JD 2130 Transmission

/ JD 2130 Transmission #11  
squera1
The hyd hi-lo is capable of being shifted on the go up or down. As stated there should be a noticeable speed change between the 2 speeds.

/ JD 2130 Transmission #12  
JD110
Sorry but you stated backwards operation. Forward is high speed,rearward is low speed.

Actually I think you have it backwards. Lever forward = LO = Turtle. Lever backward = HI = Rabbit

/ JD 2130 Transmission #13  
Sorry for my mistake and thanks for correcting me. It's been a long time since I've seen a JD utility with the hyd hi-lo.

/ JD 2130 Transmission #14  
The 39 year old 2030 in my avatar has HI-LO, that's how I know ;)

/ JD 2130 Transmission #15  
Front pump has nothing to do with transmission high/low , reverser or hydraulic engaged independent pto if optioned with such.
Odds are that the transmission screen has been in there for 37 years is covered with floating goo.
Trans oil should be drained, flushed and filled with Hy-Gard.
Wet sleeve engine should have the coolant corrosion inhibitor checked with a chemical test strip from a diesel shop. The sleeves/liners tend to cavitate and leak if not protected.
Is there a loader or other hydraulic attachment on the tractor?

/ JD 2130 Transmission
Yes, has a loader with opening "clam" bucket, but it wasn't in use when the problem occurred!

/ JD 2130 Transmission #17  
Loader does not have to be in use to cause problems. Where is the loader supplied from? What kind of control valve?

/ JD 2130 Transmission
I don't actually know where it's supplied from, but loader is available whenever motor is running...(not the PTO hydraulics)
From memory, control valves are on a 4 way stick to the right of the dashboard, with a solenoid button to select clam operation.
I don't know if it's "open spool" or "closed spool" Hydraulic control valving;

/ JD 2130 Transmission #19  
There is a pto pump on the tractor as well as the factory pumps ?
The transmission pump is a low 165lb pressure pump with approx 4-5gpm. It applies the hydraulic pto clutch and brake if optioned with such. The trans pump also supplies either reverser clutch packs or high low clutch packs if equipped with either of those options. Then the trans pump supplies filtered oil to h transmission bearings. Any remaining oil is pumped up front to the high pressure pump and the cooler/reservoir . If the front pump demand is minimal and the cooler/reservoir is full. Cooled oil flows back to the transmission sump.
If the loader joystick internals are open Center or if an o'ring has failed in a closed Center valve. It will make the front pump operate at max capacity.
The control valve for the "grapple" must be closed Center or it will cause problems.
Loader oil should be supplied from a "T" in the high pressure line that supplies the rocks haft and scv valves.
Oil must must must be returned to a ported hydraulic filter cover. Dumping oil direct the transmission sump will starve and capitate the 12gpm or 18gpm front high pressure pump.
Odds are as others have suggested . That the transmission oil screen and/or the filter is full of ick and goo.
If that ick and goo is fine grey metal due to worn out brake linings. It may cost more to repair the tractor than what it's worth.
Using the wrong oil that is not wet clutch compatible. Or if the oil is contaminated with dirt or water. That will make the friction material peel off the clutches and brakes. Very bad news.

/ JD 2130 Transmission
Thanks for the info; it will be Easter before I get another chance to visit the farm where the tractor lives; Im planning a transmission oil change, filter change and suction screen clean as a starting point, then I'll try to do some more diagnosis if these don't show anything obvious!
How is the oil suction screen held in? (It's not obvious from the parts exploded drawings). Once the plug is removed, does the screen just pull out, or is it mounted somehow else? I'm presuming it slips over (or into) a fitting at the opposite end to the plug, but I'd rather be fore-warned if there are any tricks to removing it!
I'll also have a close look at the loader hydraulic oil return, since I'm told the loader was added when the tractor was already a few years old.
thanks for all your help!