witch concrete for balist box

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / witch concrete for balist box #1  

Chris2520

Platinum Member
I know this has been discussed many times. i even tried to search the forum.
I am getting ready to add concrete or cement to my balist box. I need it to be a heavy as possable. I know i heard morter , cement and concrete all have different weights. so witch is the heaviest to mix up and put in the balist box. do you think adding sand will help. i hear sand is quite heavy. I picked up a muffler pipe bender today that weighs 1600 pounds. and it was lite in the rear. even with the backhoe on. so much for JD's specs Hu...:D

Thanks Chris.....:)

/ witch concrete for balist box #2  
Portland cement should be the heaviest to use for your BB

/ witch concrete for balist box #3  
The easiest thing you can do is bag mix concrete which will be about 150 lbs per cubic foot. Sand can vary a bit in weight depending on the particle size and composition and it won't be as heavy as the concrete. Heavier would be to stack steel plates or elevator weights in there. Heavier still would be to fill it with lead. Personally, if my 3520 ever arrives (another week delay due to wrong backhoe braket!) I will we using concrete with some pvc pipes cast in for holding tools.

/ witch concrete for balist box #4  
I doubt it'll be a problem, but the 3-point is limited to 1433 lbs according to the specs (10 cubic feet of concrete based on the spec above).

You can also try extending the backhoe bucket in the mean time. While it will make the tractor much more prone to whacking into something on turns (not the voice of experience, of course :)) it will shift the center of mass back a bit more.

/ witch concrete for balist box #5  
I might be wrong, but I don't think a ballast box full of concrete is going to weigh more than your backhoe. I am amazed your over-pressure valves didn't kick if you picked up something heavy enough to make you light in the rear end with your hoe on.

/ witch concrete for balist box
jeffinsgf said:
I am amazed your over-pressure valves didn't kick if you picked up something heavy enough to make you light in the rear end with your hoe on.

Oh yes it will , This muffler pipe bender weighs 1860 pounds. I know for a fact. cause i weighed it ten years ago. at the steel scrap place next to my shop. and the pallet forks weighes 317 pounds according to JD. I can lift it to til the casters on the machine are a little over the headlights. before i start to feel the check valve kicking in . any way you cut it. thats 2177 pounds. At 6 to 12 inches. i can move it anywhere i want with no problem.
I concider it a legitimate lift. cause i moved if from my bacement. around the house and up to the garage. with no problem. and thats all that matters.This is the Extream. but i needed to move it. I was going to take a picture with it up even with the headlights. witch is about 3 feet. but when i attempted to get off the tractor. the back tires started to come off the ground. even with the backhoe on. my 250 body was just enough to keep it down. so i had to take the picture at about 8 inches up. but going slow at 6 to 10 inches . it was no problem. I am completely amazed at what this machine will do.:D JD really needs to get there specs in check.:rolleyes: i dont know where thay came up with that 996 mess. thats a joke. yesterday i loaded a fully dressed out bigblock 454 on to the pallet forks and loaded it into a trailer. at almost max height. the motor weighes 900 pounds and the pallet forks weighes 317.
that alone is 1217 to max height , and it was no problem i drove around with it. and it was not lite in the back at all. I think the specs are for a 2320. and thay just used the same for a 2520. and its wrong. someone ask in another thread if a 2320 would lift 1200 pound round bails. i dont think it would as i have used one. but i know a 2520 would have no problem at all. even with 1500 pounds. So unless i have a freak of nature. you can lift the back tires off the ground with the backhoe before the check valve hits.
Here is the pipe bender on the pallet forks as i was putting it in the garage.
I dont think i need to lift anything this heavy very often. But its nice to know if i need to. I can.....:) in the future folks concidering a 2520. this should answer alot of questions for you.....;)

Attachments

• 2007_0514_190004AA.JPG
    2007_0514_190004AA.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 655
  • 2007_0514_190035AA.JPG
    2007_0514_190035AA.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 497
   / witch concrete for balist box #7  
Keep in mind, however, that what the machine can lift and what it is rated for are two different things. Just as you can easily rev an engine past a red-line, the question becomes how many times can you lift things of that weight before breaking something?

Since the 2320 and 2520 are basically the same tractor from a wheels/tires/frame/axle/loader perspective, I would expect that the rated capacity would be the same. (I suspect the limiting factor is probably the front axle?)

/ witch concrete for balist box #8  
For information:

Mortar and cement are the products that go thru a curring process and essentially hold the aggregate [ sand or gravel ] together.

Concrete is cement mixed with gravel.

Mortar is mixed with sand for building block walls, brick walls etc. It is stickier than a cement product as it contains lime.

For counter weight get a container and use bags of sand. easy to adjust weight and cheap.

/ witch concrete for balist box #9  
I had to make a weight once to hang on the end of a drag line cable. Took off the dragline bucket and need to weight the end to use a hook. I used an empty beer ball with a throu piece of steel for the link between the cable and the hook. The beer ball I filled with concrete sand mix with old lead tire weights instead of gravel. It was pretty heavy. It still on the end of the cable about 20' up in the air. The beer ball casing is still there also.

/ witch concrete for balist box #10  
Phunge said:
Keep in mind, however, that what the machine can lift and what it is rated for are two different things. Just as you can easily rev an engine past a red-line, the question becomes how many times can you lift things of that weight before breaking something?

Since the 2320 and 2520 are basically the same tractor from a wheels/tires/frame/axle/loader perspective, I would expect that the rated capacity would be the same. (I suspect the limiting factor is probably the front axle?)

You have missed what 2520 owners have been saying, and clearly pointed out from prior posts regarding specifications posted from Deere. The machine is much more capable as in daily usage and printed specifications - its a signifcant upgrade over the 2320 - I owned one and quickly got rid of it because it was less of a performer than my 4100. And it turns out my 2520 is significantly stronger than my 4100. So here we are -

Duc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.