witch concrete for balist box

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / witch concrete for balist box #11  
jdbower said:
I doubt it'll be a problem, but the 3-point is limited to 1433 lbs according to the specs (10 cubic feet of concrete based on the spec above).

You can also try extending the backhoe bucket in the mean time. While it will make the tractor much more prone to whacking into something on turns (not the voice of experience, of course :)) it will shift the center of mass back a bit more.

Where you been? those specs are way off - try it yourself - especially for the 3pt....You will be lifting 1400 lbs plus all day long 24" inches out - :) :) :)

Last edited:
   / witch concrete for balist box #12  
Chris2520 said:
I know this has been discussed many times. i even tried to search the forum.
I am getting ready to add concrete or cement to my balist box. I need it to be a heavy as possable. I know i heard morter , cement and concrete all have different weights. so witch is the heaviest to mix up and put in the balist box. do you think adding sand will help. i hear sand is quite heavy. I picked up a muffler pipe bender today that weighs 1600 pounds. and it was lite in the rear. even with the backhoe on. so much for JD's specs Hu...:D

Thanks Chris.....:)

JD used to have approx weights based on the different types of cement -
for the weight box that should have come with the loader. I used portland cement filled to a few inches below the top. My guess thats 700-800 lbs but I need to look at my old 4100 manual to see if thats correct. I think the hoe is the heavier of the two. In my case I added RimGuard which is almost as heavy as CaCL without the corrosiveness or toxicity. My guess my wheels are 400 lbs each now....you might want to do that - its cheap to do typically less than $200 for both...

/ witch concrete for balist box #13  
Yeah, I know Deere's numbers are conservative (especially for the 2520, it seems) but from a past life I still sometimes feel compelled to point out the published specs :)

For filling tires, here is a chart to estimate weights:
Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast

That prompted me to find this on cement/concrete:
Concrete Technology | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Unit Weights | Portland Cement Association (PCA)

And this on the densities of other materials (yeah, I know it's in metric but bigger numbers are still bigger numbers :)):
Mass, Weight, Density or Specific Gravity of Bulk Materials

/ witch concrete for balist box
Phunge said:
Keep in mind, however, that what the machine can lift and what it is rated for are two different things. Just as you can easily rev an engine past a red-line, the question becomes how many times can you lift things of that weight before breaking something?

Since the 2320 and 2520 are basically the same tractor from a wheels/tires/frame/axle/loader perspective, I would expect that the rated capacity would be the same. (I suspect the limiting factor is probably the front axle?)

2320 and 2520 are not the same at all. in performance. 2320 is closer to the 2305 than 2520. same motor , single pump and same pump as 2305. 2520 is more of a comercial tractor..;)

Last edited:
kennyd said:
Portland cement should be the heaviest to use for your BB

Kenny , you know someone else told me that. and i was wondering. is that what you have in yours. do you know the weight of your box. I will not be putting pvc pipe of anything like that. i want it as heavy as possable.:)

/ witch concrete for balist box #16  
Chris2520 said:
You have missed what 2520 owners have been saying, and clearly pointed out from prior posts regarding specifications posted from Deere. The machine is much more capable as in daily usage and printed specifications - its a signifcant upgrade over the 2320 - I owned one and quickly got rid of it because it was less of a performer than my 4100. And it turns out my 2520 is significantly stronger than my 4100. So here we are -

Ducati996 said:
2320 and 2520 are not the same at all. in performance. 2320 is closer to the 2305 than 2520. same motor , single pump and same pump as 2305. 2520 i more of a comercial tractor..;)

You guys are missing the point. I clearly stated in my post "2320 and 2520 are basically the same tractor from a wheels/tires/frame/axle/loader perspective". I understand they have different engines and pumps.

If the JD specification for safe lifting capacity is based on the strength of the weakest link, perhaps the front axle, then an engine and pump from a D9 dozer would not improve the lifting capacity. In fact, the additional weight of the engine/pump on the front axle would reduce the capacity of the loader.

In my mind, you've definitely exceeded the rated capacity of the tractor (which is based on more than pure hydraulic capability). Though the tractor may do it, it may not be able to do it safely or reliably, thus the reason for JD's seemingly under-rated specs. Clearly, continued over-loading of the tractor beyond it's rated specifications could have adverse effects.

I'm sure there's more to JDs rating than a simple typo.

/ witch concrete for balist box #17  
Chris2520 said:
Kenny , you know someone else told me that. and i was wondering. is that what you have in yours. do you know the weight of your box. I will not be putting pvc pipe of anything like that. i want it as heavy as possable.:)
Here is what I know, per the Manual for my 410 loader-page 15-11:

CALCULATED BALLAST:
BALLAST
W/EXT. / 176lbs / 104lbs / 308lbs
TOTAL
WEIGHT / 800lbs / 1018lbs / 1330lbs

So, Without the BB extension, the box weighs 616lbs w/sand, 780lbs w/ concrete, and 1014lbs w/Portland cement.

I used regular cement from the local rental place that sells Redi-Mix U-Cart concrete. I just put the BB on my trailer and drove there and they filled it! Troweled it when I got home! Don't forget to seal the inside seams first with duct tape or silicone or the water will run out and make a mess! (been there, got the T-shirt!)

If I only had a scanner it would be easier to scan the page...doesn't your 210 manual have a page on ballasting the tractor when using the loader?

I dont know if the manual said or not. I trust yall more than JD specs.:D
Thanks for the info kenny. I will get some portland. and filler up.....:)

wonder how many bags of portland it would take to fill a JD balist box to the top?

Last edited:
Phunge said:
You guys are missing the point. I clearly stated in my post "2320 and 2520 are basically the same tractor from a wheels/tires/frame/axle/loader perspective". I understand they have different engines and pumps.

If the JD specification for safe lifting capacity is based on the strength of the weakest link, perhaps the front axle, then an engine and pump from a D9 dozer would not improve the lifting capacity. In fact, the additional weight of the engine/pump on the front axle would reduce the capacity of the loader.

In my mind, you've definitely exceeded the rated capacity of the tractor (which is based on more than pure hydraulic capability). Though the tractor may do it, it may not be able to do it safely or reliably, thus the reason for JD's seemingly under-rated specs. Clearly, continued over-loading of the tractor beyond it's rated specifications could have adverse effects.

I agree 100%. I know this lift was extream. and not something i would do often. But i bought the machine to do what needs doing. and if object A needs to be moved from Point A to point B and the machine will pick it up and not tos me over the steering wheel. object A is going to be moved...:D
and i showed you , I can move it....;)

/ witch concrete for balist box #20  
Phunge said:

You missed the point again - they arent basically the same. That includes engine, axle (front and especially the rear), hydrolics, wheels and alot more (where does the extra weight come from? the longer wheelbase?).
Deeres specifications are loaded with to many Typo's to be credible. I mentioned this and pointed out the specification errors repeatedly.
Besides I have to ask - arent you still shopping? wasnt it recently you were looking at box store units and decided to look at other larger machines? While I appreciate you words of caution, I like to count on my own years of experience and of owning different models (specifically those in question) to draw my own conclusions and factor in any safety margins that might be required. Now lets say the deere specs are correct, they now have an issue of every single 2520 being more capable than specified out of the factory - How long do you think Deere would allow that, since they would be liable in many ways - either warranty repair or possible injury because something failed? These machines have been available for 2 years now (maybe more), and all the machines are this way with no changes forthcoming. My .02 cents

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.