeable hydraulics guys involved in this conversation.

Ya it runs off the crank at the front of the motor. It has the reservoir off the side of the loader.

I'm guessing it's roughly a 4 or 5 gallon reservoir. 4 or 5 for the one on the backhoe too.

I'm considering either a 3 way ball valve off the high pressure line. So I can either run the loader or the line to the back for the hoe. I was told a tee won't work because the fluid will just follow the path of least resistance, so rather then power the backhoe it would just flow through to the reservoir.

Or getting a PTO pump and running the hoe with it's own reservoir. Then I can use both still work at the same time. Not that I would really need that.

However a ball valve is a lot cheaper then a PTO pump

Also I have no idea how big of a reservoir the backhoe needs. But I'd imagine the one it has built into it would be the right size if that how it came.